Quantcast

El Cidmandante

el-cid

Chimp
Nov 4, 2004
Anaconda, MT, USA
Well, I've had this one in my head for quite a while; it just took the stars lining up to make it happen. The main thing I needed to do was to let go of my SyCip Diesel 26er single speed. I loved that bike but once I started riding 29ers I couldn't get myself to ride it any more, so it got passed on to a new owner and some of it's parts got recycled onto this bike.

I just got it together today so I haven't had a chance to ride it yet (theme in here lately, huh?). I probably won't ride it for a while either, the Pugsley is a better tool to use in the snow here in Montana right now anywhoo. I was pleasantly surprised by the final build weight - 23.1 lbs. with bottle cages and some heavy parts (Reba, Jones bars, cheapo Shimano pedals).

Build kit:
Semi-custom 18"/20" Ventana El Comandante frame
Rock Shox Reba SL fork, 100mm travel (for now at least)
Torquoise King Headset
Moots Ti-Beam stem, 120mm 0 rise
Moots ti. headset spacers, 15mm & 25mm
Moots Straight-Laced seatpost, 380mm
Bontrager Race Light saddle, ti. rails
Jones H-Bars
Hayes Mag XC Brakes
White Industries ENO Crankset, pewter/ti. color (exclusive to The Path bike shop)
32 tooth ENO chainring
Shimano 540 SPD pedals
18 tooth Endless cog
King universal disc SS Hubs
Stan's Arch 29er rims
Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 tires
blue valve caps

I'm thinking this will be my racing weapon of choice next year. Last year I built up a rigid ti. 29er single speed and rode it more than any of my other bikes, I think this bike is going to be even better.

Attachments

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Looks like you have plenty of clearance with the Schwalbes there. Kinda hard to have such a nice rig and not be able to ride it right away. That must have been tough!

el-cid

Chimp
Nov 4, 2004
Anaconda, MT, USA
GT, I'm pretty anal retentive about the appearance of my bikes so I really don't want to go muck it out in the snow. I keep all my bikes in the house (I counted 16 just upstairs tonight when I was moving them around) and I have the El Co where I can enjoy it every day. I have been able to get the Pugsley out though so I can still get my pedal fix.

I was kind of nervous about the clearance with the RRs in the frame but there is plenty of clearance. The chainstays are pretty fat but they've got a nice curve in them to provide both tire and heel clearance.