Quantcast

***eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, GMT***

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Decided to go climb one of the mountains I can see out of my windows - riding from home.

4 hours of climbing got us to 11500ft, then the windchill froze us on the downhill despite precautions.

58miles, 6850ft vert on a mix of dirt road, single track and roads.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It was cold today.

Ate shit on a log ride, too. Totally landed on my shitty shoulder, which was a good test. Shoulder is great, but my knee and a muscle under my left titty aren't so good. I also snotted everywhere when I hit the ground. Only an idiot would try to ride an icey log ride....repeatedly. :rofl:

What a great day on the bike though. Cold as balls, but the ground was mostly frozen and grippy. The tires were making some great sounds.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Nope - just one big one. And the boys I was with extended it - I quit after Green Mountain and rode the old road back to the parking lot.

The new Scraggy trails adds some decent mileage to a loop up there... and some decent elevation - almost 4K for the day.
I think I just prefer the big loop without hitting Scraggy or Greens. I think I've only bothered with Scraggy once and didn't think that much of it, Greens is a bitch of a climb to get to the top, with just an okay payoff.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Small case of Montezuma's revenge today, didn't keep us from the ruins at Tulum. Wow, the beach under the ruins is spectacular.
Stayed in a palm frond roof hut below those ruins on the beach there about 20 years ago. Lotsa snorkelling, wall diving and even went cave diving in the cenotes. That was highly irresponsible.

Got caught enjoying some local produce around a campfire by some heavily armed cops one night too. They took my passport. I thought I was doomed.

Some smooth talkin Chilean dude we met around the campfire saved our bacon that night. The fact we were Canadians (not Americans) played a part in my life not being effed forever (so I was told...)

Ah, the salad days...

Friends of mine who stayed another few days found a pillow-sized bundle full of white powder washed up on the beach about a week later. They freaked out and turned it in to the front desk.

I think they likely earned an upgrade to a hut with a floor, but they never heared about the matter again.

#coolstorybro

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Time to call the day. Been going full speed around the house since 6am.

- New carpet for the basement is scheduled. $3200 I have confirmed my disdain for cats, especially if they aren't mine.

- Haley's new bedroom furniture is finished. My parents thought she'd like new furniture with her new bedroom and because we're taking her furniture for the baby, so they ordered a bunch of stuff online. Raised bed with drawers, a headboard, and large dresser later, she loves it. My back hates me.

- Baby crib has been rebuilt and shelves installed in bedroom.

- Tons of boxes moved to the basement and unloaded.

- Desktop computer and printer are setup, but I have no interner for them, just Wi-Fi for the laptops. The seller took the switch from the network box when he left, so nothing in a house wired for Cat5 goes anywhere now. Last time I checked and my agent confirmed, that is considered to be an attached part of the house. It's like taking the fucking electrical box. But then again, so were the three sets of window hardware that were removed, despite us specifically stating that it was to be left when they took the valances. Given I know nothing of any sort there, I think I'm going to have to pay somebody to come get our network setup. Really pissed off about that.

- Issues with broken appliances not caught by the inspector, the kitchen sink in the basement flat out doesn't work... Shit like this is popping up. I'm going to have a lot of work to do while having rd 2 and dealing with my CFP

And today we got to tell Haley her bff's mom and go to hug from her last school died from cancer and we're going to her memorial tomorrow. That was awesome... But at least she knows it's okay to say 'fuck cancer' and can explain why. Trying to explain cancer to a 5 year old is hard. Especially when you don't want to make them think that it's "getting sick", because that will fuck with a kid.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Spent most of the day hanging out with an ex navy pilot that is dealing with MS, Cancer and recent toe amputation ( My Wife)

helped her get back on her horse for the first time since having the toe removed

Then I took her out for some Shawarma for lunch

Finally late afternoon I went out for a sunset Mt Bike ride... it rocked

excellent day

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Nice! I didn't hear it. Did they talk about how blown out the hop supply is?
They did say the supply exceeds the demand. And your selection has to many varieties that change year to year to when you need to be consistent with a few varieties. The drone footage flying down the valley and reserve was impressive.....

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
They did say the supply exceeds the demand. And your selection has to many varieties that change year to year to when you need to be consistent with a few varieties. The drone footage flying down the valley and reserve was impressive.....
Yeah sounds about right. Everybody is looking for the hop that no one else has. Brewers are building beers on "I got this new hop with a fancy name." Then there's the pro's who are winning competitions on the old standard varieties, paying half the money and just knowing how to utilize.

