Quantcast

EVIL DOC ... HT facing? BB chasing?

tonygiant

Chimp
Jun 11, 2005
Evil Doc owners,

Did you have your headtube faced/reamed, and bottom bracket chased before you built it up? I dont know how much frame prep work goes into frames before they leave the manufacturer. Especially frames that are built over seas.

My LBS wants $35 to face the headtube, and $40 to chase the bottom bracket. I think its pretty damn expensive. Evil Doc costing $450 + $75 = $525 frame. Hmm... why dont on frame makers do this kind of stuff before they sell their products.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i paid $40 to get that done to mine. your shop sounds expensive.

also, have the seattube cleaned out.........

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
I got my DOC from unreal cycles. The headtube and BB were already done. The frames I have bought from my LBS were done for free. Are you buying the frame from the shop, or getting it somewhere else and having the LBS do it?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I paid........$50-60 to have them face the Headtube and face each side of the BB, chase threads. I was told on my bike (specialized P.1) that I didn't need to do it but it would just assure a better fit of everything.

But......it's all up to the shop's prices. Some are more, some are less (and that goes for experience too).

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
we charge about $40 and it is a lot of work to do, and it has to be done just right. plus the tools to do it cost a fortune. most HT are good out of the factory, get your BB chased, it's worth it, otherwise don't expect to instal/uninstal your BB more then 4 times till the threads are shot. if your runnig an outboard bearing setup then get it faced to. if not your fine.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
oh yeah, i got my bb shell faced, as well. pretty important if you plan on running Profiles. and the reason i got my headtube faced/reamed was because i was using a King headset.

tonygiant

Chimp
Jun 11, 2005
swerve76 said:
I got my DOC from unreal cycles. The headtube and BB were already done. The frames I have bought from my LBS were done for free. Are you buying the frame from the shop, or getting it somewhere else and having the LBS do it?
I bought my frame from beyondbikes.com in San Diego and not from my LBS. Yeah, I think the price my LBS quoted me for is a little steep.

And is it really necessary to get the head tube reamed? Wouldnt facing be enough?