Quantcast

Elixr CR/Code combo

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
the ones ive tried have felt great and specialized spec'd these "hybrid" brakes on their Demo completes

howd she get the 2011's? i thought they werent out yet
What levers are the Demos spec'd with? I am using the baseline Elixr lever's and have bled em countless times with Motul dot5 can't get them to work as well as I'd like. Wondering if I should have gotten the CR levers instead?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
finally got some runs in with the new setup after multiple bleeds to get them feeling good.

they arent as on-off as a good set of full Codes, but they still have a lot more power than the standard Elixr models. i was hoping for a bit more power, but maybe another bleed after my last ride, will make them feel the way i want them to.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
been riding with my setup all season. i guess my LBS got the bleed down correctly the first time, cause i havent had to re-bleed them yet.

definitely a little more modulation than full Codes. i like how the Elixir levers feel more than the Codes though, thats really the only plus point i have. no negatives though. if i didnt find the levers for dirt cheap, i probably wouldnt have done the swap.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
been riding with my setup all season. i guess my LBS got the bleed down correctly the first time, cause i havent had to re-bleed them yet.

definitely a little more modulation than full Codes. i like how the Elixir levers feel more than the Codes though, thats really the only plus point i have. no negatives though. if i didnt find the levers for dirt cheap, i probably wouldnt have done the swap.
the front bled first time and is perfect. the rear took 5 times before it felt just okay.
i got the Code calipers because i love the feel of the Elixr levers and wanted to keep the modulation like you mentioned.

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
small item: code calipers have two bleed ports; I've found best results when making sure I bleed the caliper twice, once via each port.

shouldn't make that much of a difference; but in practice, I found it helped, FWIW.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
interesting. ill give it a try tonight and see if that helps at all. i know they recommend the outboard one, but that didnt work that well.
weird im having a issue since ive been able to bleed all other Avid brakes 1st time w/ no problem.

daway

Chimp
Apr 15, 2004
Seattle
The new code levers look a lot like elixir levers only a bit burlier. They are supposed to use the same taperbore technology too so hopefully they'll give the same type of power and modulation you guys are trying to get.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Wait a minute steve. Next time you are at diablo, you can see mine. My code levers broke so I got elixers and used the levers. They work pretty awesome.
if i did that, then ill have the awesome reliability of the Code levers still :rolleyes:

im happy enough with the Elixr levers/Code calipers that i just put on.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Does any1 know, whether Elixir and new Code levers are identical or not? I plan to get front Code brake and keep Elixir on the rear and I would like to have same feeling under both fingers (which may sound weird ;) )

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
im looking to do something different for this year and was looking for s'more power outa my brakes.

i love my Elixr CR levers but wanted to get some Code calipers to hopefully get some more power outa the system.

has anyone else used this combo? pros? cons?
Didn't bother reading this whole thread so someone may have said this already. I recently put some elixr levers on code calipers and could not be happier (aside from getting some formula ones.) All the power I could want w/ the adjustments I need. The only con for me is the weight, but I'm no weight weeny.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Didn't bother reading this whole thread so someone may have said this already. I recently put some elixr levers on code calipers and could not be happier (aside from getting some formula ones.) All the power I could want w/ the adjustments I need. The only con for me is the weight, but I'm no weight weeny.
yep, on the last page