Quantcast

Ellsworth Dare

HEM3

Chimp
Dec 7, 2006
What's up guys?

First of all, SORRY! It should be ROGUE at the title!

A friend of mine is up to buy a new frame. He used a Stinky 05 for 2 years and really enjoys it but now want something stronger.

He was tanking some looks at the Ellsworth ROGUE wanted to know what you guys think about it...
Dirt bag or a SX Trail or even a Nomad would be great too...
Wich one should he get?

He is gonna do some freeriding, light downhill, urban... Kinda all arround bike. There is gonna be a 66 on it.

Thank you!

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
A friend of mine has a Rouge, it rides very nice. BB is too high for my tastes and it didn't strike me as the type of bike to break. The design is different than many of their older bikes that broke if you farted on them. If you get one get the shorter travel version. The only difference is they use a longer shock, which raises the bb and steepens the head angle.

Of the other bikes you mentioned I would probably say the SX Trail. I've owned one for a while, it's very good all around, very durable. Doesn't climb as well as the Nomad, but the nomad I rode didn't have a very "freerideish" feel. Felt more like a trail bike than a downhill bike.

Another you should seriously consider would be the Giant Reign X or an Iron Horse Type 6.

*edit* and I've never ridden a dirt bag, so I can't really comment. Look nice though.

HEM3

Chimp
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks all you guys...
So let's forget about Rogue! If you have some other ideas please tell me! Bike stuff here in Brasil are really expensive so we gotta spend well our money!

Thanks!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
commencal mini dh, orange 6/patriot, sc vp free, intense socom, ih 7 point
just to name a few,

its pretty much the same here in malaysia, go with what dealers you have locally, saves you a load of trouble when things go wrong. get loads of test rides with any bikes you can get your hands on, thats the best way to know whether you will like the bikes or not.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
I have yet to see a broken Rogue. There have only been a couple of Ell's that ended up seeing a bunch of breaks. This isn't uncommon among any manufacturer. Ell's just gets bashed inccessantly from the Homer crew since Tony was such a dick to DT. I've got a joker and distance that both have seen incredible abuse and have held up nicely.

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
glad to see you dropped the Ellsworth idea. Strong and Transition are two words that do go well together and the customer service is top shelf, ive owned a few Dirtbags and they are Bullit proof as far as my needs and i ride everything. the sx trail looks killer and you see some pros beating on them so they must be strong. the nomad seems nice but would be my last choice.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
don't believe all the e-bash on ellsworth strength, as mentioned before they had issues years ago, but have since resolved them, just like every other manufacturer. I also have yet to see a broken Rogue or post 2004 Dare, but really you should chose a frame that has the best local support.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'll second a dirtbag or bottlerocket. personally, i'd take the bottle rocket because it is a little more versatile than the dirtbag as long as you aren't doing really big stuff. you can't beat transition customer service, hands down best i have seen. lifetime crash replacement is awesome, and the quality of their stuff seems great. a yeti would be a good choice, my asx rides very well and yeti has good customer service too, but still not like transition.

HEM3

Chimp
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks again! And I gotta say I'm sorry about many questions.
Some of you guys mentioned about the local support and I gotta agree with you. So I got in my mind the fact that Banshee Bikes has an excellent suport here and maybe he will end up buying a Chaparral or even a Scream.

Thanks!

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Thanks again! And I gotta say I'm sorry about many questions.
Some of you guys mentioned about the local support and I gotta agree with you. So I got in my mind the fact that Banshee Bikes has an excellent suport here and maybe he will end up buying a Chaparral or even a Banshee.

Thanks!
have coma13 contact me. i live in the san diego area, and own a 2007 SX trail, i even put a totem on the front