Quantcast

ENO hub worth it?

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
Is the ENO eccentric hub worth the extra cost?
for 70 dollars less I can just get a surly hub, but i'd have to run a tensioner (already own (thank you specialized for including one on a frame with horizontal dropouts (p.1)))
what do you guys think?

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
If you're happy having that tensioner hanging out there, then don't worry about it. The ENO (though really nice) is really for folks who don't want a tensioner for aesthetic or fashion reasons, or might be interested in running fixed (for which you can't run a tensioner).

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
yeah I think I am going to run it fixed, so screw the tensioner
a fixed trail bike, pretty cool
been looking at www.63xc.com and wanting a fixed for a while now, and since I'm going to Colorado College next year, I need a bike for around campus
so I think I'll convert the old spesh rockhopper ht to a fixie!!
oh man, now I'm getting excited!

does anyone know what ratio to use for fixed off roading?

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Oh yeah. No derailment is a big issue.

Sounds like you might have an ENO in your future.

I don't have a tone of off-road fixed experience, but I'd guess something like standard SS ratios would be a good place to start (32:16 - 36:16?)

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
I'm thinkin 32-16, keepin it simple
and I'm orderingit tommorow! along with a surly rigid fork
i'll post pics when its done

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Tensioners, are Ideal to try SS'ing without much investment but there is a drawback in derailment and chain slap if you start getting in rough terrain, the ENO hub is the bomb and is a great wat to convert your ride, as for the surly hubs I have a pair on my KM and I am not really happy with them, and will be upgrading at summers end, my hubs won't stay tight the cones keep loosening up, I have worked on my bikes since the 70' and haven't had this kind of problem since the old BMX bullseye hubs of the early eighties, I have had to shops adjust them to and after a ride or to whammo there is play again, so I no longer like these hubs, but do still love there frames and I got a Stainless chianring the is awesome....

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Question I've always had about these hubs (although I think they're a SWEET idea, don't get me wrong...)-

Do they make it a pain to use rim brakes? I can imagine it sucking if you had to realign your vbrakes every time you took off your wheel...

Or does the wheel position remain constant when you remove/reinstall the wheel?

MD

jace

Chimp
Sep 5, 2004
md/va
constant wheel position, Mike. only different when you need to retension the chain due to growth or a gearing change.

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
also, as everyone's favorite wrestler The Rock says "It doesn't matter!"
well, at least for me, fixie baby, no brakes needed!

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
ok now another q:
What kind of cog do I need? A thread on track hub?
Sorry I'm a noob to this (though not to SS (thank you BMX and P.1))

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
one last thing (probably not, actually)
what hub spacing do I need?
its a Spesh Rockhopper HT, I'm assuming all mtb ht's have the same hub spacing, I just don't know what it is

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Uh, don't think anyone answered. For singlespeeding, you need a BMX-style freewheel. For fixed riding you need a track-style cog. The ENO will take a freeshell on one side, and either a track cog or another freewheel on the other.

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
I ordered all of the stuff the other day

ENO hub
track cog
lockring
Surly rigid fork!

I'll post pics when I get it all together.