Quantcast

Elka 5 Suspension

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
i dont see why it wouldnt benefit. the Stage 5 is a much better shock than the DHX.

call them up and see if they have a tune for it...which im sure they do.
from what I understand the DHX on the Session ISNT like your regular stock DHX... Its been custom valved and is probably closer to a "Push" shock than a regular one...Im sure the Elka is still a better shock overall but Im wondering if there's a HUGE difference between both...I'm aware they do a tune for the Session and it got be wondering if the difference would be great...So far Im impressed how many replies I got in less than 10 minutes, everyone seem to think this shock is insanely good and Im really curious to find out for myself ;-)

Last edited:

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
I talked to Sebastian the other day, they are making me a Stage 5 for my trail bike (Giant TranceX). Great company, I'll have elka on all my bikes this year.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
from what I understand the DHX on the Session ISNT like your regular stock DHX... Its been custom valved and is probably closer to a "Push" shock than a regular one...Im sure the Elka is still a better shock overall but Im wondering if there's a HUGE difference between both...I'm aware they do a tune for the Session and it got be wondering if the difference would be great...So far Im impressed how many replies I got in less than 10 minutes, everyone seem to think this shock is insanely good and Im really curious to find out for myself ;-)
I rode an Elka all throughout last season and loved it, I just ordered another one for my new bike last week.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I rode an Elka all throughout last season and loved it, I just ordered another one for my new bike last week.
Are you an a Session ?

I get it that EVERYONE loves theirs, just like my "Push" DHX was light years ahead of the stock one on my last Demo 8 but like I said it before, the Session has a much better tune to start with , does the Elka feels a lot better than the "tuned" DHX on the Session ?

Perhaps I should mentioned this thread was originally started by someone on a Session . Im not trying to find out if the Elka is better than a normal DHX as Im sure its a great shock.What I really hope to hear is if it's really worth the cash compare to my current shock...

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
No, I was on a Giant last season.. This season Ill be on an Xprezo.

I cant really give you any feedback as far as the Session would go, but my Experiences with the Shock and the Service from Pat and Sebastien at Elka have only been positive!

In my opinion, Sure you can get a "better" shock (CCDB, BOS) but will it be 300$-500$ better than the Elka?

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
What Giant? a Glory?

where do you do most of your riding? I see you're from Moncton - do you go ride Quebec? Sugarloaf Mountain? do Canada Cups?
I was on a Faith with Flipped links. Came from a DHX 4 to the Elka and it felt like I was on a completely different bike.

I rode quite a bit in Quebec and Sugarloaf during the past season, I also ride in Hillsborough, Wentworth and where ever theres a race. With a name like Acadian im guessing you either from around here or abit up north (Tracadie/Caraquet)?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
nah it's not a squeaking noise. I got that on my RC4 - once when it was new then it went away after a few rides, then came back after sending it in to get rebuild, but also went away after a few rides.

the noise I'm experiencing is similar to a shock starting to cavitate. I even had a ridding buddy tell me "dude, I think you're shock is having issues" as he could hear it from way behind me.

Plus I got mine after Oct - got it in Dec.
gotcha. yeah a cavitation sound does sound different than just a squeak
might be time to send that thing in. does it really have 30 clicks on rebound??

Pat Tellier

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
Montreal, QC, Canada
yes and as many LSC - albeit only a few has any effect.
Luc, from what I read it could be that your shock has lost some nitrogen pressure. That would explain the slow rebound, the noise and the reduced low-speed damping.

Try hooking up a shock pump on the valve and check what it reads. If it's anywhere below 140 psi that means that you either have a nitrogen leak from a defective Schraeder valve (happened a few times so far) or someone at customs messed with the valve.

If so, simply pump it up to 150-160 psi and everything should be back to normal. We have updated our reservoir cap with a new valve design that will prevent this.

