Quantcast

everyone okay in bigginsland (asheville)?

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
saw some crazy flood footage on the news this morning... and read this online today:

Soggy Asheville Story
One terrified woman clung to a clump of trees in the middle of the Swannanoa River near Black Mountain, N.C., for more than an hour late Tuesday after water swept her car off a bridge. Rescuers extended a fire truck ladder 50 feet over the white-capped water to reach her.
isn't that right over by your place ben?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yo!made it through ik. the flooding is insane, where i live in black mountain we had a total of 18 inches of rain in about 48 hours. it was sick. hopefully ill get some pics posted soon. i still have no water at my apartment so i cant shower or anything but other than that it came through fine.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You live on Black Mountain? That's cool. If I ever move back East, it'll probably be to Charlottesville, VA or the Asheville area, or maaaaaaybe somewhere in the New England mountains.

Anyhow, glad you're OK. Go ride Bent Creek for me when the draining is finally done.

MD

InsaneP2Rider

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
it's crazy around asheville...i drove into town and around some outer parts of the river flooding. it's nuts...and i think that it's the first time ever in this place that school was shut down for 2 days because of rain (maybe tomorrow too if they can't get the whole contaminated water thing under control).

i've heard that one of my friends was kayaking in the parking lot of home depot and then the cops came...and i haven't seen him since (his parents probably shot him :nopity: )

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
Those of us who live high up are OK. But man, it is a bad scene for for those by the rivers. Lots of homes and business' are lost. Flooding in the mountains (or hills for those Colorado mountian elevation snobs.......SkaredShtlss) is a weird phenomenon. The rivers here drain so quickly. IHurricane Ivan is right down the road and is looking mean.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
The Swannanoa River has gone NUTS!!!!!! A friend of mine lost his car..........no,seriously-----he LOST his car!!!! Can't find it yet.....floated away.

Biggins.......wasn't aware you live over at Black Mountain either. For some reason, I don't know, I was under the impression that you were somewhere between Brevard and the Charlotte area. Hmmmmmm......wierd. OK, carry on.

InsaneP2Rider

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
alot of the big rivers are like over 15 foot up (just a guess). it's amazing...

this area usually has pretty moderate weather...i would have never expected something like this