Quantcast

Elizabeth Furnace trailrides satdays

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Starting Nov, once Diablo's gondola shuts down for winter, I intend to organize semi-regular Saturday trailrides at Elizabeth Furnace, normally Buzzard Rock trail, one of my favorite trails anywhere (the supertech ridgeline hardly anyone rides) and/or Sherman Gap. I have 6"Big Hit and VPfree for this, no XC bike. You can have fun on any MTB on this trail though, as long as you don't mind extended climbs, long descents, lots of rocks, and trialsy/walking unrideable sections. Rides are usually 2.5-4 hrs or 4-5 hrs depending on one or two ascents. Perfect to keep fat old DHers in shape off-season. So if anyone wants to join, watch this space or post up your interest.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
the one hour ride up (or hike a bike mostly) is also good for hangover recoveries as stiff and i have experienced a few times out there...

the heckler is always ready for an EF ride. :cheers:

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
eew. exercise?

think i could make it up on an ac with a supert boat anchor or should i try it on the stp? i'm in either way. the drive from bluemont isn't that bad.

I'm not above pushing my bike.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
You can do it on any mtb, but flats and a low gear are best (I ride both), as the place is an extended climb, has undulation, and tons of rocks. I've enjoyed it on my Steelhead with Minute and a triple, or on my VPfree with 888, one ring and 2.7 tires. Just more pushing up and less walking down.

Next weekend will be first, say 11ish at bottom Buzzard rock dirt parking lot.

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
I need to get out there again with you guys. First experience was a little frustrating...def. want to go agian, now that i know!!! Anyone have an ATV that can give us a ride to the top? Or we could just attach a tow-rope to beckley, since he rode the whole thing.

After next weekend, every sunday at 10 a.m. at our favorite shuttling location...4 sure...every sunday.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
OK, this Satday (4 Nov), the target is 10:45 AM in Buzzard Rock trailhead parking lot, with 11AM riding. 2-2.5 hr loop. More available if needed.

Strongly recommend flat pedals regardless of bike type - lots of very tight, sharp rocks everywhere on the ridgeline.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Do we have a list of who is definitely going? I'll be riding up with Transfer. Who else is going for sure?
it will be the two of you, stiff, FES, and myself as far as i know. stiff and i will be meeting up with FES at the starbucks on nutley around 9:20 to combine forces.

i'll be riding my heckler with DH tires. stiff and FES will probably be pushing their big hits.

Unfortunately I'm not gonna make it. I leave for a short notice TDY Sunday, and have toooooo many things to do around the house, and have to spend the requisite quality time with the Mrs. Look forward to reading about how it went.

Stiff...do you intend to keep doing this on Saturdays? As rifle season draws nigh, I'm not sure that's a great idea. That area (not the ridge, obviously) is hunted heavily.

Also...anyone interested in night riding? I know it's a hike for some of you, but...night riding out there is a whole new experience.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
As rifle season draws nigh, I'm not sure that's a great idea. That area (not the ridge, obviously) is hunted heavily.
It's funny you mention that. While we were dorking around in the parking lot a guy came out of the woods wearing camo and carrying a small calibre rifle. He said he had come out for crow and coyote hunting but apparently had seen neither. He was a nice enough guy though. His rabbit caller broke :(

Whale - we got to the parking lot around 10:45 and hung out until noon but saw no sign of you all. It would have helped if I was getting any cell reception out there but my phone was completely dead.

We walked (and rode a little) up a trail that went past an old wooden cabin and was without a doubt the rockiest terrain I have ever ridden or walked on. We continued up for about an hour and then turned around and I spent about three and a half minutes riding when I got a flat in my rear wheel with no patch kit or spare tube. So I hiked up and hiked back down :redface:.