Otherwise, maybe we were a bit off on the spring rate for your personal shock. Call me at the office so we can discuss.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
wait Luc... you complained on the internets without even contacting the manufacturer about you problem? you of all people should know better :D I bet Pat gets you sorted and you will be happy.

as for the 30+ clicks of rebound/compression, etc... why don't you just count "turns" instead of clicks and then maybe it would not seem like such a crazy numbeer to wrap your head around.

try adjusting in full, 1/2, and 1/4 turns to tune/fine tune the adjustments? I guarentee you will notice changes.

I have ridden fox, vivid, and elka all on the same frame over the past year... each could be made to feel like crap if adjusted wrong, and each could be tuned to feel great if tuned correctly. it comes down to the user trying settings and being realistic with what you do/dont like and learning what the adjustments can do to help with this.

that said... the elka definitely impressed me the most and that's what I will be sticking with again in 2010.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
actually, I was just waiting for you to reply

who said I did not? there is more than one person that works at Elka - not everybody gets to talk to Pat directly. And since when are we not allowed to voice our opinions?

do you think this is the first time I've ever had the opportunity to twist knobs on a shock? you cannot honestly tell me that you feel a difference in rebound in the first half of the adjustments.

I didn't expect anything less from you. I rest my case, maybe I should just get a HT since I obviously have no idea how to set a rear shock.
well you came accross as pretty clueless in your post, and sure sound like you have never turned some knobs before.... but honestly my comment about counting turns rather than clicks was directed at the two people who posted after you who questioned 30 clicks as if it was confusing or a negative in some way... sorry for trying to educate some people.

and YES, i can honestly tell you that I can fell the difference in the first half of the rebound range... in fact you can notice from one click to the next.

oh, wait, that's right.... you just made a review of a shock that has a problem and is not working right.

sorry luc, i just get annoyed when people write crap like that on this site.

I WOULD NOT EXPECT ANYTHING LESS FROM ME EITHER... I do not bash products online, if I have issues I get them resolved with the manufacturer. so you say you had been talking to someone at Elka? why then did you feel you needed to throw said product under the bus on this forum? obviously you/elka were working to resolve the problem and you took a cheap shot at them?

I know how to evaluate/tune suspension and have an extremely high attention to detail with this.

If I have something on my bike I guarantee you that it is working to a high standard or it would have been replaced by something else.

I have no "sponsorship" affiliation with any of the above mentioned manufacturers, and simply choose to run the product that felt the best on my bike.

getting good working suspension takes more than getting something for free... it takes time and patience to test different setting, different springs, different shocks, etc... in the end it is all about the user. there are so many good shocks out there these days but they are all total crap if you do not take the time to educate yourself and do some tuning.

Great thing about Elka is they are at almost all of the races I attend, and are based out of the same home mountain as me for testing. Great people with a great product, that personally, I feel performs better. That is why I will ride their stuff... not smoke and mirrors here Luc.

Last edited:

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I was on a Faith with Flipped links. Came from a DHX 4 to the Elka and it felt like I was on a completely different bike.

I rode quite a bit in Quebec and Sugarloaf during the past season, I also ride in Hillsborough, Wentworth and where ever theres a race. With a name like Acadian im guessing you either from around here or abit up north (Tracadie/Caraquet)?

A stock DHX is a pretty bad shock to start with, was that Fox shock custom valved for the frame?If not, well its not fair to compare both shocks...

- Pat you seem to be the man to talk to; can you please tell me what are the advantages of the Elka over my DHX 5 ( again not talking about a stock one but a custom valved for the Session ) other than the literature find on the website?

Im assuming if you guys are offering a tune for the bike, there must be something good about it but I'd like to hear more since I cant find the answer I seek on your site or anywhere else on the internet at this point.

The price seems right, I love what I've heard about the Stage 5 so far( a bit bummed its not user serviceable though:( ) and I have been convinced custom tuned is the way to go for many years now but at this point, Im still not totally convinced its worth spending 500$ on something that might not give me much of an upgrade...Perhaps a fellow Session owner with an Elka shock could chime in ?

