Quantcast

enduro seals on totem= bad idea?

patrik

Chimp
Apr 10, 2007
I just had some enduro seals installed on my 08 totem solo air as the previous seals were leaking a bit. I didn't do it as a performance upgrade, I don't expect a leaps and bounds improvement, they were just the first seal option available. But this initial stiction has me worried. This is much worse then what I'm used to breaking in seals. I know there is a break in period with any seals but these are ridiculously stiff. I may really be jumping the gun but does this stiction massively wear off? I know they packed everything with the proper grease at the shop, so how long until this stiction wears off? Any ideas? Thanks

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
My fork was silly stiff when they were serviced. I ended up taking all the compression off. It took a full week of riding in the alps before they started to come alive again. I have never used enduro seals though so could not comment on them.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Haha, enduro seals on anything are a bad idea IMO. You can get plenty of good pressure seals from seal shops that will seal just as well as enduro with far less stiction. They are just made of a really hard material that has loads of stiction, and it doesn't get a whole lot better with use.

I wouldn't go with stock rockshox seals (tend to be leaky), but yeah get them matched at a seal shop and see how that goes. Make sure you use the stock wipers, hopefully you/your shop didn't bin them. The enduro ones just help in adding stiction. :)

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
have enduros on my 888.....they've started to wear the ano off the back of the stanchions. but they look so damn sexy, so i'm probably sold for life

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
have enduros on my 888.....they've started to wear the ano off the back of the stanchions. but they look so damn sexy, so i'm probably sold for life
Was looking to try a pair of the enduros for my fox and boxxer, I do believe this has changed my mind. Looks like Im stay with SRAM and Fox.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I have them fitted on my Totem. I 'sized' them a little before installation (basically stretched the top lip a little with some fine emery cloth). They have been running just fine on my fork since. No leaks, great action....

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Enduro seals are like fricken pressure rated to 3000psi...

I'd reccomend stock rockshox seals. See if a local shop has some lying around instead of ordering them at premium off the interweb first.

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Haha, enduro seals on anything are a bad idea IMO. You can get plenty of good pressure seals from seal shops that will seal just as well as enduro with far less stiction. They are just made of a really hard material that has loads of stiction, and it doesn't get a whole lot better with use.

I wouldn't go with stock rockshox seals (tend to be leaky), but yeah get them matched at a seal shop and see how that goes. Make sure you use the stock wipers, hopefully you/your shop didn't bin them. The enduro ones just help in adding stiction. :)

hey Udi, do you think i could find Fox 40 seals at a seal shop in OZ? I've been trying to get some this week and no bike shops in Melbourne seem to stock them.

MTB R&D

Chimp
Oct 10, 2008
In a demo Tent near you...
We went back to the stock Rock Shox seals after the Enduro seals. I like Enduro stuff on other forks. We found we have to give the Totem a good wipe down after each ride to make the seals last/not leak.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Could it be that the larger stanction requires a similar pressure per radial inch as a smaller stanchion, thus due to the wider area has more stiction?

Makes sense in my head.

Larger stanchions are just harder to seal and make smooth at the same time. Marzocchi bypasses this issue by having an open oil bath to lube their incredibly tight seals.

Totem needs open bath and tighter seals. End of story.

Seen WAY too many of those and fox 40s pissing oil all over the place at Whistler last year.

Marocchi just understands pressures, pumps, etc better than ANYONE else.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Yes. They should be required by law to supply everybody with seals/wipers. FWIW, I put Enduro seals on my 36 and while they have been (obviously) leak free, but I do sense a little more stiction. Not terrible, but noticeable IMO. Personally, I don't want seals to be like by lower sphincter (which leaks all the time, with occasional spectacular blowouts)...Hmm, I wonder if Marz could help me out?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
hey Udi, do you think i could find Fox 40 seals at a seal shop in OZ? I've been trying to get some this week and no bike shops in Melbourne seem to stock them.
They don't use a pressure seal unless you're running an enduro setup - I'm no 40 expert, but I think the enduro setup uses a thinner wiper that allows them to fit an oil seal underneath it? Something like that. Seal shops usually only sell the actual pressure seal, with the wiper being a fork proprietary part. So I guess your options are fox or enduro unless you want to take the fork to a local seal shop and see if there are fitting alternatives.

Marzocchi bypasses this issue by having an open oil bath to lube their incredibly tight seals.

Totem needs open bath and tighter seals. End of story.

Seen WAY too many of those and fox 40s pissing oil all over the place at Whistler last year.

You're wrong on so many counts. For one, the reason marzocchis have minimal stiction isn't because they use an open bath and "incredibly tight seals". That is so far off the mark it's not funny. They use NOK brand seals which would be a classic example of a seal that seals properly while leaving minimal stiction - see my previous post. They don't make their own seals, they just picked a good company to source them from. I've had similarly good results with TTO seals.

Secondly, fox40's piss oil everywhere because they don't even use a pressure seal, a completely different setup again that's not even fair to use in comparison.

Finally, no, the totem doesn't need tighter seals and an open bath. What it needs is a better quality pressure seal (see above) combined with the stock wipers (that work fine). It's going to be a $10 investment max if you care to pick up your phone directory and find a few seal shops.

I'm sure your last statement could do with some tangible evidence behind it as well, but I'm no expert on pressure pumps. :)

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
The totems I have worked on have all just been run dry. They seems to come near dry from the factory and after a few runs they are basically running on empty. No one seems to be arsed to do the quick lube even when shown. The area for lube in the totem is pretty bloody small.

A hydro shop will be able to find a whipper, may be a custom order thing though. I just picked up one for my roco air rear shock as an example and its a pretty odd size. The enduros do work though, so if your a hack and you're not going to touch your bike- its a great solution. If you want it to run as best as possible- stick to the original and keep the maintenance up.

The fox 40 enduro seals do run a little thin pressure seal under the whipper. Don't get caught in thinking that this presses into the foam ring position. It wont go and you will bend the seal getting it in. Put the foam ring back in, then the pressure seal, then the whipper. Sorted. The owners of two sets I have installed have not complained. The owners of boxxer seals I have done have gotten over 12months of heavy riding with no issues.

Big tip for getting the totem seals out- use a hairdryer to heat them up. They are ridiculously tight tolerances into the lowers on the forks I have done.