Quantcast

Erm, a little cable release help on a xt 8speed pod

Jun 11, 2002
UK
This is unlike my old 9speed, the cable doesnt seem to be able to push out the back where the triggers are. I have tried taking the screw-in adjustor out and the cable will not release and come out if wiggled/pulled. You see i didn't fit it but i need to replace a gear cable.

Any help ASAP would be delightfully recieved, thank you please.

Attachments

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
You need to take off the small pastic piece that is held on by the screw underneath your thumb in the second picture. With this plastic piece removed, you should be able to easily see how to remove the cable and put in a new one. Hope this helps.

Jun 11, 2002
UK
is that standard precedure???

I reckon ill try it as im impatient. It just doesn't seem like shimano, they are normally quick and easy.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
yes, that is standard procedure (or was, until they improved it for 9sp).

Turn the shifter upside down, there's two tiny phillips-head screws that remove the little door. Click the trigger lever all the way until the cable shows up, then pull it out of the holder.

Careful with those screws, they're easy to ruin the heads on, and they tend to get lost too.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by swiss_less
You need to take off the small pastic piece that is held on by the screw underneath your thumb in the second picture. With this plastic piece removed, you should be able to easily see how to remove the cable and put in a new one. Hope this helps.
just for the record, this is not correct.

The proper screws to remove are as follows:
(glad electric W found 'em)

Attachments

Jun 11, 2002
UK
Yeah I took every bolt off leaving those two as they were the smallest, then you said to do them two. Those bolts just revealed the mechanics and no way to get the cable, the top two, predictably released the gear number mechanism.

thanks sub6.

Originally posted by sub6
...Careful with those screws, they're easy to ruin the heads on, and they tend to get lost too.
The most common reason for buggered heads on phillips head screws is using the wrong bit.

The most common size on bikes is #2. If you use a #1 bit on a #2 screw head or vice-versa, you will damage it. If you have the right size, it'll fit in dead snug.

J