Quantcast

Empires Cast dh frame.. up to date pics!!

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
hm cast aluminum? i am no engineer in any sense... so many some of you guys can chime in.. but any cast metal i deal w/ i can smash w/ a hammer and it explodes...

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
i like it.....its cool to see something that actually is different.....so many bikes are so similar now.......

i dont know much about casting, but there are ways to make it strong......

and damn for selection of cool bikes.....that store rocks!

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Any word on how they make the aluminum strong enough?
Just like Junkie, I'm intrigued as to how that will hold up.
Generally cast-alluminum is very brittle.

Looks like a very nice ride.
For some reason I really like the look of the removable seat-tube on that bike.

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
What is the weight? If you bite it in a rock garden that thing is going to have chunks flying off it. Can anyone say stress riser?

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Regardless of the integrity of the frame or weight that casting is beautiful. Amazing. Sooooo much work goes into the molds for that! I'm digging it.

I'd imagine there are some alloys that are not so brittle when cast. Look at aluminum automotive wheels and blocks. Both take very extreme loads, and take it very well.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
hm cast aluminum? i am no engineer in any sense... so many some of you guys can chime in.. but any cast metal i deal w/ i can smash w/ a hammer and it explodes...
Not all casting is the same. Not all casting alloys are the same. Many highly stressed airplane parts are cast. Not so much anymore because it's almost always cheaper to machine them now. I would wager that 40-50% of the parts on a 737 or a KC-130 are cast.

I'm really curious how they did the swingarm.
Cast and then welded a cover on?

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
not putting my a$$ on that anytime soon.... number one cause its alot of money... and number two CAST ALUMINUM!!!!!!! think about it how many hayes brake levers have you broke or bent.........

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
not putting my a$$ on that anytime soon.... number one cause its alot of money... and number two CAST ALUMINUM!!!!!!! think about it how many hayes brake levers have you broke or bent.........
yeah but hayes brakes suck all together. By that logic "Hayes brakes suck, so all brakes must suck! No brakes for me!".

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I can't believe this thread is 3 pages deep and no one has said; "LOOKS TO FLEXY"!!!!! Ha Ha!!! I think they did a great job with it, but would like to see some real world test results on it. What are the Specs on it too?

khoolhandz

Chimp
Jul 27, 2006
I LOVE SURREY
I can't believe this thread is 3 pages deep and no one has said; "LOOKS TO FLEXY"!!!!! Ha Ha!!! I think they did a great job with it, but would like to see some real world test results on it. What are the Specs on it too?
DIRT (UK) Mag tested it on one of their issues a few months back. Don't remember it getting rave review but I also don't remember them saying anything bad about it.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
About £1800 or £2000 with Ti spring and headset www.rideon.co.uk
Wow. 1800 quid for a frame using a manufacturing technique sub-standard to welding tubes together. I thought the upside to casting frames was mass production and dirt cheap frames? If they expect their first customers to subsidize their molds...ha.

Oct 30, 2006
Definitively flexy. Honda should stick to making cars, lawnmowers and motocycles. They are never gonna mass produce these and I will never ride one.