Quantcast

Enduro; Still Great After All These Years

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I recently rebuilt the Enduro with the latest-and-greatest jibbery. The ride is much improved and the weight dropped by a couple of pounds which is always appreciated. Every time I want a new bike or wish I had a "real" DH bike the trusty Enduro reminds me just how much ass it kicks.

New Parts:
'08 Fox 36 Float R (replaced '07 36 TALAS RC2)
The Float is 1/2 lbs lighter and has smoother action than the TALAS. The new 2008 damper cartridge eliminates the need for the RC2 adjustment, especially on Float forks which inherently ramp up through the stroke. This fork is amazing, it is BUTTERY smooth and doesn't bottom out. It feels EXACTLY like a 40 in 7" mode and has the same axle-to-crown height. Super stiff and only 4.8 lbs uncut!

New XTR Gruppo (replaced old XT)
New XTR cranks, shifter, brakes, derailleur, cassette and chain. Shifting is bang-on and the 180mm brakes are crazy light yet incredibly powerful. The cranks are plenty stiff and also super light. I think these parts dropped about 1.5lbs compared to the XT/Hope M4 brakes I had prior and gained performance.

Easton Havoc AM wheelset
Since I'm not living in SB and riding Tunnel these days I decided to drop some weight on my wheels. I have to admit I was skeptical of the Havoc's with their 24 spokes and 28mm wide rims but after flogging them at Mammoth this weekend I can see why Intense specs these on the Socom. At 1800 grams a set these wheels are light and burly. Other than the reduced weight I cannot tell a difference compared to the Deemax. I'd be totally down to ride these wheels down any rocky trails w/o hesitation. So far so good!

Misc other new jibs include an Easton EC90 zero seatpost and a set of Wellgo MG-1 flat pedals. With Hutchinson tubeless 2.35 tires (Barracuda F, Pirhanha R) the bike weighs 31 lbs, with Minion 2.5 UST's it weighs about 33. If it were any lighter it would be too squirrely in the air and over rocks. As-is, it's perfect.

I went to Mammoth with a posse from work. It was my first time there and I was anxious to see what the pumice was all about. It only took a few runs to get the hang of it and after that it was on. The Enduro killed it, the only places where I had trouble was on a few sections of Chainsmoke and Bullet where the rocks are completely out of control and nothing short of a full-on DH race bike will do. Luckily I wasn't racing anyone but myself! I do wish I had a taco mounted on my LG-1 because I was apprehensive about killing my shiny new XTR chain. :D

This is the exact same bike I ride most everyday uphill, downhill, across the hill, whatever. I rode the D-Ville XC course on it a few weeks back and it ripped. If you are not competing at the very top level this bike can do almost anything very, very well. It's almost scary sometimes really. The bike whore in me wants something new but I know better and I'm going to keep her around for awhile longer.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Have you ridden that 36 much in XC-ish mode? So far I think the 36R would benefit from a bit of LSC. How are the 7/7 brakes working out? I'm guessing you're not trying to push it too crazy on the Enduro with them?

Slick bike though and nice pics, I need to get over and ride Mammoth.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Where is riding pic #2 taken? I don't recognize that spot.

Bike looks great, makes me want an Enduro again. The shot of you drifting Kamikaze is ace.

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY
does it climb really well? i really want to get one to replace my sx which is too small. i have a dh bike and a ht so this will be my xc/fr bike.

would you reccomend this or a stumpy?

sweet pics i want to ride trails like that.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
I totally agree. I have a 05 expert with DHX air 5.0 that was meant to basically be my trail bike (at the time I had a hardtail for dirtjumping/urban/whatever and a V10 for DH). Money got tight so both bikes were scrapped and now I only have the Enduro.

So, the Enduro became the bike I used for Whistler, DH races, etc (the only thing I changed for DH was a DRS chainguide, atomlab pedals, and a 8" rear rotor). The bike isn't as good as the V10 of course, but it is amazing how well it does. I actually prefer the lighter bike at Whistler.

The thing that really really surprises me though is how durable it has been. Other than the typical maintenance items I have basically had no problems at all.

Enduro mafia!

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Hooray for slack, short(ish) travel bikes. I'm in serious like with my Bottlerocket.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Have you ridden that 36 much in XC-ish mode? So far I think the 36R would benefit from a bit of LSC. How are the 7/7 brakes working out? I'm guessing you're not trying to push it too crazy on the Enduro with them?

