Quantcast

Eurobike 2009 coverage

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
That Thomson thing looks massively overbuilt for a company that has some seriously lightweight posts, no?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
check this out,i hope you guy's are liking it what Hope has made
I like it very very much. I've always wanted to make a one-piece stem/crown, surprised they haven't come to market before. Integration rocks - lighter, stiffer, less to go wrong, less to maintain. Hell I'm all for a one-piece stem/crown/bar*! Obviously the downsides of that (and this) are price, and that you have to replace the whole lot should it break, but that's outweighed by the positives in my book.

Another idea of mine - imagine how light a combined cassette/freehub body could be?

*which obviously wouldn't really have a stem at all, the bars would just emerge from either side of the crown, with the relevant bends to get the reach you want, etc.

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I am not sure, but I think it was displayed on manequin with boobies ;)

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Here are some pics I took during Eurobike
http://43ride.com/events/eurobike2009/
those two GTs are stunning!!!! :eek:

First "messy" TLD kit I've seen that I quite like...
http://43ride.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/img_3552.jpg

I prefer this for messy kit http://43ride.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/img_3450.jpg

but i think messy kit like that is better for race teams. its going to start to be a real eyesore once you see ten people wearing it on the hill

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I dig the monster one, shame I can't wear it without everyone thinking I fancy myself as the next Hill.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
If you look closely at the Thomson, the bars actually sits below the top of the crown. Maybe it's an illusion, but that would explain the extra beefy look.
In theory, you could get you bars below your headtube.

mike425

Monkey
Apr 16, 2004
I am very interested in this bike as well. Does anyone know the company? I have being searching google for COPE and cant find a thing!

xxFRESHxx

Chimp
Jun 21, 2008
Germany, BY
http://www.cope-cycles.de/

adjusting the shock should be no problem because the downtube is open from below (as you can see in the background). a fender to keep the dirt away is in the making.

even though it kinda looks like it it's not really a DH frame that's meant to be raced.
170/190mm travel, 66° head angle and 4200g without shock isn't exactly what you look for in a race frame. still nice tough.

Last edited:

mike425

Monkey
Apr 16, 2004
Thanks for that! Shame there is no english version of their site. Having looked at the geo though it does seem a tad different to what I would be after. Its a shame, I really like the low standover and clean lines!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
If you look closely at the Thomson, the bars actually sits below the top of the crown. Maybe it's an illusion, but that would explain the extra beefy look.
In theory, you could get you bars below your headtube.
It's not an illusion. I've been drooling over the prototype pic on my computer for a while now. :nerd: Super simple, insanely light, crazy stout, only 6 bolts, ridiculous FEA analysis, meticulous made in the USA manufacturing at mega tight tolerances.

Just a blatantly simple and no nonsense way to bolt your bars to your bike. Who gives a crap about fancy curves, machined out excess material for looks, and pretty little engravings if they do nothing to make your bike stronger?

They "might" offer different height lower halves or stackable risers under the main piece to adjust bar height....but I doubt it. Sort of a waste considering the added cost and bins of piddly little parts to have to keep track of. I suggested it but there's not much justification to do it.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
There's no way that thing is "insanely light" unless those clamps are hollowed out.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
that cope frame has a 1.5 headtube so could easily be slacked out to about 64 degrees with some angled reducer cups.....

love the hope stem, would like to see the empire frame its attached too if anyone has the link.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
It's not an illusion. I've been drooling over the prototype pic on my computer for a while now. :nerd: Super simple, insanely light, crazy stout, only 6 bolts, ridiculous FEA analysis, meticulous made in the USA manufacturing at mega tight tolerances.

Just a blatantly simple and no nonsense way to bolt your bars to your bike. Who gives a crap about fancy curves, machined out excess material for looks, and pretty little engravings if they do nothing to make your bike stronger?

They "might" offer different height lower halves or stackable risers under the main piece to adjust bar height....but I doubt it. Sort of a waste considering the added cost and bins of piddly little parts to have to keep track of. I suggested it but there's not much justification to do it.

It's nice and I'm well aware that you are partial too this company, but "rediculous FEA analysis" on a stem?? Only an engineer that works in the bike industry would think that a machined direct mount stem is that super complicated.

I could care less about the ID of the stem, but it definitely appears to be made with a keen sense to manufacturing and the finish should be second to none.

I'll be curious to see the cost. Being and American brand that is built in house, I'm sure they're doing their due diligence to reduce manufacturing cost and maximize profit for a very niche product.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
It looks a bit like a strange thingy that comes with the nicolai ufo ST. Do they do the same or am I stupid?
thats something completely different on the nicolai this "rod" is there for a force transfer from the downtube back to the seattube
that way they can use a ligther butted downtube for the frame.
the seattube has to be straight tube with "thick" walls anyway.

hope that makes sense in english :/

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
was just about to mention the idler, wonder how the orange rides with the altered chainline.....

and whatever people say about the imperial frames I think they look incredible, especially that factory Hope one. Nice to see new thinking from small companies. Anyone ridden one?