Yeah sounds about right. Everybody is looking for the hop that no one else has. Brewers are building beers on "I got this new hop with a fancy name." Then there's the pro's who are winning competitions on the old standard varieties, paying half the money and just knowing how to utilize.
And around here there's some damn nice beer being brewed with hops from tiny local yards with go dreams of going big. Know your local brewer and get it while you can!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think I'm going to have to pay somebody to come get our network setup. Really pissed off about that.
How many Cat5 cables is the house wired for? Should be easy to grab a small switch to plug them all in to and have the cable/DSL plug into it too.

Spent most of the day hanging out with an ex navy pilot that is dealing with MS, Cancer and recent toe amputation ( My Wife)
Bad ass!

Yeah - to be honest... there aren't a lot of big payoffs anywhere out at Buff Crik.
I like the downhill once you start heading down Charlies Cutoff

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
How many Cat5 cables is the house wired for? Should be easy to grab a small switch to plug them all in to and have the cable/DSL plug into it too.
I'll put together a thread in the tech subforum before I call somebody. The secondary part of the issue is the actual internet itself. This guy did a great job of hiding cables for things like TVs but at the same time made it incredibly difficult for normal people.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'll put together a thread in the tech subforum before I call somebody. The secondary part of the issue is the actual internet itself. This guy did a great job of hiding cables for things like TVs but at the same time made it incredibly difficult for normal people.
Jon ftw. I need a bunch of lan cables, another splitter for my office, and a larger cable splitter (I have a 2>4+3 and need 10), but we're cooking with fire now.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What you want is an unmanaged gigabit Ethernet switch, or 3. 8 port should be in the range of $25. Don’t know 16 port offhand since I haven’t bought one recently.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Decided to go climb one of the mountains I can see out of my windows - riding from home.

4 hours of climbing got us to 11500ft, then the windchill froze us on the downhill despite precautions.

58miles, 6850ft vert on a mix of dirt road, single track and roads.
where did you go, Squaw Pass?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
And around here there's some damn nice beer being brewed with hops from tiny local yards with go dreams of going big. Know your local brewer and get it while you can!
Sounds like fun! Once I called on Trout River and the brewer was washing kegs. He said he was trying to finish so he could go for a ride. I said "sweet, can i chase you around?" He said, "sure man." So we went for a ride and it was a good time. And thats the story about how I rode a mountain bike on nice trails somewhere near Springfield Vermont.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
@stoney like @Toshi said, cheap unmanaged gigabit switches in each locale that needs multiple cables but only has a single wall port.

edit: You might not even need another larger switch in the closet with the DSL/Cable if the modem has enough ports on it for all the smaller switches to plug straight in.

@Nick, from ours, down to Evergreen, up Bear Creek, up Witter Gulch, up Squaw Pass Rd to the summit of Squaw (up past the gun range area on the dirt roads), then wound our way home another route.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What you want is an unmanaged gigabit Ethernet switch, or 3. 8 port should be in the range of $25. Don’t know 16 port offhand since I haven’t bought one recently.
I have one for ethernet and I was just going to get the same one I already have. What I need is one for cable too. The whole house is run cat5 and cable to each room. I need to sort out which cable line goes to which room, then how many splitters I need from there.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
@stoney like @Toshi said, cheap unmanaged gigabit switches in each locale that needs multiple cables but only has a single wall port.

edit: You might not even need another larger switch in the closet with the DSL/Cable if the modem has enough ports on it for all the smaller switches to plug straight in.
Cable modem only has one plug, so I need a switch that can take 12 ports. Then I have a self-contained mess around my desktop that needs 5 (desktop, printer, magic jack, solar panel info system, hardline for work laptop).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Do you really need coax/cable drops to 12 different places? Figure out where you actually need that shit and then split the coax only as much as you need to.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Do you really need coax/cable drops to 12 different places? Figure out where you actually need that shit and then split the coax only as much as you need to.
To clarify, the cable modem has a coax input and ethernet output. The house is wired for 12 cat5 ports and so I need a switch that can take 12 ports +1 for the modem input.
The house has 8 coax outlets + 1 needed for the cable modem. I need to figure out which rooms are going to get TV and which are not, then I can setup up the cable routing accordingly.
I'm stuck on the main room TV right now because they didn't use traditional cable, so the only cable outlet is in a closet on the other side of the wall. In theory I should be able to run an HDMI line through the wall to the TV into the cable box, which is hooked up to the ethernet with no problems, but that is not what I am experiencing. I am not able to get the cable to work properly.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
holy shit dude. tech must be super important to you. i literally can't recall the last time i thought that much about how much my house was "wired". i have one cable coming into it somewheres that delivers teh innerwebs. it gets sent out to various devices via a wireless router of some sort. we get "tv" either via digital antenna or chromecast. it seems rather hard/stressful/complicated to live the monocle life. GLWML. and the ///house.