Quantcast

Endurance Racing?

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Have any of you folks used your 29'rs for any 12 or 24 hour races? Contemplating using mine next spring for a 24 race:crazy:. Any input would be great

martini

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
'Sconni
Yup. I've done several 12 hr events on mine, as well as 6 hour's too. What's your question?

I most certainly DO think that the 29" wheels really help on long distance events. I felt noticably fresher as opposed to doing the same on my old 26". Could have been fitness, but I never really 'train' anyways, so I don't know if that would really count for anything. I don't do anything special for setup.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Just checking. A few of us are are going to take the plunge and do a 24 hr event. I'm already on a 29'r and the others I'm riding with are thinking about 29'rs. Long laps and nothing too tech so these bikes should be the ticket

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Go for it!

I rode my Niner EMD in the last 24 Hour event I participated in and it was a rooty and mud infested coarse. The big wheels helped smooth out the rooty sections big time and the big wheels got through the sloppy mud really well too.

My only problem was with the drivetrain as I lost a couple of chainring bolts and didn't even know it due to all the mud - it prevented me from doing much front shifting and many I had to run my bike in the granny ring a lot more than I would have liked.

But the wheelsize was a big plus for me at least.

Cheers,

Mark

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
We're seeing more and more 29"ers at endurance events here in the Mid-West. I think the smoother ride and momentum saving characteristics are taylor made for endurance events.

GDR this year was run entirely on 29"ers!

I've done a 12 hour team event on mine and it went off without a hitch. Off camber, switchbacks, and roots here and there. It was fun.

(Disclaimer: I've never raced a 26"er other than at XC races)

Go for it, you'll have fun! The 29"er bike will work just fine.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
I was planning on a solo run at this but carpooling back from a ride changed that plan. With the couple of usual suspects that I normally ride with saying they wanted to give this a whirl I think the fun factor just jumped off the chart. Thank you gents for your input!

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I was planning on a solo run at this but carpooling back from a ride changed that plan. With the couple of usual suspects that I normally ride with saying they wanted to give this a whirl I think the fun factor just jumped off the chart. Thank you gents for your input!
Seriously!?!? I gotta see this. Are you looking at the Spokane event?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Be sure to post up a re-cap of the event for the forum!!

Good luck and have a blast!! :thumb:

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Five wipe the dust off your bike and come riding. We (Snacks & co ) are doing Spokane and looking at Willamette Pass also. I'm still looking at doing a solo 24 hr. Looking to find one before Spokane that works with my schedule.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Team ARSE and they don't like the name. Amy, Rick, Scott and extras. Looks like everyone gets their fair representation to me. Extras being support and event voluteer. If we get a couple more people I'm sure the name will change. Now I just need to find someone named Horace. I flat out just want to have FUN at this. It sounds like I may have to dust off the old lime green afro from the old rodeo clowning days.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Thanks for the feed back folks.

Snacks rocked on the 29'r again. Dynomite does come in small packages.:clapping: She is an animal climbing on this bike and getting faster pointing it down hill. When she gets the idea that she doesn't have to take the usual 26" line over or through any thing look out.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Thanks for the feed back folks.

Snacks rocked on the 29'r again. Dynomite does come in small packages.:clapping: She is an animal climbing on this bike and getting faster pointing it down hill. When she gets the idea that she doesn't have to take the usual 26" line over or through any thing look out.
You were right on my ass on all the techy downhill sections! On some of the those tight corners I got a little off my line with those bigger wheels.

I did however get the timing down on lifting the front wheel up and over objects:monkeydance:

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
As of yesterday it looks like 4 29'rs for our venture into endurance racing. Snacks, Mr W, evilbob and myself. This ought to be a hoot

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Spokane in May. Should be fun. We ride together most weekends any way. Gets me out of the shop for a couple of days in a row which hasn't happened in a few years.

bstrick

Chimp
Feb 10, 2008
Louisville Colorado
I'm no fan of a 6er but I see where on short courses with a lot of accelerations and tight corners might be better fitted for the small wheels. That said, I run a couple of different 9ers and find that they work great for long course endurance stuff. I've done 2 24hr races and multiple 50+ miles events and could not be happier with the big hoops. I run rigid and have recently found the WW 2.55 LT for a front tire and that alone has made the long stuff feel smoothed out. Hope I helped.