Quantcast

ELKA on a DHR ?

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
the DHR come stock with an RC4.
does anyone tried the DHR with another shock?
I really like the ELKA and want to know if anyone is running his DHR with it

thanks

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Get the Elka, you won't be disappointed! I have one on my trek and it was better than the fox that came on it. Elka tunes each shock towards the leverage ratios of most frames.

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
I would just run the RC4, I'm pretty sure DW tested several shocks and the fox worked out the best, he designed the frame and that specific shock to work together.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
I actually helped do a little testing to get a solid tune dialed in for the dhr...I'm SUPER impressed with this shock. Not sure where you plan to buy it, but as mentioned above they store tunes in a database, so you should be all set, but if you're unsure I would get ahold of Erik at the US Elka service center....great guy working out of so cal, and he's the one who cracked this tune for me so he should have the best idea as to
what you'll need...

Erik@elkaservicecenter.com

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I would just run the RC4, I'm pretty sure DW tested several shocks and the fox worked out the best, he designed the frame and that specific shock to work together.
DW has said himself that on his own bike he runs a CCDB and he likes that best.

Ian_Collins on this forum runs an Elka on his DHR. I'm sure he'll chime in when he sees this.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I tested the ELKA on my sunday for long time this year
it is really amazing
but the sunday is bottoming too much with it, so now I run the RC4 on my sunday
last weekend I took my friends new DHR for some runs (withe the stock RC4)
the bike feels really a lot like my sunday (HA and all)
but the rear end just feel more relaxed (I cant describe it ...)
the sunday rear end feels like it tracks the ground, but feels more bouncy
the DHR just feel less bumpy ...
I really want to check this bike with the ELKA. as I know the ELKA will make it even better...
IAN.
can you share you experience with the DHR & ELKA?

thanks

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
I tested the ELKA on my sunday for long time this year
it is really amazing
but the sunday is bottoming too much with it, so now I run the RC4 on my sunday
last weekend I took my friends new DHR for some runs (withe the stock RC4)
the bike feels really a lot like my sunday (HA and all)
but the rear end just feel more relaxed (I cant describe it ...)
the sunday rear end feels like it tracks the ground, but feels more bouncy
the DHR just feel less bumpy ...
I really want to check this bike with the ELKA. as I know the ELKA will make it even better...
IAN.
can you share you experience with the DHR & ELKA?

thanks
i think some of what you're feeling is just the nature of those frames and how they contrast one another...

you're feeling the elka bottom on the sunday because the bike is linear(i believe) towards the end of the stroke...it was designed around a position sensitive damper(5th element) back in the day....the DHX can be set up by the end user with very low air volume and very high air pressure in the chamber to help combat bottoming....a different tune on the elka can help combat this is well....

with regards to the elka on the DHR, i love it....it took a couple of rounds of tuning, but erik is a bit of a wizard and he got a perfect tune dialed in for me...

it feels lively, yet stable and grounded, it doesn't buck or anything...pedals and brakes very neutrally, yet eats up everything in it's path....great combination....get ahold of erik and get set up with one, you won't be disappointed

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
i would take the rc4 off for sure...rode 3 weeks with a friend on a brand new one in morzine and he certainly wasnt impressed, his theory was the shaft was too big whic caused it to heat up very quickly which led to the shock's rebound becoming significantly quicker....this was experienced around 2 mins into a 5 min run which wasnt ideal..quiete a change from his old dhr...said it let the bike down

id go with the elka or the vivid which was in agreement with my firend...

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
i would take the rc4 off for sure...rode 3 weeks with a friend on a brand new one in morzine and he certainly wasnt impressed, his theory was the shaft was too big whic caused it to heat up very quickly which led to the shock's rebound becoming significantly quicker....this was experienced around 2 mins into a 5 min run which wasnt ideal..quiete a change from his old dhr...said it let the bike down

id go with the elka or the vivid which was in agreement with my firend...
well, in terms of fading, it could also be due to the fact that the reservoir uses air, where both the Elka and Vivid run on nitrogen, it can be a slight hassle to recharge here and there but it helps performance so it's worth it.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
does the nitrogen make thaaat much difference? I run my RC4 with really slow rebound because I know that by the time Im on my second run it'll be heated up and run slightly faster.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
does the nitrogen make thaaat much difference? I run my RC4 with really slow rebound because I know that by the time Im on my second run it'll be heated up and run slightly faster.

Nitrogen pressure is far more consistent for several reasons:

It maintains more consistent pressure because pure nitrogen is far less sensitive to temperature changes.

It doesn't have the water vapor content of air, and the presence of water makes the air even more sensitive to changes in temp.

Nitrogen does not leak out of the system as easily so your pressure holds far longer than an air system that needs to be checked frequently.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001

It maintains more consistent pressure because pure nitrogen is far less sensitive to temperature changes.

It doesn't have the water vapor content of air, and the presence of water makes the air even more sensitive to changes in temp.

Nitrogen does not leak out of the system as easily so your pressure holds far longer than an air system that needs to be checked frequently.
What he said

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
Ian.
talked with Erik.
I can probably order the DHR with the ELKA and his tuning
how much do you weight?
what are your setting on the shock?

thanks

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
What he said
I already knew those things... let me refrase, does it FEEL that more different? I remember when I had my avy charged with Nitrogen and then rode it with air, couldnt feel the difference. Does it really feel that much different? I get it for other industries (moto, car, etc)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I've run the same shock back-to-back with nitrogen and air and felt no difference. If a shock feels better or different then I'd say a far larger percentage is down to the performance of the shock itself and its tuning/setup in relation to the frame and rider - than the difference between pure nitrogen and air (78.1% nitrogen).

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Ian.
talked with Erik.
I can probably order the DHR with the ELKA and his tuning
how much do you weight?
what are your setting on the shock?

thanks
i weight about 180 +-5 lbs depending on if i'm drinking beer or actually hitting the gym....

i run a 350lb spring, and i run a fair bit of LSC compared to most riders....

LSC- 17/32 clicks
R- 9 from closed

can't remember HSC...i'll check it tonight

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
I already knew those things... let me refrase, does it FEEL that more different? I remember when I had my avy charged with Nitrogen and then rode it with air, couldnt feel the difference. Does it really feel that much different? I get it for other industries (moto, car, etc)
realistically you probably won't feel a difference unless you're on a 8+ minute run and your shock heats up and fades...that has happened with me before on a shock that ran on air, and has never happened with shocks that ran on nitrogen

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

All of the above is technically correct (except the leakage part, diffusion through metal and thick rubber o-rings is next to nothing!) but the actual difference is negligible.

realistically you probably won't feel a difference unless you're on a 8+ minute run and your shock heats up and fades...that has happened with me before on a shock that ran on air, and has never happened with shocks that ran on nitrogen
Damping fade has to do with oil viscosity changing with temperature. Using nitrogen instead of air will not change that.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
All of the above is technically correct (except the leakage part, diffusion through metal and thick rubber o-rings is next to nothing!) but the actual difference is negligible.

Damping fade has to do with oil viscosity changing with temperature. Using nitrogen instead of air will not change that.
but if the shock as a whole was cooler wouldn't it be less susceptible oil heating up and fading as well?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
but if the shock as a whole was cooler wouldn't it be less susceptible oil heating up and fading as well?
The thermal mass of air/nitrogen is miniscule (like in the vicinity of one thousandth) of the oil, as is its conductivity, and the differences between nitrogen and air are next to nothing. The difference that makes to the temperature is sweet FA.