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
A stock DHX is a pretty bad shock to start with, was that Fox shock custom valved for the frame?If not, well its not fair to compare both shocks...
Its not exactly fair. I know you asked for input about a Tuned DHX vs. Elka and I cant give you a solid comparison.

Im just giving my opinion/experience about the Elka and how well it performed.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
oh high attention to detail you have - you sure know know to pick some pretty matching kits. :thumb:

thanks for setting me straight - my life will be much better as a result.

have a good season!
- Luc

NO... THANK YOU for setting me straight. I had always thought you were a stand up dude. My mistake

thank you Luc for proving my point.... and being a douche when people are trying to help out.

Thanks for having nothing to say in response and taking to still lame as ever diss on what people wear when they ride... because that says sooooo much more about you than me.

:rolleyes:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I'm sorry - but all this e-bullying is pretty damn childish.

First off, I don't have anything against you, and still don't. But I would like to point out that you're the one that came down on me with all your assumptions. You didn't even ease in with questions - you came out with punches and storm of superiority.

Dave, whatever I reply or whatever I do won't change a thing - you opinion was set from the get go, so I feel like taking the time to write a long reply would simply be a waste of my time.

Maybe I should have paid attention in that meeting instead of coming in here...
Luc, I think all of the rain has made you grumpy and hyper sensitive.

Maybe you are not getting enough hugs at home :D (i kid, i kid)

sorry... but it annoy the hell out of me the amount of times people come on here and diss a product that they know has a defect covered under warrenty (and are currently in the process of resolving with said manufacturer). It comes off as unprofessional and disrespectful.... so yes, that opinion was et from the get go, and it will never change.

no matter how much praise a product gets all it takes is one guy to say "mine sucks, broke, etc" for everyine to jump to conclusions. Most manufacturers make excellent products and they all have issue from time to time... you of all people know this, that's why I was surprised for to take what I se as a cheap shot at oner of the few companies that is actually on this site and in the trenches at races helping customers out.... hence my initial replay that said "luc you of all people, etc etc :D" fihguring the mild sarcasm would be noticed. guess not... you have your foot half way in the industry like many on here. that's why I was a bit surprised. That's all

as for the rest of my initial response, that was directed at the people who read your post and just jumped to conclusions about things with to having any basis (30 click adjustments and such).... none was directed at you and was ment to steer people away from making assumptions about something based on someones product that had warrenty issue.

maybe should have made it clearer... but you went ahead with the same tired and childish insults that I would expect from the groms.

anyway... :thumb:

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
as for the rest of my initial response, that was directed at the people who read your post and just jumped to conclusions about things with to having any basis (30 click adjustments and such)
what conclusion did i or the other person jump to when we asked if there really was 30 clicks, oh wise wise man?
i felt it was odd that it had 30 clicks, since no other shock has this. yes you can count the revolutions, yes you can blah blah blah.
im sorry oh suspension guru that i wasnt clear.
we bow to you.

we should take this to the "airing grievances" thread so people can speak their mind.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
what conclusion did i or the other person jump to when we asked if there really was 30 clicks, oh wise wise man?
i felt it was odd that it had 30 clicks, since no other shock has this. yes you can count the revolutions, yes you can blah blah blah.
im sorry oh suspension guru that i wasnt clear.
we bow to you.

we should take this to the "airing grievances" thread so people can speak their mind.
maybe because you never have anything positive to say... angry steve :D

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Man... I've been over on my Saltwater aquarium site most of the past two years. Looking at some new bikes so I came back over here and WOW... I've missed a LOT. Never even heard about most of the shocks listed on here. Maybe just the Rocco, DHX and that's about it.

Also doesn't help that I have NO feel for my shocks. Rode with a blown shock for almost 6mo once w/o knowing it. I'm a little better now, but I've been riding an old Fox RC on my 7point for the past 2 years and I think it is has been great. Maybe these new shocks will "show me the light".

If I can ever scrape together the $$ for one. ;)