Quantcast

... ever hooked up a grom ?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
... ever hooked up a random grom you don't know but thinks deserves it?

if this kid is still coming out to our spot a month from now, i want to build some kind of 20" for him. he's riding a walmart NEXT. he eats shlt and immediately gets up and keeps riding. listens to everything we're saying. riding with one pedal completely broken off down to the spindle.

thing is, though, have any of yall ever done that, and how do parents react?

let them get him a bike? at least i'm gonna hook him up with pedals, but i'd like to see him on a whole new bike.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
... ever hooked up a random grom you don't know but thinks deserves it?

if this kid is still coming out to our spot a month from now, i want to build some kind of 20" for him. he's riding a walmart NEXT. he eats shlt and immediately gets up and keeps riding. listens to everything we're saying. riding with one pedal completely broken off down to the spindle.

thing is, though, have any of yall ever done that, and how do parents react?

let them get him a bike? at least i'm gonna hook him up with pedals.

Hook him up. It will make you feel good. Just make sure his parents know where the bike came from so they don't think he stole it...

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
That would be awesome. Looks like he could definitely use a new bike, and if he keeps coming there, he's obviously into the sport and willing to take the falls to get better. I wouldn't get him anything to spectacular, though. Even if you got him like a decent Schwinn BMX bike, and a helmet, he'd be super pumped.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Do it before that bike tacos under him and he gets pwned.
Try to make him earn it in some way, even if it's just periodically cleaning up the area. He'll appreciate it more if it's not just handed to him for free.

come down to my hood and you will see a grip of the groms around here riding all my old bikes and stuff. my thinking is, i'm never really gonna use my old stuff since i can afford to just buy new stuff, so i might as well give it to someone who can use it. every one of their parents are always stoked since the stuff i give them is way more high end than their parents will ever buy them anyway...

i'll go into my garage tomorrow and see what bmx stuff i've got laying around and pm you with what i've got at the moment...

Last edited:

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
BMX's first community sponsored rider?

We could swoop this kid up and MAKE him do sweet tricks.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Good for you cmc!

RM Monkeys have contributed to many bikes and I've donated them through a group called Church on the Streets here in Phoenix. I'll get off my azz and finish bike #9.

If you want to take possession of the Gary Fisher frame (found here) I can ship it and some parts to go with to build him up a tasty new ride.

Let me know.

dogbreathusa

Chimp
Oct 15, 2008
haha!..that little guy was like an energizer bunny!!....he probably did 3 laps for every 1 of my laps...plus he didnt have any water.

if you have a bike you dont mind parting with and this little guy keeps showing up i say go for it. give him a bike and let him sort it out with his parents or gardiens...

btw...i've given away a few bikes & skateboards to what i thought were worthy receipents....(kyles riding my old bike)

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
Gave my newest skateboard to a 11 year kid that lives in my apt. complex on tuesday actually. Him and one of his friends are always at the park across the parking lot and sharing an old powell board. My ankles can't handle too many more bails so I gave him my board that had like 5 or 6 rides on it. He has been outside every afternoon for hours since then. Teaching him to ollie and the mechanics of a kickflip/heelflip tomorrow after I get home from class. He said his mom isn't home very much because she works alot but he'd rather be outside than inside playing video games... Man no one ever gave me sh!t when I was a kid. If you have the means to improve his bike, hook him up. The look in his eyes and on his face will be all the gratitude you will need.

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Cool.... I really appreciate all the offers of mailing parts....

Lemme figure out what I and my friends have first (which is a lot), then I'll let yall know. Plus, I want to see if he continues to come out to the spot.

I'm pretty sure this kid would be best on a 20" bmx. 20" mini-mtb's are kinda pointless in my opinion.... a kid that want to jump and ride a pump track doesn't need gears, especially when they're always messed up.