Quantcast

Evil DOC

thestevej333

Chimp
Aug 23, 2004
Austin, Texas
I am seriously considering buying an evil DOC and am looking for input from anyone who has ridden one. My only concern is the long top tube, i rode a voodoo shango once that felt awful which had a long tt. I am tempted to get the long size because i am a little over 6'4'', which would add another inch to the tt. Just want to get informed before i make a purchase. Thanks.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
BMXman said:
well I'm only 5'9" and I bought the regular...I should have bought the long...D
I've had one of each now...........got the small, wasn't too happy with it and then got the large........ahhh......much better.

I'm only 5'7"ish.

But I do know someone who's around 6'2" who rides a small.

As with any frame, find one you like the size of and take some measurements to compare with the one you're looking to buy.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
I'm 5'11'' and i ride a regular. It's alot more like a BMX cruiser than a mountain bike in the size department, but that's why i bought it. I'm going to SS it and throw some 24's on it too.

thestevej333

Chimp
Aug 23, 2004
Austin, Texas
Thanks guys, it seems like most of yall who have ridden one are pretty happy with it. Im looking for a smaller frame for dj and 4X so its sounding good so far. I have ridden a 14 inch loki that felt alright(although wery bmx-esque, and smaller than i would want to own) so im not worried about too small up to a point. The frame i have now is a medium haro escape, no stand over height and a little bit xc-ish. Its worked great and ive had tons of fun on it but i think its time to upgrade to something that will feel better and be more flickable for my lanky ass, and the DOC seems to fit the bill (plus its not super expensive).

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
thestevej333 said:
Thanks guys, it seems like most of yall who have ridden one are pretty happy with it. Im looking for a smaller frame for dj and 4X so its sounding good so far. I have ridden a 14 inch loki that felt alright(although wery bmx-esque, and smaller than i would want to own) so im not worried about too small up to a point. The frame i have now is a medium haro escape, no stand over height and a little bit xc-ish. Its worked great and ive had tons of fun on it but i think its time to upgrade to something that will feel better and be more flickable for my lanky ass, and the DOC seems to fit the bill (plus its not super expensive).
sounds like you've got it all figured out! :thumb:

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
kidwoo said:
I've had one of each now...........got the small, wasn't too happy with it and then got the large........ahhh......much better.

I'm only 5'7"ish.

But I do know someone who's around 6'2" who rides a small.

As with any frame, find one you like the size of and take some measurements to compare with the one you're looking to buy.

its weird too, because when you look at the specs on the doc, the claimed tt length is like 23 for the short, and 24 for the long. This is like 2 + inches longer then anything else in its class.

If you're 5'7" and you felt cramped on the small, these measurements must be off, or measured differently then every other frame.

so I'm 6'2", and I was thinking it'd be sick to build up the Long with 24" wheels, would it just be completey too small for me or what?

remember I'm used to riding dj/street rigs.

musicman

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004
thestevej333 said:
gonna order a frame this week(definately red). will post pics after i build it up.
its gonna be so f*in sweet w/ ur jumper fork up front, and whats that now like 4 evils in austin. r getting the long ?

thestevej333

Chimp
Aug 23, 2004
Austin, Texas
musicman said:
its gonna be so f*in sweet w/ ur jumper fork up front, and whats that now like 4 evils in austin. r getting the long ?
yeah im getting the long, cant wait. I may have to wait a couple weeks though be cause evil is out of them, but its all good the haro will work till then.

thestevej333

Chimp
Aug 23, 2004
Austin, Texas
I'm gonna do my best to make it out there, my brother is in town and i gotta do stuff with him in the morning but ill probably be out late afternoonish till dark.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I have a question about the doc, maybe one of you guys can answer it.

After looking at the frame on the evil website, I noticed that it has a 69 degree Head Angle with a 3" fork, and 68 with a 4" fork. This seems really slack for a street/dj bike.

Have any of you had issues with this? my current frame has a 71 degree head angle, and I love it for street, I really like the doc, but I am a bit hesitant in buying one because of this.

should I be concerned?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
scurban said:
I have a question about the doc, maybe one of you guys can answer it.

After looking at the frame on the evil website, I noticed that it has a 69 degree Head Angle with a 3" fork, and 68 with a 4" fork. This seems really slack for a street/dj bike.

Have any of you had issues with this? my current frame has a 71 degree head angle, and I love it for street, I really like the doc, but I am a bit hesitant in buying one because of this.

should I be concerned?
I just measured mine for you. It's 69 with a modified (about 100mm) sherman. I know for a fact that the stock 80mm sherman jumpers are noticibly shorter than my fork. You can tell in the pic it's longer.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
69° is pretty slack for a DJ/Street bike if you ask me, but it depends what you're used to. If you ride a lot of DH it'll probably feel great. If you ride BMX it'll prolly feel slow and horrid.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Huey said:
My mom owns a DOC with a 4 in travel fork on it. I have not noticed any adverse side effects from the slack headtube angle. I own a P2 with a DJ1, and the DOC is far and away better than the P2.
Your MOM?

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
I was running a .243 with a 5" travel DJ1 and a 24" rear wheel. good for hucking; not the best street set up. if you were ever into the 24 rear wheel, the evil's head angle feels like that, but with a 26," if that makes any sense.

it is slack though. one thing to consider is that the higher axle to crown height of the marzocchi will exaggerate this. for this reason, I'm looking into picking up an 06 Pike.

one other thing I forgot- when i get a fork with a shorter axle to crown, my bb height will be lower as well, which will be a good thing.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
DOC's ride pretty damn good. I wish I could get one, but popped for a Banshee Scratch brand new for $820. They ride really good for $820,.....actually, both ride pretty damn good. The Banshee has a lower TT though.