Quantcast

Electrolyte imbalance

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
People people people, ya need your eletrolytes in addition to fuel and water.

A friend today got picked up by the sag wagon in the MS150 cuz she didn't manage her intake properly -- too much water and NOT replacing the minerals.

I know the first idea for someone suffering an imbalance is gatorade, but that stuff just sucks. If you or someone you know has an imbalance, try to get some OJ, V8, banana or the more powerful drink mixes like Cytomax, whatever. I'm ranting cuz the medics at the aid station wanted her to drink some gatorade on the way home -- someone else drove her. Gatorade :rolleyes:

so, just a reminder, water is NOT enough when you're pushing yourself for several hours.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
He has been sipping Haterade.

I just sip on bloody maries while I ride. They have plenty of Na.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ok, sorry, there's nothing specifically wrong with Gatorade. I just don't like the marketing. The last time I compared labels, there was zero comparison to the benefits of it versus many other options.

Serial Midget said:
Yep - it is a serious concern - hyponatremia... not sure who it is spelled but it common among women in ultra-distance running.
A buddy of mine heard on the news that a guy backpacking in the mountains here died from an overdose of water. From what he heard, the experts believe the guy spent a strenous day hiking, got back to his camp dehydrated and (supposedly) drank nearly 3 gallons of water in some bizarre attempt to fix his dehydration. They found him dead a couple days later :( something about the water thinning his blood so much that the pressure just dropped.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
don't forget this too, take tums if you start to cramp. it's cheaper than those salt tablets and comes in a variety of tastes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Endurolyte tablets rule. Drink what ever you want, just pop back a few of those and your good to go. I like taking pills too, makes me feel like a rock star or a depressed wealthy housewife.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
pixelninja said:
Opie, did you ride the Triple Bypass this weekend?
no :( due to unexpected financial crap, I couldn't afford the $165 for the ride. But did do my own little version... see your FR photo thread :)