Quantcast

Eurobike 2009 coverage

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
It's nice and I'm well aware that you are partial too this company, but "rediculous FEA analysis" on a stem?? Only an engineer that works in the bike industry would think that a machined direct mount stem is that super complicated.

I could care less about the ID of the stem, but it definitely appears to be made with a keen sense to manufacturing and the finish should be second to none.

I'll be curious to see the cost. Being and American brand that is built in house, I'm sure they're doing their due diligence to reduce manufacturing cost and maximize profit for a very niche product.
You know, I don't know that I've ever asked if they even make money off their bike stuff. I'm sure they do, but their website lists their bike stuff as the second link, not option 1. The owner, god rest his soul, was insanely passionate about bikes though.

I'm such a fan because they make things as close to perfect as one can ask without an ounce of flash.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
You know, I don't know that I've ever asked if they even make money off their bike stuff. I'm sure they do, but their website lists their bike stuff as the second link, not option 1. The owner, god rest his soul, was insanely passionate about bikes though.

I'm such a fan because they make things as close to perfect as one can ask without an ounce of flash.
Amen :thumb:

They do make great stuff without any fluff or flash which is probably a testament that they are more than just a bike product company.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Yep, you were right. Check out how low this setup is.
55mm length is nice too. I run a 55 now, but it is a way higher setup.

http://www.derailedonline.com/archives/000444.html
Based on those pictures from derailed, Thomson must have a new rookie designer. The stem overhangs off the back of the crown (looks crap) and they use a bunch of metal on the top clamps purely as a superficial cover for the crown bolts - no structual benefit. It probably doesn't weigh a lot, but more than it should. And it's just ugly! :think:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Another interesting gearbox high-pivot fusion with crazy HA. Do any of you know who is the man behind it ?

Pictures of both bikes from here.
Love the stem/bars/grips combo ;) Man that thing looks ugly and the designers seem to have no idea what it really is looking at the angles and gear.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
that is just a bike for Roox to hang their components off. They seem to have reintroduced the exact same line they had before but in new colours. Not exactly a thrilling re-entry to the market

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
that is just a bike for Roox to hang their components off. They seem to have reintroduced the exact same line they had before but in new colours. Not exactly a thrilling re-entry to the market
I just noticed I have the same seatpost but in black, same for the stem but I bought them like 6 or more years ago. Do they even know the meaning of the word innovation?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
why would they need to make new products when they can just remake their old ones in new colours? Colour matching will make you eleventy percent faster*

*according to latest polls on Pinkbike

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
why would they need to make new products when they can just remake their old ones in new colours? Colour matching will make you eleventy percent faster*

*according to latest polls on Pinkbike
I have nothing against a wide colour offer on parts as I like my bikes to look bling but selling the same crap for that long?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
when you look at their website the stems section still has a shim for a 11/8 stem to fit a 1" steerer, and an adaptor for quill forks to use a bolt on stem.....old school indeed!

Having said that their chainguides have a very good reputation, and anyone who wants something different to mrp/e.13/gamut would be well served

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
And what about this burly fusion of interesting tele-lever front and Lawwill like rear ?

I've always been fascinated by alternative front suspensions. The Telelever/SaxTrac font suspension has some merit in its ability to separate braking and suspension forces but the packaging of a suspension mountain bike makes it a bit difficult to implement correctly- you need to have a long control arm (A-arm) so the geometry doesn't get all wonky. Another problem is that is has higher unsprung weight (a telescopic fork is tough to beat as far as bikes are concerned.) Ideally you also want to have a separate shock actuated by the control arm instead of keeping the spring/damper guts in the sliders.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have nothing against a wide colour offer on parts as I like my bikes to look bling but selling the same crap for that long?
thomson hasn't exactly innovated with their seatpost tech...it just works...well...forever. If Roox's stuff is similar, why change it? Thomson is still my #1 choice even though the post on my bike now is no different than the one on my bike in 99.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
when you look at their website the stems section still has a shim for a 11/8 stem to fit a 1" steerer, and an adaptor for quill forks to use a bolt on stem.....old school indeed!
There are prolly more fixie scenester tards who would need an ano purple 1" quill stem than DH'ers who might need a direct mount DH stem...

-ska todd

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
the canfields have been talked about on here plenty, still not taken by the shape myself.

the NC-17 pedals with Alu pins is sure to attract its fair share of nay-sayers aswell, i prefer the shape over the canfield crampons though

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
ive seen the issues my friend has had with his Session 88 and id stick with the tried and true 1 1/8"
Which are..? 1.125 works. 1.5 works. I see no reason why half of one and a bit of the other wouldn't work, especially if you're just slinging a 1.125 in there with a non-uniform headset.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
The Order used a tapered HT w/ zerostack upper & standard external lower. This is done to allow for greatest choice of fork lengths/travel, headset brands, and steerer tubes. All of the major HS mfgrs are now making tapered HS to fit this. It's the same as used by Giant. It's not a Frustratem headset, as used on the Treks, which forces you into using only a couple headsets available.

Basically, on the Order you can use any fork 130-160mm if it uses a standard 1 1/8" steerer, or a 130-140mm fork using tapered steerer, without killing the geometry or the BB height. Just use either an external lower cup, an adapter w/ standard lower cup, or a 1.5" zerostack lower cup depending on your geometry needs or fork length.

-ska todd