Quantcast

ETSU Weekend World Champs - TN State Champs

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
We talked to USA Cycling and the Weekend World Champs this weekend (April 24-25) is going to be the TN state championships.

Basically this means that those of you looking to qualify for nationals can do so at our race. Everything is staying the same time wise. Also, we will keep the open class for those of you lacking a license. Sorry for such late notice, next year we will get on it sooner and maybe make this a yearly thing if we get a good turnout. We will also be adding in a junior class now that this is a state champs race.

So what better than a cheap, close, fun race that will qualify you for nationals?

Here is the flyer again for those who have not seen it:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Good job.
Sounds good.
Is the slalom course fun?
I am not sure if I will be able to come back and race the MTX on Sunday after racing on Saturday, but I want to stay after the DH and hit up the slalom.

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
yea the dual slalom course is fun. here is a little course layout (sorry no pictures):

gate
1 or 2 flat turns
roller/step down
4 berms
2 flat turns
berm
flat turn
small double
berm
small jump
finishing over the 4x table top at bottom

the course is easily rideable on both ds and dh bikes.

danennis

Chimp
Aug 29, 2009
brevard
awesome guys! thanks so much, this is a good thing for southern gravity racing. I'll def be out both days. By the way anyone got a floor i could crash on? I'm poor...

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Course description of the dh course? From what I've heard, I'd be fine with my blur 4x and my downhill bike would be overkill. :confused:

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
Moto is right, the course is generally fun on whatever bike you choose, but definitely quickest on a short travel bike. The only section that could be tough is the very bottom of the course, but its a really short section.

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
In case you are getting anxious about the weather, this event is going on rain or shine. If it does happen to get sloppy in the afternoon, you will want some kind of spikes for slalom. Downhill probably wont be quite as sloppy as the dual slalom course, but having a set of spikes close at hand wouldnt hurt. The DH course usually wont get sloppy until about a day after the race, during the rain isnt too bad.

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
I just want to say thanks to all those who showed up today. We got really lucky with the weather being so good. I hope everyone liked all the courses. There was some really good racing going on during the dual slalom race, always good to see that. The juniors were looking especially fast today, props to them. If you see something wrong in the results, let me know and I will fix it.

Downhill:

Dual Slalom:

Hopefully in the next few days we will get some pictures loaded up from the racing.

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Best race ever. The DS was awesome. Don't thnk I saw a single person no having a blast. The course was simple but hard to ride fast. The end of the open class had some super close racing that had guys holding it wide in the flat turns.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I'm gonna guess that someone in this pic was DQ'd...

Nah man,
I was racing two cross. Its a sport I made up. Either that or I am just color blind. :rofl:
Ha, that was the run that I hit that double into the berm unclipped, about died, and then proceeded to miss about 5 gates.

Big thanks to the ETSU guys for putting this race on. I had more fun riding and racing that slalom course than I have had in a long time.
My ankle was the size of a grapefruit, and it hurt walking back up the hill, but I could not quit riding that course.
WE NEED MOAR SLALOM RACES!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Ha, that was the run that I hit that double into the berm unclipped, about died, and then proceeded to miss about 5 gates.
A result of this for sure....

Yikes..

Look at the fear in my face. I get a pretty good laugh at this. I look impaired.

If I had known the rain held off enough for the dirt to look that good on Sunday I would have drive backup there. But you guys need to run another one of these gravity races all in one day. DH, DS, and 4x. We could have easily done 4x after until dark. Plus the dirt jump line was a blast too.

Last edited:

tbird0216

Chimp
Dec 24, 2004
Johnson City TN
Here are the 4X Results from Sunday:

Podium Pictures
Cat 1 Gravity Overall:

Junior Gravity Overall:

Junior Endurance Overall:

Weekend World Champ (Combined best of Endurance and Gravity):

We will definitely get another one of these races planned for the summer with everything on one day. Thanks again to all who came out and raced.

Last edited:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
You guys did an awesome job! That race was so much fun...that's what racing is all about for sure. I should have pedaled harder on the DH but hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Dhracer3

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Fletcher NC
Yep, that was it. I somehow rode that out, and then decided I would just follow Craig down in his lane.;)

When you do this on your first DH practice run of the day, and then have full day of racing ahead of you, it sure does make it interesting:

Funny.. for a second I thought that was my picture of a swollen ankle.. I seem to have a lot with my ankle all swollen..