Quantcast

Engineer Mtn., High Country Euphoria

anthonysloan

Chimp
Sep 7, 2004
I had a nice little high country ride yesterday. Engineer Mountain north of Durango. A very, very tasty descent is to be had there.

"early season conditions may exist"

To the left is the top of Molas Pass. If you've ever ridden or raced the Ironhorse, it is interesting to look down on that from above.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ahhhhh... the San Juans. How I love thee.

Engineer Mountain and environs are drop-dead spectacular. :thumb:

Every think about doing Silverton -> Durango in a day? 70+ miles. 10k feet of climbing involved (luckily there's *more* descent than climbing).

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
SkaredShtles said:
Sweet! Let me know when you get back - I'm not going to come visit you in LA, but I'll make a trip to Taos to ride. :sneaky:

Checking the forest fire conditions around the South Boundry Trail now... I'm going out there in 2 weeks.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
SkaredShtles said:
If you want fire conditions straight from the horse's mouth, I've got a buddy way up the chain of command in the office in Santa Fe.

They had a fire out there last Fri which closed part of the trail... I have a contact in Taos who's keeping me updated. I don't want to ride up there if the area is burned.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I Are Baboon said:
*sigh*

Some day....
Word. I tried for a long time to get my wife to agree to us moving out west, but she won't leave her family who is all here in NY. Maybe I can retire out there...in 30 years. :rolleyes:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
McGRP01 said:
Word. I tried for a long time to get my wife to agree to us moving out west, but she won't leave her family who is all here in NY. Maybe I can retire out there...in 30 years. :rolleyes:
Ouch.

Then you'll just have to sit by and watch the young bucks/fillies riding the stuff you *could've* ridden 30 years ago. :p

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
McGRP01 said:
Start a big fight so that she is mad at her family and then you can move out west. Problem solved!

;)