Quantcast

Etiquette of Hosting Parties/Events

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just ran across this article, and am completely flabbergasted that this kind of behavior actually happens:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/09/10/lw.pay.for.my.party/index.html

I've hosted a few small get togethers in my time, but if ever I need/expect my guests to bring something, I let them know well in advance. Usually it would only be beverages (beer, wine, bottle of choice), not because I'm cheap, but because a good number of my friends that I invite like to put down a few drinks (myself included, but I always make sure I have booze for myself).

Has any garbage like this ever happened to other monkies? How did you handle it?

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
I can't remember one situation where it wasn't upfront about what was expected at a party. On that note if I am invited to dinner I always bring a bottle of wine, or if it is my birthday I am always ready to pay for my own things if people don't offer to buy stuff for me.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Wow. Some fine examples of pure selfishness. Birthdays cease to be a big deal all about you after you turn 11 and don't get the pony.

I if host a social event (rarely) I expect to provide food and suggest that if my guest prefer to bring their own libations feel free, but let it be known what the menu will be and what flavors of drinks I have.

I don't, however, tend to make accommodations to vegan diets, Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers point cards or other unique or otherwise weird eating/drinking habits.

I would never go out to a birthday dinner and expect anyone to pay for me. My last birthday, I took a few folks out to lunch and paid for them, just because I was happy to be around another year.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I suggested we have a small party for a good friend's mother who will be 83 tomorrow. The mother has alzheimer's and loves my little girl so we thought it would be nice. We showed up with a card and flowers to have a chinese buffet. When I went to pay I was told my friend had already done so. It's hard to believe that my friends are so much more classy than plenty I see. I'm glad to be fortunate. Most people need to be slit in the jugular.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
You've got to be a moron to invite people to a party and expect them to pay, unless that is discussed up front. And in such a case, that's not a party. That's a "Hey, let's all take Joe out for a birthday dinner."

I prefer house parties though. More specifically, house cookouts.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I didn't click the link, but the comments make me remember why I don't mind not having a huge (more than 1 or 2) group of friends.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I've been in that situation numerous times. The worst part about these instances is that, in my experience, the individual(s) responsible for the cheapness are usually the ones that could most easily afford the meal.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just make sure I'm passed out or vomiting at that point in party. Few people will ask you to buck up if there is a chance they will get puked on.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
My friends aren't that dumb....

I wouldn't call people that did that friends.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You are all invited to my party this weekend. Food booze and strippers!!!!!
$200 at the door.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Isn't it kind of common to pay for a friends birthday meal?
The first case was everyone else partied it up as well. I am glad to pay for my share and part of the birthday girl's bill, but not for everyone else.

But I don't have any casual friends, so I don't have these kinds of problems.