Quantcast

Eric Carter's Progressive Cycling Association

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
Hmmm...While perusing the Bootleg Canyon website I found this under the NEWS section:

Also coming September 24th and 25th is Eric Carter's Progressive Cycling Association. The first race will be held in Bootleg?

Does anyone have any details?

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
nanhar said:
Hmmm...While perusing the Bootleg Canyon website I found this under the NEWS section:

Also coming September 24th and 25th is Eric Carter's Progressive Cycling Association. The first race will be held in Bootleg?

Does anyone have any details?
We have been to Boot Leg and checked it out,PCA,Boulder City as well as Brent Thompson (trail network guru out there) are very excited about the possibility of a large event coming to town, we still have a few things to work out, the websites announcement is a bit early, but my broken collarbone may just be a bleasing as i have been able to get a lot done in the last week in regards to PCA for this year and the future.
i should be able to have a true press release in less then a month one way or another in regard to this event and what we have in the works for next year.

E.C.

b stevens

Chimp
Jul 12, 2004
so the next question is which mountain is going to jump on board with the PCA east series and where is the RNC race going to be.
RNC = real national championship

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Whatever happened to that place Eric Rekker (spelling??) got going back east, I think it was called 'deep creek' or something?.
Last I heard it sounded pretty rad and they wanted to get into some racing, I went there a few summers ago and seemed like a rad place for a summer RNC race? ;)

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
stiksandstones said:
Whatever happened to that place Eric Rekker (spelling??) got going back east, I think it was called 'deep creek' or something?.
Last I heard it sounded pretty rad and they wanted to get into some racing, I went there a few summers ago and seemed like a rad place for a summer RNC race? ;)

I haven't talked to Eric since he left Sun. However, I heard he was at Wisp? http://www.skiwisp.com/ [edit: that is deep creek]

I have heard that the place is decent. Haven't been there yet. They have some races scheduled. However, they are conflicting with other big east coast races.

EC: Shawn from Diablo would be a good person to approach. The US Open, this weekend, will be bigger than most Norba nationals and definatly has more prize money. PM me if you need contact info.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
ChrisKring said:
that is deep creek

I have heard that the place is decent. Haven't been there yet. They have some races scheduled. However, they are conflicting with other big east coast races.

Dear god not Marlyand:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: haha j/k
(note: i grew up in Maryland....so i've grown to hate that place! haha Not Deep Creek Lake...just Maryland in general ;))

Yah, i heard that place is pretty nice... for vacationing at least. ...not sure about DH riding though

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Any place we can come in and not have to compromise the "fun factor" for the riders we are open to check out.
if the vibe isn't there or the trial network just isn't that fun i don't see PCA coming in to get an event off just to have one.
if this place has fun stuff to ride, good condos/hotels within a reasonable drive and the ability to create a fun atmosphere we would love to take a look at it.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
Wow, this is great news. A race series for the racers? What a concept.

NORBA was a decent group back when they started but I really struggle to figure out how they managed to wind up where they are today. Are the XC guys happy with NORBA and it is just that they treat the gravity crowd poorly? Is it just a sign that it isn't possible to put on quality XC and gravity events at the same time?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
BC VAN said:
Any place we can come in and not have to compromise the "fun factor" for the riders we are open to check out.
if the vibe isn't there or the trial network just isn't that fun i don't see PCA coming in to get an event off just to have one.
if this place has fun stuff to ride, good condos/hotels within a reasonable drive and the ability to create a fun atmosphere we would love to take a look at it.
That's good news. That's how a a series should be- fun! ,because afterall, most people got into the sport to have fun, especially pros, because this isn't exactly the money sport.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Threepointtwo said:
Wow, this is great news. A race series for the racers? What a concept.

NORBA was a decent group back when they started but I really struggle to figure out how they managed to wind up where they are today. Are the XC guys happy with NORBA and it is just that they treat the gravity crowd poorly? Is it just a sign that it isn't possible to put on quality XC and gravity events at the same time?

I would say both groups are fairly unhappy as a whole, although the DH set is much more upset obviously. NORBAs problems started with the Merger of USCF(the road/track group), NORBA, and USPRO(Pro Road) into USAC. Long story short, if you look at the make-up for the USAC board who ultimately controls NORBA you'll notice there are two groups that have most of the seats, the Old 7-11 cycling gang and the JD Foundation, both groups could care less about the MTB sides of things, and so they treat NORBA as a redheaded step child. The biggest problem is the masses have lost their voice.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
stiksandstones said:
Can PCA make Brian Stickel its first employee? ;)
could you imagine it? stik remember those rider meetings we use to have, those things we're funny & intense at at the same time.

he shut Cully down so many times i lost count, fun stuff.

that guy is a cross between a rattle snake and a hornet, but he sure got things done.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
BC VAN said:
could you imagine it? stik remember those rider meetings we use to have, those things we're funny & intense at at the same time.

he shut Cully down so many times i lost count, fun stuff.

that guy is a cross between a rattle snake and a hornet, but he sure got things done.
I often disagreed with him, but came to respect him highly and loved his consistency and his ability to stick to his guns. Stubborn in a good way...more importantly when you talked to him-even if he thought your idea was stupid he DID listen to you...unlike some other promoters and officials I know.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
stiksandstones said:
I often disagreed with him, but came to respect him highly and loved his consistency and his ability to stick to his guns. Stubborn in a good way...more importantly when you talked to him-even if he thought your idea was stupid he DID listen to you...unlike some other promoters and officials I know.
I deeply enjoyed the Helen, GA boycott meeting. I stayed in a tent right behind the meeting hall and snuck in the back door and watched the whole meeting. Tomac got sooooo pissed.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
bizutch said:
I deeply enjoyed the Helen, GA boycott meeting. I stayed in a tent right behind the meeting hall and snuck in the back door and watched the whole meeting. Tomac got sooooo pissed.
Ahh yes, the good ole' days when the riders had the promoters/organization by the balls.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
As someone who used to be passionate about racing but no longer races, I have to say that I would love to see a new national series take off. I never got excited about the NORBA Series because I wanted bang for the buck and the series has never seemed to provide that for amateurs. Days away from work for very little actual riding time, crazy travel and lodging costs, etc. all conspire to chase people away. I know pro teams and riders pay a lot of money to go to these races, but the amateurs fees contribute a good bit (see parking costs at Mount Snow). Also, without the amateur riders there wouldn't be a crowd of spectators these days.

I understand the need to have races recognized internationally for the purpose of getting pros to the world cup level, but I, and most other riders at a race have no professional ambitions. Hence, we could care less if the UCI gives points for the results of a race. Kudos to anyone who can make a national level race have the feel and value of a well run local race. Good luck EC.

Groghunter

Chimp
May 24, 2006
Has there been any talk of an Arizona venue? I heard some rumors a while back that Sunrise Ski Resort was trying to get a Mountain States Cup race, so they might very well be interested. I know us Arizona riders would love to have at least one race a year where we don't have to drive to Cali, Utah, Colorado, or New Mexico. :wonky2:

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
at wisp (deep creek) eric and mikey valouch jr are getting the place going. 4 race series going on this summer and a whole new network of trails. Mostly working off volunteers from my understanding but good to have another place open.