Quantcast

Ellwood

sod8

Chimp
Dec 10, 2001
Santa Barbara, CA
I was out there today being the poser that I am on the small jumps, it is looking very nice and there were some guys ripping it up and putting some nice work in. I had one of them for PE at the elementary school I work at, Jake I believe he said and I think he has posted here. I feel so old right now. Anyways, the mini bike crowd rolled up and started tearing it up. I hope those guys don't ruin it for everyone else, especially the ones putting in the work. Those things are just loud and annoying to listen to. To the guys doing the work, thanks and keep it up, it is looking nice (I wish I could just ride half of it). I'd like to come help out but I hardly make it out there.

Just wanted to say that.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Glad you appreciate the work. I haven't put in much time there(been in Australia....excuses, excuses!), but have started digging over the past two weeks I've been home. We're putting in the new rythm section and a big old step up, in fact I was out there on the 24th digging and crashing. With all this rain we'll be digging more in the upcoming week, if you want to come out and ride or dig that would be awesome, more people is better.

And if your looking for a riding partner, I'm hoping to get in some XC in the next week, if you want to ride give me a pm or call 563-4301. I'll let you know about digging too.

Ryan

P.S. Those moto-minis piss the hell out of me. They were there on the 24th and pretty much ruined the vibe what with tearing up the face of jumps and the loud noises. We're not sure what is the best way to get rid of them, apperently the P.D. doesn't like them out there, but we don't like calling any undo attention to the jumps. I say we poleaxe them with the shovels, but my friends are all pacifists.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Once I get back to SB next week, will anyone need any help digging? I'm gonna have nothin to do and I want somewhere fun to ride. And yes, those damn little motos are a pain, they just tear up eveywhere they ride and leave it for someone else to fix. :nuts: to them.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
sod, it was good meeting you out there. this is jack, the kid you used to teach PE to. with all this rain we've got recently the dirt is premium for digging, so i plan on being out there the rest of the winter break with some guys digging and doing some much needed work. the 50's are annoying as hell, and those guys have no respect for the jumps or the people that put in the time on them at all. it seems like the more you build the more those guys start showing up :angry:. i've seen the police bust these guys before...so we'll see how it goes.

later

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
You guys shouldn't "wait and see" with the 50s. If you have jumps and have tolerated a few a few of them, it will just get worse. Soon you'll have fifties coming from all over the county. Give them the boot before it gets out of hand.

Make up some steel, official looking no fifty signs and post them around. Most of the fifties will get uncomfortable and leave. For the ones who don't, the signs will give you valid reason enough to... exercise what's been going through all your minds.

I had the same problem a couple years ago. I actually tried to be nice and just ask them to go easy on my jumps. That got me real far.... I got a "yeah, all right no problem bra." But the second I left they would be tearing into the jumps again with their whack throttle-brake style. They really don't give a fck about any work you guys do. They'll destroy them all the same. They'll piss off surrounding neighbors, leave their garbage and basically move in until the city has to take care of it. Don't let it go that far. I've seen these jumps they look pretty cool it would be a shame to lose them.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Li'l Dave said:
Once I get back to SB next week, will anyone need any help digging? I'm gonna have nothin to do and I want somewhere fun to ride. And yes, those damn little motos are a pain, they just tear up eveywhere they ride and leave it for someone else to fix. :nuts: to them.
We're digging today and most likely tomorrow....just give my number above a ring or im me on AIM(konamtb). It's muddy out there so bring some clothes that can get dirty.

The Ito

weman788

Chimp
May 15, 2004
SJCx3, So Cal
hey, I'm too lazy to read all the post's, but where is Ellwood at? Sounds fun, I wana boost mobile fone it some time. Also, what kinda riding is it?

ito

Oct 3, 2003
weman788 said:
hey, I'm too lazy to read all the post's, but where is Ellwood at? Sounds fun, I wana boost mobile fone it some time. Also, what kinda riding is it?
It's in Goleta, CA(I can't give good directions, but call a shop and they'll tell you). It's all dirt jumps, though there are some nice drops and a bit of singletrack further out. It's super muddy though so I wouldn't advice riding for a while unless you want a :nuts:. But once it dries up come out and ride, there is usually a decent number of people out there.

The Ito

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Steven, Alex, Jack and crew have been working hard out there. I was so stoked to see that place was in good shape last time I was down there. The new rhythm section leading into the old hip we built is sweet. :thumb:

ito

Oct 3, 2003
konabiker said:
Stopped by the jumps this past weeked and its not looking to good... :dead:
Like I said before.....VERY muddy. That place turns into a swamp after a bunch of rain. We attempted to dig, but the ground was too muddy and clingy to do much, making the 3rd jump in our little rythm look like a poo. It'll be fixed and nice soon enough though.....so I can come bail off of it again :mad:

The Ito

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
ito said:
Like I said before.....VERY muddy. That place turns into a swamp after a bunch of rain. We attempted to dig, but the ground was too muddy and clingy to do much, making the 3rd jump in our little rythm look like a poo. It'll be fixed and nice soon enough though.....so I can come bail off of it again :mad:

The Ito
one of my freinds said he was out there the other day digging and it was a total swamp, but the thing is he said the 50 crew rolled up and hit the jumps in the wet :dead: . i cant confirm that, but if its true it sounds bad. they mess up the jumps enough as it is, but with the soft dirt it will be much worse.

clysdale

Chimp
Nov 18, 2002
so how are we lookin out there???? messed up beyond repair or just in need of some TLC??? anybody been out there?

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
clysdale said:
so how are we lookin out there???? messed up beyond repair or just in need of some TLC??? anybody been out there?
I think it just needs a LOT of TLC. I'm gonna be out there Saturday and possibly Sunday.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
konabiker said:
one of my freinds said he was out there the other day digging and it was a total swamp, but the thing is he said the 50 crew rolled up and hit the jumps in the wet :dead: . i cant confirm that, but if its true it sounds bad. they mess up the jumps enough as it is, but with the soft dirt it will be much worse.
Damnit! I hate those dudes. If they hit those jumps in the mud someone needs to regulate.

I'm a bit worried about E-wood. I know after the first rains in december it was doing ok, but after the downpour that seemed to be happening I can imagine it got ugly.

When it dries up a bit that place will go off though. Hopefully I can make it south for a dig session and some riding.

The Ito

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
I just got back from ellwood a couple of minutes ago. When I first got there it was a lot worse than I thought. Rutted lips and landings, really bad erosion on trails, and flooding. A friend and I put in 4:30 solid hours of shoveling and its looking much better, but we still need lots of help. I refaced a lot of lips and work out a lot of landings so it’s looking way better. Tomorrow we're gonna go out there and dig drainage ditches so next rains it won't be so bad. I would have worked longer but some friends came out and I got sidetracked. So, any SB people free tomorrow come out and help! Bring a shovel, mcloud, whatever.

On the run into the main hip transfer there was about a 3-foot wide hole worn out of the trail :dead: We filled it in though.