Quantcast

ever seen one of these before..

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
I was watching OLN dirtriders last night. They had a feature on MX trials, whoa! First I've heard of it. The bikes weigh in the 150 pound range, and were pulling off some of the same stuff the regular trials riders do. I'm not really into MX, but this looked amazing.

The bikes looked like this..

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
yeah seen plenty before, i wouldnt say it was very popular but it does have a following, i used to watch it a lot but they kinda just stopped showing it, i dunno maybe its just the off season or something.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
mike67 said:
I was watching OLN dirtriders last night. They had a feature on MX trials, whoa! First I've heard of it. The bikes weigh in the 150 pound range, and were pulling off some of the same stuff the regular trials riders do. I'm not really into MX, but this looked amazing.

The bikes looked like this..
I do believe that motorcycle trials existed LONG before folks started doing it with bikes. It is AMAZING what you can climb/jump up with the blip of a throttle...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I see those at Whistler all the time. I here there are some good spots up near Pemberton. They can basically go up anything you can ride down.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
it seems like it'd be hard to controll the throttle and clutch while trying to muscle the bike around like a trials rider would. Of course maybe that's the catch is you use the clutch and throttle rather than muscling the bike around.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Kornphlake said:
it seems like it'd be hard to controll the throttle and clutch while trying to muscle the bike around like a trials rider would. Of course maybe that's the catch is you use the clutch and throttle rather than muscling the bike around.
maybe they use those viscous auto-clutch things, and i cant see them using the right foot for rear braking.

J.R.B

Chimp
Nov 6, 2001
Some vids of the pro moto trialser's here.

Link

The control's are the same as a regular motorcycle. Right foot still controls the rear brake. There's a club in my town. I've been tempted more than once to drop DH racing and picking up one of these. Almost costs the same...

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Kornphlake said:
It is a dance with the bike.

Kinda like working your way up a steep loose hill on a MTB....to exagerated or abrupt (unless needed) a move and you get in trouble.

It is alot of clutch, brake, weight transfer, and using the engine to help you instead of hinder you.

I never could get the hang of it....it is a different beast than racing Harescrambles and MX.

A dance is a good way to describe it....the rider is working with the bike to get over around and through some nasty stuff. Same as a pedal powered trials rider....just a different steed.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
zedro said:
maybe they use those viscous auto-clutch things, and i cant see them using the right foot for rear braking.
They use the right foot to brake unless they changed something recently.

and they use a traditional clutch.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
My friend has a couple Gas Gas mototrials bikes. Super fun. Controls are just the same as any other motorcycle, but suprisingly easy to still throw the bike around.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
RhinofromWA said:
that looks like the killer up section of the worlds round held in Arcadia, RI. i saw two of those comps, and both were great fun to watch. the 2nd time had brit rider dougie lampkin clean all 15 sections on his second loop. :thumb:

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
I htink the forst Monster T's actually were a bets Production motorcycle trials fork, with little to no modifications.....

I just got an old one (Monster) and have been looking into details about them lately.

Neat stuff no matter what!

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Captain Crunch said:
I htink the forst Monster T's actually were a bets Production motorcycle trials fork, with little to no modifications.....

I just got an old one (Monster) and have been looking into details about them lately.

Neat stuff no matter what!
That's what I remember hearing; that the Monster was pretty much taken off a trials bike and slapped on a bicycle.

Aug 22, 2004
its a trial moto bike i think they look pretty damb cool. i dont see how those people do those kinds of things on moto bikes. i have to say they got skill

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
you'd never guess what i seen today while up at my local DH track.

a dude came up with a moto trial bike, a gas gas to be exact totally kitted up pro style.
while sitting around at the bottom of the course, we here a faint sound of a motorbike, he went past us and just rips up to the remenants of an old riverbed that was nearby(rocky as hell) hops acrross all of the boulders and then proceeds to make his way up what used to be a water fall, it was crazy i tell you. i'd never seen it in real life before, the bike control was amazing. he came over and spoke to us, turns out that the old dryed up river and the hill that the DH course is built on was an old outdoor moto trials compitition venue, you learn something new every day.

sorry i never got any pictures, i forgot to bring the camera.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Those moto trials guys are amazing. In one of my Fox MX videos there's a guy names Geoff Aaron that is amazing. He rides up some insane stuff.

mr.terrible

Chimp
Aug 24, 2004
Finland
Moto trials has been around since the 1950's or something like that. It is one of the oldest forms of motorcycle competition. I guess it is not very popular outside Europe. Around these parts there are a lot of good local riders and some nice spots. All in all, It is pretty amazing to see what these loonies can ride on those beast's.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
hucker13 said:
Those moto trials guys are amazing. In one of my Fox MX videos there's a guy names Geoff Aaron that is amazing. He rides up some insane stuff.
He is in "Terra Firma 7" and possibly some of the older Terra Firma's also, he is also in "Throttle" (Talyor Congdon of Chainsmoke 2's latest film)

There is also a French rider in Throttle, I can't remember his name but he is taking moto trials to the streets. He does sick nose-wheelies, wall-drops etc. He has some really cool quote about the cops chasing him all the time, he says in a thick french accent some thin like, "I say...catch me if you can." and then the vid shows a cop messing with him...

dsb1829

Chimp
Aug 25, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Nope, they have legitimate clutches. I saw these guys a few years back at Donner in Tahoe. Absolutely amazing to watch what these guys are capable of. They were free jumping up about a 7' rock face at one place by popping the clutch out and slamming the skid plate onto the vertex of the rock face then shifting weight forward to get the rear wheel up. I wouldn't have beleived it if I hadn't seen it.

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway
I'm surprised "you" haven't seen moto trials until now.
Eurosport here in Europe(doh!) have shown world cup and indoors comps the last 5-10 years. Unbelivable action...I like it.

Anywho, they show LOTS more moto trails than MTB, that's for sure!

Jorgen

dsb1829 said:
Nope, they have legitimate clutches. I saw these guys a few years back at Donner in Tahoe. Absolutely amazing to watch what these guys are capable of. They were free jumping up about a 7' rock face at one place by popping the clutch out and slamming the skid plate onto the vertex of the rock face then shifting weight forward to get the rear wheel up. I wouldn't have beleived it if I hadn't seen it.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
My Neighbor does that Shiat! He has a kewl little trials setup in his back yard with a 3 level retaining wall and some other obstacles.
He rides in the Expert Catagory. I have never seen him ride, but I assume that if he competes in the expert catagory, he must be pretty darn good.
His bikes are ragin sweet azz! Made in the U.K. and very expensive from what he has told me. He goes and competes at Natl events alot. although I cant remember his name. :mumble:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
From what I understand, Bicycle trials was a way for the Moto Trials guys to practice. It just kind of evolved into its own sport. Moto was first.

In one of the Freeride Films, there is a guy named ?? Leary riding Moto Trials, who I SWEAR looks like Dennis Leary's brother or somthing

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
BigMike said:
From what I understand, Bicycle trials was a way for the Moto Trials guys to practice. It just kind of evolved into its own sport. Moto was first.
Yes, it was a way of introducing young riders, then became it own thing.

butthead

Chimp
Dec 17, 2001
Las Cruces, NM
hucker13 said:
He's also in a series of videos called "Balancing Act" that are moto-trials videos. I find it amazing watching these guys hop around like the bike trials guys can do.