Quantcast

el corte de madera

kobidge

Chimp
Sep 30, 2005
foster city, ca
i was wondering if anybody has ever done shuttle runs from skeggs point down to star hill road? i went there for the first time yesterday, and it was definitely a lot of fun, especially since i'm still a beginner, so the technical/uphill parts were a great experience. if it's possible to shuttle i'd definitely be down, but all of my buddies that ride live down in santa cruz, so it's going to be a bit of a challenge to get them to leave their home turf.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
I have. We started riding at one of the first gates you see if you are coming northbound from Woodside rd. then went down to the bottom of star hill where we had a car waiting. It's not worth it imo. You still have a b!tch of a climb in store for you just to get up to star hill, at least the way we went. I think we took Giant Salamander or something to the bottom. I'd use that place for more xc type of stuff and forget about shuttling the place. Just session Steam Donkey over and over again.

kobidge

Chimp
Sep 30, 2005
foster city, ca
it's not a matter of being lazy, it's just trying to get my friends from sc to come up and ride up here, lol.

when i was there i took el corte madera creek trail all the way to resolution trail, took that to the top, then went back down b/c the climb up was very interesting! lol. althought that fireroad back out of el corte was the climb from hell, but that won't stop me from trying it again.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
kobidge said:
it's not a matter of being lazy, it's just trying to get my friends from sc to come up and ride up here, lol.
It won't kill them to pedal up once in a while...it'll get you in shape really quickly.

when i was there i took el corte madera creek trail all the way to resolution trail, took that to the top, then went back down b/c the climb up was very interesting! lol. althought that fireroad back out of el corte was the climb from hell, but that won't stop me from trying it again.
Good job...it is a pretty long climb back out but you'll be in great shape before you know it riding there.

I'm actually glad that Skeggs is not shuttle friendly...this place is in trouble already without having people riding Dh bikes at Mach speed down those tight singletrack trails.

We have very few singletrack trails in the Bay Area as it is...It is XC heaven. There are more shuttle friendly areas around that are not as crowded.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Really, do you need a DH bike to ride Skeggs? I would go to Pacifica if I wanted to shuttle.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
sanjuro said:
Really, do you need a DH bike to ride Skeggs? I would go to Pacifica if I wanted to shuttle.
How do you shuttle Pacifica? :think: Do you know a way to shuttle the Crack, 911, Mile, etc? Or are you taking about other stuff?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Acadian said:
There is a shuttle in Pacifica :cool:
All the way up to the Crack and shizz? Hmmmm, care to fill me in? Drop me a PM or something...I don't mind earning it once or maybe twice a day but it would be good to get more runs...

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
OGRipper said:
All the way up to the Crack and shizz? Hmmmm, care to fill me in? Drop me a PM or something...I don't mind earning it once or maybe twice a day but it would be good to get more runs...

Umm....I also wouldn't mind a pm on that one (pretty please). You know my nick name...ol' tight lips.

kobidge

Chimp
Sep 30, 2005
foster city, ca
Yea, at El Corte that was the most uphill I've done so far. I was riding Russian Ridge all week, able to do more and more uphill each time I went up there, and then at El Corte I pushed it and rode all the uphill on the single track. I'm still horribly out of shape, so I had to make sure I just stopped every now and then before I got too tired, but after a quick breather I was able to go at it again.

Joe Pozer said:
There are more shuttle friendly areas around that are not as crowded.
Really? I'm still very new to riding, and I only really know about the open space preserves off of 35, and the UCSC trails, which were the first trails I ever rode... definitely not the best trails to start on, but I had to learn fast.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
Acadian said:
don't be lazy...there is a rason you have gears on your bike :rolleyes:
thank you luc. the word shuttling should be banned from ridemonkey. if you dont want to ride your bike, take the pedals off and put a stick through your bottom bracket.

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
I wouldn't want to shuttle at Skeggs. The trails really aren't that steep or technical, plus there's always the chance that some lame ranger will give you a speeding ticket. The posted limit is 15 mph.