Quantcast

"Enduro" Helmets

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
when the wind whistles through the vents it sounds like someone saying douchebag....

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I've been using a Bell Super 2R for a year and like it a lot. Of course you cannot expect the chin bar to offer protection comparable to a proper full face, but it's a great compromise for the type of riding i do most of the time. I always ride with a backpack anyway, so taking the chin bar along is not a problem.
Ventilation is surprisingly good and it fits my fairly regularly shaped noggin nicely. As has already been mentioned, the Mips variant has a very distinctive fit, so try before you buy.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Been using the Giro Feature for a few years now. It seems to be the slightly less expensive "enduro" style helmet than some of the others previously mentioned. I thought it would be hotter because the lack of vents compared to other "enduro" style helmets but honestly I really don't notice much of a difference. It is way more comfortable than any of the XC lids I've ever owned. The XC style helmets that just sit on the top of our head never really made sense to me either. I'd rather my whole head be protected, not just my balding spot. :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
see that's just it... Who says more coverage = moar safer? I would think having a cooler head would be safer than extended coverage that accomplishes nothing. Especially when they all pass the same safety standards.
re-reading this... i think this is the absolute dumbest thing i've read on here in a long time.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I got the POC Trabec a couple of years ago as my road helmet does not fit that well and wobbles. The POC has a great fit for my head which I think is key. I have not had to really test the helmet so far but a little extra protection in the back is nice when you roll around.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
thankfully no. honestly i've never had ventilation problems in anything that wasn't a full face. but implying that additional coverage from a helmet "accomplishes nothing" is outright ignorant.
I'll just reverse the table on you and say that claiming additional coverage provides more safety without backing that claim up with empirical evidence is just plain marketing.

I'm not saying it doesn't provide more safety, I'm just asking if there's evidence either way.

And yeah, I've bonked before, partly related to heat exhaustion, so I'd think ventilation is a factor in safety.

I'm sorry if I offended your Enduro sensibilities. Carry on assuming whatever you want, while I go in search of The Truth...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'll just reverse the table on you and say that claiming additional coverage provides more safety without backing that claim up with empirical evidence is just plain marketing.
no, it's not marketing. not in the slightest. it's common fucking sense. you're protecting an area of the skull near a critical part of the brain (cerebellum) that was previously unprotected. if you need empirical data to understand that, holy fuck.

I'm not saying it doesn't provide more safety, I'm just asking if there's evidence either way.
but that's exactly what you said....

see that's just it... Who says more coverage = moar safer? I would think having a cooler head would be safer than extended coverage that accomplishes nothing. Especially when they all pass the same safety standards.

And yeah, I've bonked before, partly related to heat exhaustion, so I'd think ventilation is a factor in safety.
you do understand that increased coverage and good ventilation aren't mutually exclusive, right?

also, core body temperature is a big factor for heat exhaustion, so by your logic wearing a camelbak while riding is unsafe too.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Around here I just don't wear helmets on the uphill. Of course, the uphill for me generally means 90 minutes of pushing and riding really slowly. :dead:
I was starting to adopt that strategy in the Summer months. (Belcher, mostly)
That said, I had an off-the-bike, off-the-TRAIL, crash climbing two weeks ago. :wtf:

I suck at bikes.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
no, it's not marketing. not in the slightest. it's common fucking sense. you're protecting an area of the skull near a critical part of the brain (cerebellum) that was previously unprotected. if you need empirical data to understand that, holy fuck.
You should know as well as anyone that common sense can get you in trouble if not properly tested and vetted. that gets to the core of my point: it might sound like common sense, but I wonder if there are factors at play that aren't common knowledge. My experience is what got me thinking about this. When I hit that part of my head, a root pushed my helmet out of the way. I'm wondering if extending the protection down there, without anchoring is some way is more cosmetic than it is effective. Maybe there are other factors that I don't know about that make them better than I thought... I don't know, so I ask.

I'm not saying I know anything for certain, and to be honest, I've applied the precautionary principle and have purchased an extended coverage helmet (the IXS Scheybletop edition in Enduro Green), I just wonder if I've fallen prey to marketers and have coughed up $60 more (I've been riding with Giro Hexs for at least 5 years)

you do understand that increased coverage and good ventilation aren't mutually exclusive, right?
Maybe not, but I have yet to read a review that says "vents as well as my previous non-enduro helmet". Pretty much they all state, "you obviously sacrifice ventilation for that additional coverage"... I bought the one that reviews consistently rated as ventilating well...

also, core body temperature is a big factor for heat exhaustion, so by your logic wearing a camelbak while riding is unsafe too.
you answered your own question a little farther up, or rather, the marketers have answered it for you: fanny packs!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That said, I had an off-the-bike, off-the-TRAIL, crash climbing two weeks ago. :wtf:

I suck at bikes.
That usually when I hit the dirt or trees, too. haha

Its usually right after greasing a technical section of trail, while rolling on straight flat trail when I end up going into the rhubarb.

Or walking with the bike...I'm clumsy and trip over my own feet or bash my shins on the pedals.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
So the trail is rocky and more technical on the left side, or a well-worn cheater line on the right side. The cheater line is maybe 3-4 feet below the proper line. I had made it about 2/3 of the way up and lost my balance to my right, basically falling down onto then off the cheater line.

:bonk:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I was starting to adopt that strategy in the Summer months. (Belcher, mostly)

I suck at bikes.
It was hilarious.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
It was hilarious.
says the guy who took the cheater line to the right! :mad:

edit: I wear a Giro Xen helmet. Great coverage, ventilated well enough, last year's color & price. I really like that Smith Forefront (I have the ski version) but haven't found a deal ... yet.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I have a Bell Super and a Stoker, and like both of them, but I like the Super a lot more. The extra head coverage is safer I'm sure, but also helps keep the thing in place better. The Stoker is lighter and still has decent coverage compared to my older XC-ish lid, but the Super is just about a perfect helmet IMHO.

lol. Can't help you with that. But it really sounds like something I would do.

I got chastised by a family friend for not having my helmet on AT ALL TIMES. I had to try really hard not to tell the old biddy to FUCK RIGHT OFF. :D
No helmet riding uphill is a metrosexual tour de force in my book. I ought to wear my helmet always, but I don't. May pay for it eventually. Currently using a POC Trabec, not too fond of the adjustment, but it works.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I can't wait to ride with you CO cats...presuming there's no snow. I expect to be mocked soundly as I wreck on the cheater lines.
sweet! stoney will show you those !!!

Set the bar low for me. Looks like I might be passing through Kansas's Neighbor to the west somwhere around May 16th
you'll have a bike, jes? how long are you going to be in town?