TN
...Dude down the street wants $10 each for the things. I need about 20 :rant:

Is that what they normally go for?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
F*ck that.
There's some tracks not too far from the house. I'll just go pry some up.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
A very short railroad.

Edit: Damn, sniped!

Just sort of enclosing the garden I tilled in actually.

badphish

Monkey
Feb 28, 2008
I was looking at them at Lowe's a few weeks ago for a project. I think they were $12 a piece.

May parents have had them around their patio and all around the house as planters and they last a LONG time. I remember a couple of them being replaced for rot, but the majority probably have never been replaced in 30 years. Although, my dad used to brush oil on them...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would think the tar would be bad for the soil if they are actual ties.

Where is our resident train expert monkey Potroast?

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
...Dude down the street wants $10 each for the things. I need about 20 :rant:

Is that what they normally go for?
I just redid the garden edging at my parents house. I didn't use railroad ties specifically, but 6"x6"x8' lumber. Home depot charged a little more than 20 apiece. If they're a lil worn, and shorter than about eight feet, then 10 is about right.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I got ten of them in one load check out the truck.

Mud flaps dragging the ground. :rofl: Good thing those leaf springs didnt just shatter. It was a little squirrely to drive that way.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Jesus, what a bunch of pvssies.

These railroad ties are used and probably 20 years old...anything that was going to leach out of them probably did so long ago. No reason to get all chicken little about some hippie mumbo jumbo.

Oh no "creosote" is going to get me :rolleyes:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Jesus, what a bunch of pvssies.

These railroad ties are used and probably 20 years old...anything that was going to leach out of them probably did so long ago. No reason to get all chicken little about some hippie mumbo jumbo.

Oh no "creosote" is going to get me :rolleyes:
:stupid:

Although why you'd bother putting anything around that random garden in the middle of the yard is beyond me...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, it looks nice (IMO) and will stop me from weedwhacking all the tomato plants. Also, you can see I kind of leveled off that section compared to the grade of the yard. It'll hold water better.
Also since it's a nice, defined area, I can use it to dump all my leaves and grass in there, till it all under etc. Just one patch of soil separated from the weeds.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Shrubber ?

According to urban dictionary, no. Or at least I haven't hear too many complaints.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
my uncle had his mailbox smashed a few times by kids driving by with baseball bats. he's handy with the tools, and a crafty old stote, so he rebuilt the mailbox on a spring-loaded hinge. the next time the kids took a crack at it, it just moved out of the way and then returned itself to the factory preset location.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
my uncle had his mailbox smashed a few times by kids driving by with baseball bats. he's handy with the tools, and a crafty old stote, so he rebuilt the mailbox on a spring-loaded hinge. the next time the kids took a crack at it, it just moved out of the way and then returned itself to the factory preset location.
I've thought about getting one of those huge mailboxes, placing a smaller one inside and filling the gap with cement. I wouldn't care if some redneck kid broke his wrists playing mailbox baseball, I just don't want to be responsible if someone crashes into it and gets their head ripped off.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I've thought about getting one of those huge mailboxes, placing a smaller one inside and filling the gap with cement. I wouldn't care if some redneck kid broke his wrists playing mailbox baseball, I just don't want to be responsible if someone crashes into it and gets their head ripped off.
you could just put a plastic bag full of dog crap on the side of your box, then put a false siding bit up to cover it. then when they whack the box, they get splattered with crap. i suppose you could use pink dye too, if you wanted a less smelly option.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Now all B.S. needs is a scarecrow, which seems like a good photoshop op. Somebody chop this into his garden.
or put it over his mailbox.....you unzip his pants to check the mail.