I'm stoked to go back though. It was a beautiful day.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Whale - we got to the parking lot around 10:45 and hung out until noon but saw no sign of you all. It would have helped if I was getting any cell reception out there but my phone was completely dead.
stiff called you at 9:30am... we were running a bit late and got to the trail head at 11am. the ride took us longer than usual because of a few mechanicals. i think you guys must have been at the wrong trail head for buzzard rock. it's actually a left turn right before you get into the furnace (i thought stiff gave y'all directions?).

it was a beautiful day for riding though. we hope to make this a regular thing during the winter/spring.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
We were at a different location then. I'm not sure what parking lot we were at - I guess the second entrance on the right?

We'll definitely connect better on the next ride. That place was a blast (for the little I got to ride) and I'd like to see more.

:cheers:

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Semi-regular, since Sundays are for Shed shuttling generally.

As for hunting, the EF furnace trails are well-marked, fully legal, and on National Geographic topo maps which have been adopted by the GW Forest Service unit as the offcial recreational map. Unlike the Shed's DH tracks, we have just as much right to be there as hunters, who I trust are competent enough to avoid trail users. Just let us know if Cheney shows up there though.

Unfortunately I'm not gonna make it. I leave for a short notice TDY Sunday, and have toooooo many things to do around the house, and have to spend the requisite quality time with the Mrs. Look forward to reading about how it went.

Stiff...do you intend to keep doing this on Saturdays? As rifle season draws nigh, I'm not sure that's a great idea. That area (not the ridge, obviously) is hunted heavily.

Also...anyone interested in night riding? I know it's a hike for some of you, but...night riding out there is a whole new experience.

We were at a different location then. I'm not sure what parking lot we were at - I guess the second entrance on the right?
Sounds like you guys parked in the Signal Knob lot. Off of Fort Valley Road? BIG lot with a lot on either side of the entrance? If you parked to the right, and hit the trailhead there...that's Signal Knob Trail. Great hike...sucky ride. The Buzzard Rock trailhead is off of route 619, not Fort Valley.

As far as hunters. For the most part they do avoid the heavily traveled areas, but I've run across a couple scary small game hunters...one said that if he hadn't seen my German Shepherd running with me, he'd have mistaken him for a deer. Uh...yyyeeeaaahhh. Just keep in mind...bullets travel without prejudice ;-)

I'll only be home one weekend before my next TDY...Frankfurt, baby!!!...so I may not be able to hook up with you guys until mid December, but...hopefully the regular rides continue. I've already got a coworker's C-dale Prophet lined up to borrow while in Deutschland. Pumped doesn't even begin to describe the feeling.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Mine is dead leaf brown. :(
I'd say it's closer to dookie brown :D

AmbulanceFodder said:
Sounds like you guys parked in the Signal Knob lot. Off of Fort Valley Road? BIG lot with a lot on either side of the entrance? If you parked to the right, and hit the trailhead there...that's Signal Knob Trail. Great hike...sucky ride. The Buzzard Rock trailhead is off of route 619, not Fort Valley.
Yeah, that sounds like where we were. It was fun for the few minutes I rode.

I'm taking my wife and dog out for an adventure in the mountains tomorrow or I'd love to ride on Saturday. It's going to be a beautiful day.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
the crew is meeting again tomorrow (stiff, fes, and i) are going to rendez vous at the starbucks on nutley off 66 at 8:30am to combine forces and then head out to the furnace shooting to be at the buzzard rock trailhead around 10am.

weather looks perfect for riding tomorrow!

VDfree

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
germantown
Wish I couid go...Julio came in to the shop tonight for some blood doping, he was afraid he wouldn't make it. Don't kill him so he can ride the real ride on sunday.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Where are you guys meeting in Vienna and what time? It looks like I can go if I secure a ride. :( We have one car and my wife is going to a wedding in Leesburg. Thankfully I might be able to get out of it if I have a reason...

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Where are you guys meeting in Vienna and what time? It looks like I can go if I secure a ride. :( We have one car and my wife is going to a wedding in Leesburg. Thankfully I might be able to get out of it if I have a reason...
Nutley St Starbucks parking lot 930. You have my cell I believe.