Quantcast

ELK TRAIL Montucky style - Pre-action trail pictorz!

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
Posted this in the MTBR forums, but I thought I'd post it here too for you all to view. I've been working on this trail since June, and some of the big stunts are about ready to be shredded. Who says there's nothing to ride in Montana??? Here's some pics of most of the big stunts (sans a 30 foot step down and a 12 foot rock drop). The trail is about halfway done, so there's lots more to come. My buddies and I are going to do a film/video shoot on Thursday, so look for some action shots Thursday evening.

Drop near the bottom of the trail (so far). Just completed this one yesterday. Bout a 75 degree hip to the left, and about a 15 drop.

Another angle

One more angle

Little skinny line on the upper trail. Bout a five foot hip gap off the end, leading into the step-up to ladder gap.

Front shot of step-up to ladder gap

Rear angle of the step-up ladder gap

Front angle of the step-up ladder gap. I think its about a 10 foot drop by 20 foot gap. Don't worry, I cut off the impaler posts sticking out of the landing.

One more from the top

Skinny to teeter-drop

Skinny to teeter-drop

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
cannot wait till thursday man. jesus im going to be rusty, better go ride the deadman tomorrow afternoon or something. trail is looking SICK man

rmb_mike

Chimp
Sep 18, 2007
Posted this in the MTBR forums, but I thought I'd post it here too for you all to view. I've been working on this trail since June, and some of the big stunts are about ready to be shredded. Who says there's nothing to ride in Montana??? Here's some pics of most of the big stunts (sans a 30 foot step down and a 12 foot rock drop). The trail is about halfway done, so there's lots more to come. My buddies and I are going to do a film/video shoot on Thursday, so look for some action shots Thursday evening.

Drop near the bottom of the trail (so far). Just completed this one yesterday. Bout a 75 degree hip to the left, and about a 15 drop.

Another angle

One more angle
I can't see the trail coming up to this drop but it would seem that you would need a bit of speed coming off this drop to clear the gap there. It would also seem that unless you are already coming up the incline ramp of that drop with some good speed, that you will have to pedal up it. By the time you cranked up to the top to get enough speed to clear the gap, it would look like you would be exhausted.

I wasn't trying to be critical, I was just wondering about the flow there.

With that said, they look awesome. And they look like a lot of creativity was put into their construction. I'd love to fly up there and ride on them. My friend Kenny and I are constructing a freeride park on his lot here in Nashville, but it's only two acres. I wish we had the available land that you guys have.
I'll be posting a thread on it here shortly. Check it out when you get a chance.
Keep up the good work.

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
Your concern is definitely valid. The trail before should allow you to carry a bit of speed into the up-ramp, but not enough to do it without pedaling. I will test it out on Thursday and see how it goes. I think it should work out ok.

rmb_mike

Chimp
Sep 18, 2007
Your concern is definitely valid. The trail before should allow you to carry a bit of speed into the up-ramp, but not enough to do it without pedaling. I will test it out on Thursday and see how it goes. I think it should work out ok.
I also wanted to ask what type of hardware you used to fasten the stringers to the trees and support posts, and the decking to the stringers?
And what kind of trees/logs did you use for the upright supports?

You need to post some more pics. I'm really digging your work. I mean the drop, the location, the way you have it going perpendicular to the slope, with the angled hip landing is very innovative.

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
You need to post some more pics. I'm really digging your work. I mean the drop, the location, the way you have it going perpendicular to the slope, with the angled hip landing is very innovative.
Thanks for your interest in my work. On the drop you are talking about, I used BIG nails to fasten all of the cross-supports and stringers. It is definitely important to make these as sturdy as possible. The nails are about 8" long and 3/8" diameter. For the slats, I used smaller nails. I think they are 4" long and 1/8" diameter. As far as the timber goes, I used dead-fall. There's lots of it in this area because they just logged it this summer.

I will shoot some more detailed pictures of the drop for you when I go up next.

rmb_mike

Chimp
Sep 18, 2007
Thanks for your interest in my work.
Sure thing. Per the PM I sent you, I'm in the middle of my own work, so I can appreciate work like this done by others.

On the drop you are talking about, I used BIG nails to fasten all of the cross-supports and stringers. It is definitely important to make these as sturdy as possible. The nails are about 8" long and 3/8" diameter. For the slats, I used smaller nails. I think they are 4" long and 1/8" diameter. As far as the timber goes, I used dead-fall. There's lots of it in this area because they just logged it this summer.
One thing you might want to consider is water sealing your timber. That's why I asked what type of logs they were. Unless they're cedar. If you plan on having those structures there for more than a few years, I'd highly suggest treating them. Used engine oil and a 4" paintbrush works wonders; and the oil is free!
Most of the hardware we've used is 2.5 and 3" square bit drive screws. For the bigger stuff like our platform, we used carriage bolts. Sinking screws with a potent screwdriver/drill is a lot easier on the arm than pounding in countless nails. LOL. Besides, we get plenty of that exercise from removing nails from all the scrap boards we get from housing subdivision scrap piles.

I will shoot some more detailed pictures of the drop for you when I go up next.
I'll be waiting. Until then feel free to look at the pics of my trail.