Quantcast

Endless fvcking problems w/ Ubuntu 9.10

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Details:

Random screen freezes
General GUI freakouts (all text turns to little boxes with cryptic error dialogs popping up everywhere)
Logging out goes to a black screen never to return
Failure to mount drives after reboot. Including swap.
Having to manually run FSCK every other time I turn the machine on. It takes up to 20 minutes to get to the login screen sometimes.

I'm going back to 9.04

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
All of the above was immediately after a fresh install on a freshly formatted drive.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Probably a bad driver. I've been using 9.10 since release on my main desktop - zero problems. I also recently installed it on a e6400 and it worked fine on that machine too.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Linux.

LOL.
I know, right? Several versions into this free OS and I have these minor annoying issues that I am not patient enough to sort out. Up to now it's been super stable and trouble free.

I WANT MY MONEY BACK...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Yeah, I still haven't upgraded from 8.10 cause I heard about "issues." Hopefully they'll get it sorted by the next release.
9.04 was fine. I did the upgrade to 9.10 over that, and it was fubar from the get-go.

Did a full backup/format/fresh install. It was even worse.

I'm not the only one though, many people are having issues. I read somewhere that it's Nvidia related. (which means like, what...80% of all PC's?)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I know, right? Several versions into this free OS and I have these minor annoying issues that I am not patient enough to sort out. Up to now it's been super stable and trouble free.

I WANT MY MONEY BACK...
:monkeydance:

I'm just joking. I actually like Ubuntu quite a lot. I've never been able to commit to it because I was in school and had too many Windows applications that I was required to use, and quite frankly I really like Windows 7 now so there's not much incentive for me to switch. I may get around to it one day.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I'm not the only one though, many people are having issues. I read somewhere that it's Nvidia related. (which means like, what...80% of all PC's?)
Actually most PCs have integrated graphics especially laptops and among discrete mobile chipsets ATI is more popular. My desktop has ATI in it and the laptop is integrated Intel G35.

nVidia is behind right now other than some specific HTPC applications (DXVA works better and in Linux nVidia is the only option for hardware accelerated video though I am not sure if the latest version of flash might change that). nVidia burned users and vendors with their products and their drivers started getting worse than ATI - there was a massive costly industry-wide videocard and PC chipset recall - a horrible bumpy situation:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137385/nvidia-bad-bump-misery-deepens

So now, the defective chip list has expanded to the G86, G86A2, G84, C51, G72, G72M, G73, G72A3, MCP67 and NV42 officially, but those are only the ones that are named in the lawsuit. There could be others that haven't cropped up yet, or that had problems that Nvidia managed to suppress early on.

Last edited:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Installed Ubuntu Studio 9.04 last night.

Full format, install, restore and updates in under 2 hours. Most of that was watching TV waiting on the backup files to transfer from the old external drive. Actual OS and software install was about 15-20 minutes.

Works totally smooth.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This is why I use a Mac (and why I decided to not build that Hackintosh).

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
This is why I use a Mac (and why I decided to not build that Hackintosh).
Saves you from nothing since mac's have had plenty of wifi problems, needed firmware updates, had defective nVidia chipsets, etc - the same problems you'd get with any computer:think:

For a plus when he updated to KK it didn't delete his data backups. Only Apple/OSX can claim that "innovation" for Panther :thumb:

Last edited:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
So I found that there is a bug in the Ubuntu Studio kernel that REALLY doesn't like it when you try to install Open Office. Kernel panic, fubar package manager, etc etc.

Went to vanilla Ubuntu 9.04 and just installed a few of the choice apps. (Ardour, etc)

Nice thing about any Ubuntu re-install or restore is I just grab the backups of the mozilla settings folders and throw them back in the respective home folders. Instant re-set of all the Firefox setups and Thunderbird email.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Given my lack of bandwidth, availability of cheap CDs is a Good Thing.
Pick a distro and I'll D/L and burn it to DVD for you. PM me with your selected flavor and an address to send it.

Spending $7.95 on Ubuntu just seems so sad.

I truly appreciate the offer, but I already ordered 9.10 desktop and server.

I could have done it at work, but at my billable rate it would have cost somebody between $75 and $150 if I honestly accounted for my time.

The idea that any software is free is a myth. Somebody pays for it one way or another.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The idea that any software is free is a myth. Somebody pays for it one way or another.
Ubuntu doesn't make outrageous claims that its products are support free software that just works but its still free software with loads of free community based support. I've never paid anyone nor have I spent significantly more time to support my desktop installations compared to other commercial OS.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
After reading this thread I decided not to go with 9.10 on my eeepc. The stock Xandros didn't support flash 10 so it was time for an upgrade to ubuntu 9.04 netbook remix. Couple of nagging issues but it runs pretty well. Had to turn the graphical wizardry down and my internal camera doesn't seem to work, not that I ever used it anyway. I'm also having trouble with skype but i think that's their fault. Anyway, fairly successful as these things go.