Quantcast

Evil bike for DJ

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
Which bike is better suited for DJ the Evil Soveirgn, or the Evil DOC. Im going to be building up a DJ bike.
Also what do you think about a Vanilla R for the Fork.
Also what other suggestions would you make about components and such i think im going to run a nine speed.
Would you suggest SRAM or Shimano?

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
if you have the extra cash for the sovereign get it! you certainly will not regret it. They are both similar frames but the sovereign is far more reformed. the tubing is far superior, elevated chain stays, steeper HA, shorter stays and stronger.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The DOC really needs a 3" fork to handle right FYI. I really love mine for DJ and urban, it's set up SS and with only a rear brake. Why not just get a vertical dropout bike if you're running gears, though, and you won't have to worry about the complexity.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
what does the vannilla have for travel? The sovereign was design with up to a 6" fork. I'm currently running mine with a 65mm travel fork and the HA is 72 degrees. Look at the charts on evils site to see the different setups.

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
ohh sorry i wasnt specified the number of gears i just meant i was not going single speed. My Fisher has a nine speed and its just way too much shifting:nope: . Also would you runa road or mountain cassete.
Also what do you think about DeeMaxes for teh wheels

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would run an 8 speed road cassette. Shimano is better than Sram IMO. Personally I would get green. I would never run DeeMaxes, check out Sun MTX or Singletrack rims, or Ryno Lite XLs if you're light and smooth like me.

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
ok im about 5'9" and about 135lbs.
but im growingso you would go wiht the green,
because i definetly wouldnt run deemaxes on a green bike.
It would look like a big pile of puke
also is it really worth the $400 extra for the soveirgn over the DOC

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
IMO the Sovergn isn't worth it. I can e-mail you pics of my DOC if you want to see one built. Those wheels you posted are expensive. For $130 or $140 you can get Rhyno Lite XLs on the same hubs w/ black DT 14g spokes and black nips at JensonUSA. You're light so you'll be fine as long as you get them properly trued and tensioned off the bat.

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
ya sure send me some pics
my email is
ihacklander@mail.com
or you could just post it here
also what are the differences between the DOC and the soverign
besides the steel. I dont really mind buying expensive parts, but do you think i will break alot of things DJing

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Not my favorite cranks, but they look OK. With the wheels those are expensive for no reason. I hate Mavic rims, they don't last at all. Why spend money on an inferior product? The Sovergn has more trail-oriented geo while the DOC is more DJ/Freeride. The steel is better on the Sovergn but do you really need 853?

What kind of riding will you be doing? If it's just DJ, I would go for Deity cranks w/ an e13 crownwheel and supercharger and a DOC. If you want to do more trail riding or you have money burning a hole in your pocket go for the Sovergn. After all, you'll have more money for eventual repairs.

I'm going to get Deity cranks and go to micro BMX drive.

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
i truley have no idea what the numbers mean
so are you saying the Soverign is not good for DJ
but im used to doing all the jumping on my Trail bike
so i doubt it could hurt at all

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The headangle on the DOC is slacker, meaning it's more stable.

W/ a 3" fork it works well.

The tubing on the Sovergn is similar to the DOC in that it's heat treated Reynolds. The DOC tubing is already better than most steel so I wouldn't worry about it.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
Bicyclist said:
IMO the Sovergn isn't worth it.
Have you ever tried a sovereign frame? How can you say it's a trail bike and not good at DJ's when you have never used one. I would have to say that the sovereign is worth every penny more. I have owned both the DOC and Soveriegn and the small refinements that were done to the sovereign made a huge differance. I use my sovereign for DJ/park and it has been the best frame I have ever used for it. Most of evil's pro's prefer the sovereign to the DOC. here are a few pictures o fmy sovereign.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've got a doc and pretty much only use it for dirtjumping. A buddy of mine rides for evil and once the sovereign came out he started riding one. He's on number two now and really digs it. We've got really similar setups and I can hop on his bike and do everything I do on my doc.

The only thing I notice as being any different is the headtube angle. His is a tad steeper. Sizing, wheelbase, top tube etc is pretty negligible. I don't really see the reason to spend the extra coin on a sovereign if you're waffling between the two. There's just not enough difference there.