Slick bike though and nice pics, I need to get over and ride Mammoth.
I'm digging the suppleness of the fork compared to the previous 36's I've owned. I'll take a bit more pogo stick on the climb for more cush on the way down. I mostly climb in the hills here in SC and I was hesitant to replace the TALAS but all of my riding buddies use the Van or the Float so I gave it a shot. So far I can't really complain. On a long sustained fireroad climb being able to drop the travel is nice but for most of the riding I do locally it's not a big advantage. Plus the Enduro has a low BB so when I'd run the TALAS at 4" I was dragging pedals on EVERYTHING.

So far the brakes are rockin'. I think Mammoth was a good enough test as far as extended DH runs and hard braking etc. Considering the light weight of the bike and my 150 lbs body weight I think 180's are the ticket. The lever feel of the XTR's is incredible as well.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Come on out son.

Just a guess here but with the low snow this past winter they might actually open upper velocity. That's one of the rowdiest sections of trail on the west coast.
There was no snow on upper velocity but it was still closed for some reason?! I found chainsmoke and Bullet challenging enough as is! Those rocks are teh gnarl!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Where is riding pic #2 taken? I don't recognize that spot.

Bike looks great, makes me want an Enduro again. The shot of you drifting Kamikaze is ace.
on Bullet about 1/4 of the way down from the top. Follow the dust cloud and you can see the orientation of the trail leading into that little drop.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
I don't want to make you feel stupid when we ride so I hold back about 50%. :D

You should have come, it was super fun! Did you go to Tahoe?....
I'm going to Tahoe tomorrow. You make me feel stupid when you climb faster than me with flat pedals. I try to chalk it up to your light weight, but then I remeber the 5 or so beers I had the previous night and realize that I am fat.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
That's because you ride a cross country bike.

Let me know next time you're going down there.
It's a cross-stuntry bike fool! Didn't you see the prototype Blackburn carbon fiber bottle cage?!

99% of the terrain on those trails was totally fine but those one or two rock gardens brought teh gnar. I was scraping my exposed chain across every rock. I pretty much destroyed a new set of pedals and I didn't want to do the same to a brand new XTR derail and chain!

I'd love to go to Mammoth with two bikes and ride the flowy trails one day on the Enduro and then hit the gnar gnar on a DH race bike.

I don't know if I'll be back there anytime soon but i may hit Tahoe this summer, if I do lets get together for sure!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I'm going to Tahoe tomorrow. You make me feel stupid when you climb faster than me with flat pedals. I try to chalk it up to your light weight, but then I remeber the 5 or so beers I had the previous night and realize that I am fat.
Be glad you're a morbid obese whorebag, your girth is what pins you to the ground allowing you to rail corners much faster than I ever could. ;)

n8nate

Chimp
Jul 18, 2005
Palo Alto, CA
I'd love to go to Mammoth with two bikes and ride the flowy trails one day on the Enduro and then hit the gnar gnar on a DH race bike.
2nd that.
Really nice bike, I've been wanting to put together a bike like that for awhile. Nice pictures and write-up as well! Mammoth looks great this year, hopefully I'll be able to head down sometime this summer.

-Nate

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Why did you get rid of the DHX-C? What size DHX-A are you running?
The coil would have been pretty nice for Mammoth but I didn't bother to take the time to mount it on the bike. I typically run the air (stock size) for local Santa Cruz riding since it's lighter and more pedal friendly. I also have a custom Heckler RP23 8.5x2.5" on the way to try out. It's .25" shorter but with the same stroke, so it'll slack the bike out juuust a hair. I'll post up impressions once I get some ride time in on it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's a cross-stuntry bike fool! !
I'm totally using that.

I don't know if I'll be back there anytime soon but i may hit Tahoe this summer, if I do lets get together for sure!
Between northstar and not northstar, it would be worth it.

Would be cool ride with you too.

edit: I agree on the 'few sections only' being dh bike worthy............but pinning it on those sections make bringing it sooooo worth it;)

I'm down in mammoth the weekend of aug 4, just in case you feel adventurous..

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Well sh*t the bed Ned! I've been busy getting married, so I've been a little out of the loop. Glad to hear you're back in town. Shoot me a PM and let's hook up a ride. Heading to N* this weekend, so look me up next week or something. :cheers:
Congrats on tying the knot!!! Have fun at N*, let's ride soon for sure!