Quantcast

Every use cyanoacrylate [krazy glue] to heal thyself?

Have you used Cyanoacrylate [or related] products to Heal Thyself?

• Yes - And it worked

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Yes - But I suffered from irritation and complications

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - You're all freaks and I refuse to participate!

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • No - But I might - Now that I've got some info...

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I've used it numerous times to seal deep skin cuts. I get a very small scar [sometimes none] and without constantly re-opening it, avoid infection and resultant tenderness.

Anybody else do this?

Info:

"The use of cyanoacrylate glues in medicine was considered fairly early on. Eastman Kodak and Ethicon began studying whether the glues could be used to hold human tissue together after surgery. In 1964, Eastman submitted an application to use cyanoacrylate glues to seal wounds to the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Soon afterward Dr. Harry Coover's glue did find use in Vietnam—reportedly in 1966, cyanoacrylates were tested on-site by a specially trained surgical team, with impressive results. In an interview with Dr. Coover by the Kingsport Times-News, Coover said that the compound demonstrated an excellent capacity to stop bleeding, and during the Vietnam War, he developed disposable cyanoacrylate sprays for use in the battlefield.

“ If somebody had a chest wound or open wound that was bleeding, the biggest problem they had was stopping the bleeding so they could get the patient back to the hospital. And the consequence was—many of them bled to death. So the medics used the spray, stopped the bleeding, and were able to get the wounded back to the base hospital. And many, many lives were saved. ”
—Dr. Harry Coover

The original Eastman formula was not FDA approved for medical use, however, because of a tendency to cause skin irritation and to generate heat. In 1998 the FDA approved 2-octyl cyanoacrylate for use in closing wounds and surgical incisions. Closure Medical have developed medical cyanoacrylates such as Dermabond, Soothe-N-Seal and Band-Aid Liquid Adhesive Bandage."

---wiki

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I use super glue all the time. I hate band aids, they always fall off. Though, I have only ever used it for small cuts, never anything thats bleeding profusely.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I work with raw foods and some of which are not appealing to open wounds.

Bandaids with surgical gloves or 'mini-condoms' are often used for deeper slashes, but I like the 'seal' of super-glue on a small wound and the fact that NOTHING gets past it.

Much happier that way.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Never used superglue but I have used roofing tar, not the best option but it was all I had at the time.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have always been told (by medical staff and EMT types) that off the shelf glues (Krazy or otherwise) was a bad idea because of some of the chemicals in them are bad for the skin and can cause bigger issues.

I have glued my fingers to themselves or to other things. I nearly glued my sunglasses to my nose this weekend after fixing the bridge.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Superglue all the time. It's great for blisters, just make a little slit in the blister, squeeze out the fluid and then squirt a little glue in there. Fixed.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I have used superglue a number of time and never had any problems at all....I carry it in my camelback when I go on rides just in case...D

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
We use it at work regularly so it's almost always open and on my bench. If you get it in there before it bleeds badly, it's like you never cut yourself. Especially useful if you have a job where you get your hands dirty/wet.

Fly

Monkey
Sep 17, 2005
Story:

This occured one time at a house party I held. The night was progressing pretty sweetly, until about 1 am when all the women left. Boozed up as we were, we decided to run around, pouring beer on people sleeping, people screwing, that sort of thing. Eventually friends of mine notice the tiled floor we just got laid, and began discussing the finer points of 'beer sliding'. Basically, you lube up any hard, flat surface with your suds, and then have comps to see who can slide the furthest on their stomach, from a running jump.

I came in a bit later, after most of the beer had been cleaned up (but still half-naked, the reason for which still eludes me). I saw one of my good friends dozing off on the couch in the lounge-room, and since I had run out of beer to pour on him, decided to wake him up by slapping my junk on his face. However, as I leaned in for the kill, I slipped on the beer my buddies hadn't cleaned from under the couch, and whacked my eyebrow super hard on a granite kitchen bench. Instant Karma.

Suffice to say, the weight for my drunken body exerted a powerful force, and the impact pretty much just squished the skin of my eyebrow apart between the bench and my skull. I desperately needed stitches, but being as drunk as I was, I decided that this sort of injury would be a tricky thing to explain. So out came the cyano, which I applied pretty liberally.

When the crusty glue eventually came off, it took my entire eyebrow (hair) with it. I looked like a douche for about a week, but the scar I have from a huge wound is tiny, and you would only notice it from about 10cm away. Cyano works a treat.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I get a lot of small slits in my fingers from veggies and packaging - very few of them actually get bloody.

But - I cut peppers, and use seasonings that hurt like the dickens! - Disposable Crazy Glue packs are de-rigour - they seal the wound 100% - something no bandaid can match.

Think of 'paper cuts' - it's perfect.

Old_Dude

Monkey
I used cyanoacrylate glue to give my former g/f a boob lift. It worked out okay in the beginning, then I guess I should've stopped because as she was standing up her left boob ended up with the nipple almost pointing at the ceiling and it was about 3 inches higher than the other one.

Oh well, live-n-learn. We broke up soon after that anyway, so, it's all good, I guess.