So here are some random ride pics that have no relevance to anything really.:D

Sovereign.

DOC

sinisteridge

Monkey
Jan 22, 2006
holden it down in h20 town`
bicycleman said:
also do people run bmx style grips or mostly mtb grips
aight, not trying to be mean or ne thing. but do you have any clue what you are doing in this build? you are talking about getting an extremly expensive bike, but you dont even know what kind of grips to run. im not trying to flame you at all here, but before you go out and spend 2000+ on a bike. do some research to see if you acaull need a bike of this caliber. i know your jsut here to get some info, but before asking 10000000000000 questions, go to your LBS and talk with them. and btw i run ody ruffian grips on my DNA and i love um
;) but its all preference in the grip, and most all parts on a bike.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
sinisteridge said:
aight, not trying to be mean or ne thing. but do you have any clue what you are doing in this build? you are talking about getting an extremly expensive bike, but you dont even know what kind of grips to run. im not trying to flame you at all here, but before you go out and spend 2000+ on a bike. do some research to see if you acaull need a bike of this caliber. i know your jsut here to get some info, but before asking 10000000000000 questions, go to your LBS and talk with them. and btw i run ody ruffian grips on my DNA and i love um
;) but its all preference in the grip, and most all parts on a bike.
this thread reminds me of some else on another forum, sinisterridge do you know who that is?:sneaky:

sinisteridge

Monkey
Jan 22, 2006
holden it down in h20 town`
again. im not gunna get into it but its all prefrence. if you want a fast accelerating bike that is more or less a glorified BMX cruiser go with 24's. if you want a true, fast mountain bike go with 26's. its all pref. decide what you want your bike to feel like and i can throw together a spec sheet for it. jsut shot me a PM

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
This is the thread that never ends, it just goes on and on my friend. Some peolpe started posting not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting forever just because it is the song that never ends. This is the thread that never ends, it just goes on and on my friend. Some peolpe started posting not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting forever just because it is the song that never ends. This is the thread that never ends, it just goes on and on my friend. Some peolpe started posting not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting forever just because it is the song that never ends. This is the thread that never ends, it just goes on and on my friend. Some peolpe started posting not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting forever just because it is the song that never ends. This is the thread that never ends, it just goes on and on my friend. Some peolpe started posting not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting forever just because it is the song that never ends.

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
:) :mad: :help: :oink: :mumble: :rofl: :hot: :rolleyes: :love: :nopity: :redX: :redhot: :clue: :clue: :cool: :dead: :redhot: :rolleyes: :mumble: :nopity: :nopity: :mumble: :mumble: :mad: :oink: :hot: :nopity: :) :help: :mumble: :hot: :love: :redX: :clue: :dead: :drool: :bomb: :angry: :nuts: :banghead: :devil: :eviltongu :agree: :monkey: :nope: :wonky2: :confused: :stupid: :nonono: :eek: :thumb: :looney: :mad: :oink: :rofl: :rolleyes: :nopity: :redhot: :cool: :blah: :ouch: :p :think: :weee: ;) :sneaky: :wave: :D :evil: :trophy_br :o: :heart: :teacher: :( :dancing: :stosh: :looney: :thumb: :eek: :nonono: :stupid: :confused: :wonky2: :nope: :monkey: :agree: :eviltongu :devil: :banghead: :nuts: :bomb: :angry: :drool: :dead: :clue: :redX: :love: :hot: :mumble: :help: :) :mad: :oink: :rofl: :rolleyes: :nopity: :redhot: :redhot: :cool: :blah: :ouch: :p :think: :weee: ;) :sneaky: :wave: :D :evil: :trophy_br :o: :heart: :teacher: :( :dancing: :stosh:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Go to your local big box sporting good store. Ask them for a dirt jumping MTB so they can sell you one of these...

mistaare

Chimp
Dec 22, 2005
ufdff15 said:
It's about 28-29lbs but it's very solid,i weight over 200lbs and everything is holding up perfectly.

i just ordered a very similiar build-up. sovereign, SS, mech disks (front & rear), bmx three peice, RS pike. i am really hoping that its under 30lb's :rolleyes:

(im kinda a weight weenie:) )