Quantcast

Enduro thread

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
tell me about spokes. what are good brands/models? Sandvik tripplebutted? any of Sapim series? Pillar is new for me.

I ran Dt competition for 10 years and in some shops the price is a bit crazy nowadays. I thought it'd be fun to try another spokes for a change. It will be like at least 6-7 Wheel builds (cx, dj, en)

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
tell me about spokes. what are good brands/models? Sandvik tripplebutted? any of Sapim series? Pillar is new for me.

I ran Dt competition for 10 years and in some shops the price is a bit crazy nowadays. I thought it'd be fun to try another spokes for a change. It will be like at least 6-7 Wheel builds (cx, dj, en)
You'll have to wait for the Vital review later in the week, but fun fact about the Spank wheels: The entire line uses exactly one spoke length. Front, back, left, right. . . all the same.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Eastern States Cup, aside from DH seems to have a full plate: also a 5 race Enduro series and 2 Super D races:

http://www.easternstatescup.com/2013-eastern-states-cup-full-schedule-downhill-enduro-and-superd/

Enduro Series
July 6 Plattekill, NY NY State Championship Independence Weekend Bike Gathering
July 14 Attitash, NH NH State Championship
July 28 Killington, VT VT State Championship
Aug 4 Sunday River, ME ME State Championship
Aug 25 Killington, VT Enduro Regional Championship

SuperD Races (more to be added)
May 25 Plattekill, NY NY State Championship
July 5 Plattekill, NY Independence Weekend Bike Gathering

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Has that really made a difference since the days of v-brakes? All of my pinned rims have not failed at the seam...
FYI: pinned and sleeved are not the same.

It's spoke tension that give a rim its strength anyway, not the joint. Welded rims were a bigger deal in the rim brake era.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
As the enduro segments are like 1990's DH tracks and TLD revives the colors of the 90's, does this mean it is OK to wear skinsuits in enduro events? :weee: ;)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
nice to see they released the series, would love to see some course profiles as the dates near, as i'll have to pick and choose coming from PA.

Maybe i'll even bump into some of you guys at the races this year...2013 is looking awesome.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

Got the lightest model pillar mega lite ss so they are not cheap. Didn't pay for them but they are a competitor of sapim superspoke. Though they are much cheaper. That I remember. Held under dirt pro's when I got them. Not sure now.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
You'll have to wait for the Vital review later in the week, but fun fact about the Spank wheels: The entire line uses exactly one spoke length. Front, back, left, right. . . all the same.
Thanks, that has given me some good tools to sell Spank, and a better appreciation of their quality. +1.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/INSIDE-Spank-Industries-Factory-Tour,5001/Slideshow,0/sspomer,2

nice piece. informative and interesting, well shot, and well written. made me look up Fratelli Industries wondering if they have other clients than Spank...
Fratelli essentially is Spank, the owner invested in his own factory and they are currently making rims for a few other name brands which will have to remain nameless. But they aren't known for putting their names on crap.

Pretty common here really. There are only so many factories that can hoop rims, forge pedals, etc to the specific scale required by individual brands. Some use rebadged open source house brand components, others develop their own design and use a factory owned or shared by a larger brand. Way more cost effective and efficient.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Eastern States Cup, aside from DH seems to have a full plate: also a 5 race Enduro series and 2 Super D races:

http://www.easternstatescup.com/2013-eastern-states-cup-full-schedule-downhill-enduro-and-superd/

Enduro Series
July 6 Plattekill, NY NY State Championship Independence Weekend Bike Gathering
July 14 Attitash, NH NH State Championship
July 28 Killington, VT VT State Championship
Aug 4 Sunday River, ME ME State Championship
Aug 25 Killington, VT Enduro Regional Championship

SuperD Races (more to be added)
May 25 Plattekill, NY NY State Championship
July 5 Plattekill, NY Independence Weekend Bike Gathering
Looks like I'm going to travel just as far to race enduro as I do to race DH. :rolleyes:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
why do others have to do all the work for you, maybe put on your own event.
I've organized 5-6 races, PITA. I'd rather complain on the internet.

But in all seriousness, I'm excited for Enduro, I really hope over the next year or two Enduro's reach expands beyond established DH locations similar to what's happening in the pacific northwest. But in the meantime I'll STFU and just enjoy riding bikes, wherever that might be.

batts65

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Upstate NY
Looks like I'm going to travel just as far to race enduro as I do to race DH. :rolleyes:
Would love to have you at the ESC enduro races, but I understand the driving part. I do not want to speak for other promoters but I think you will see something closer.

Last edited: