Quantcast

Elixr CR/Code combo

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
im looking to do something different for this year and was looking for s'more power outa my brakes.

i love my Elixr CR levers but wanted to get some Code calipers to hopefully get some more power outa the system.

has anyone else used this combo? pros? cons?

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I personally have not run this set up but I know someone who has/currently is. He doesn't officially work for SRAM/RS but he does do quite a bit of product testing. I have been lucky to get a few hand-me downs from him in the past and I am hoping to snag these from him since he has raved about the set up. The levers do have way better ergonomics and modulation than the code levers and the power is retained from the bigger calipers. They will be slightly heavier than an all Elixir set up but not by a lot. The performance gain sounds like it is totally worth it. I plan on running this exact set up as soon as the opportunity arises.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
I did run the ultimate/code set-up which i believe would be fairly similar. (Thanks for hookin me up with those Jason :) )

Anyways, id assume the same as my old set up, kind of in the middle. on the code side, less power then code/code, yet more then elixer/code. then on the other side, better modulation then code/code.

but what do i know really? all i know is that i liked them, a good distribution of modulation and power.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
your ultimate/code combo had more power than elixr/codes? are the ultimate levers better b/c of not having the taper bore?

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
**** I was meant to do this all year last year, just never got round to ordering some new lines. I figured a new set of Goodridge hoses would be the best way to go.

Very interested in hearing your thoughts if you go ahead.

I used to love my old Ultimate/Code combo, perfect balance between power and modulation. My current Elixirs are damn good, loads of power they just don't have the same drag your arse all the way down the hill ability of the Code calipers.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
I'm probably wrong but looking at the lines on my Elixirs and what was on my Code/Ultimate combo they didn't look compatible, didn't want to risk cracking them open to find they wouldn't go together, basically just laziness...

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
the Elixir fitting on the caliper end of the line is different then the fitting used on the code.

If you don't want to buy a new line you can just cut the caliper fitting off as the code just uses the same fittings that are used at the lever side.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I run a juicy carbon lever with the elixir cr caliper. It is the best brake for DH that I have tried in years and I have tried almost every brand.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
who said they arent reliable?? and who said i want something besides what i posted?
Well sorry! haha. I was just suggesting them, I didn't mean to step on your toes? Anyways, I have owned codes for a full season. At the end I blew the master cylinder, which you will be solving anyways I suppose by getting new brake levers. Also, this pistons after a while didn't return either, and I bled them enough where they should have.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
what?
how is that going to help if im not using a code lever?
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my previous post.

All the Avid levers connect to the hose with the same fittings.

The Code caliper uses the same fittings to connect to the hose as the lever.

The Elixir caliper uses a different fitting to connect to the hose.

This is all in response to monkey****er's post:

I'm probably wrong but looking at the lines on my Elixirs and what was on my Code/Ultimate combo they didn't look compatible, didn't want to risk cracking them open to find they wouldn't go together, basically just laziness...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It may not help but I found out that using metallic pads instead of organic increase the power a lot.
i tried that. the stock compound stinks and i barely got 2 months outa them. i want something with just a bit more power
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my previous post.

All the Avid levers connect to the hose with the same fittings.

The Code caliper uses the same fittings to connect to the hose as the lever.

The Elixir caliper uses a different fitting to connect to the hose.
thanks, that makes more sense, especially after looking at the calipers. i think my buddys shop should have the nuts and ferrules ill need to connect to the caliper.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
If you want reliability and power, I would suggest the newer saint brakes.

This isn't pinkbike guy.

All the parts and info is available on BTI's site. I was thinking about doing the same thing last year.

I would look into running Juicy levers. If you look at any WC rider almostall them were running a juicy carbon lever with either a code or elixir caliper. There has to be areason for that. Maybe fraiser will chime in with some insight?

Not that it says much but buffalo mike didn't really like his elixir levers. Could just be his knockwurst fingers.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
This isn't pinkbike guy.

All the parts and info is available on BTI's site. I was thinking about doing the same thing last year.

Not that it says much but buffalo mike didn't really like his elixir levers. Could just be his knockwurst fingers.
thats where im getting most of my info...BTI.

i love my Elixr levers, just dont like the two piston calipers. my Gustavs were too powerful with crappy levers and my Hayes just didnt have the power i wanted anymore.

i think most pro's are running the Juicy levers b/c it lacks the taper bore BS

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Don't waste time. Just sell your elixirs and get codes. Simple as that. I am sure sram did something really miniscule to make the code slightly better anyway. The difference won't be noticeable, but the big talkers on RM will rant and rave about how they can feel that difference, when chances are they probably don't ride.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Don't waste time. Just sell your elixirs and get codes. Simple as that. I am sure sram did something really miniscule to make the code slightly better anyway. The difference won't be noticeable, but the big talkers on RM will rant and rave about how they can feel that difference, when chances are they probably don't ride.
why would i do that? i dont like the Code levers. i like my Elixr levers. maybe you know something that i dont?? oh wait, i doubt that

and if you cant feel the difference b/w the Code and Elixr calipers then i dont know what to say to you.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
i think most pro's are running the Juicy levers b/c it lacks the taper bore BS
Is there less power with the taper?

I love my elixrs and haven't noticed the difference from my Jucys.

Note: I am running my elixrs on a hardtail/DJ bike and my jucys on my big bike so I haven't really done a back to back comparison.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
Is there less power with the taper?

I love my elixrs and haven't noticed the difference from my Jucys.

Note: I am running my elixrs on a hardtail/DJ bike and my jucys on my big bike so I haven't really done a back to back comparison.
The taperbore gives more modulation but because the elixir has larger pistons you should also find more power compared to the juicys.

d-tard

Chimp
Sep 11, 2009
I've been using the Elixer/Code combo on my front only, found i didn't need it on the rear and only have really liked it, love the feel of the Elixer and a little more power up front has been nice on those long Whistler runs (for what it's worth). Save a few $$ and just do the front first would be my suggestion.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
finally got some Code calipers and trying to get the hose fittings sorted now.

question. does the banjo on the Code calipers not move? i seem to recall a friend's banjo rotating on his Code 3 or 5's

Huck_Finn

Chimp
Jul 4, 2009
finally got some Code calipers and trying to get the hose fittings sorted now.

question. does the banjo on the Code calipers not move? i seem to recall a friend's banjo rotating on his Code 3 or 5's
I have Code 5's. The banjo does not rotate.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
I switched this yr from the 1st gen Saints (actually the front caliper was a 2pot XT) to a set of Elixer levers with Code calipers. Except for more overall power, this setup have been less consistent as far as where the lever engages throughout a day of dhing, don't have nearly the feel or modulation, and are a pain to work on in comparison to my old Shimano's. The stock Elixer's and Codes that I have parking lot tested definitely felt better than my hybrid combo as well ,but it's hard to tell without any real riding. The new 2011 Codes my girlfriend is running are a big step up according to her over her older Codes (and to my parking lot test). You could wait a few months for them instead?

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Except for more overall power, this setup have been less consistent as far as where the lever engages throughout a day of dhing, don't have nearly the feel or modulation, and are a pain to work on in comparison to my old Shimano's. The stock Elixer's and Codes that I have tried, definitely felt better than my hybrid combo as well. The new 2011 Codes my girlfriend has feel awesome and are what I wish was running for dh FYI except for the stupid reach adjustment on them..
the ones ive tried have felt great and specialized spec'd these "hybrid" brakes on their Demo completes

howd she get the 2011's? i thought they werent out yet