Quantcast

Evil/E.13 DRS + Diabolus Crankset. Necessary mods

Mar 1, 2004
Montreal Area
Alright, here's the story. I got my Race Face Diabolus cranks in last week, and wanted to install them. But, for this to work, I had to change somethings to the guide.

So, for those of you who are interested, here's the mods I had to do to get everything to work on my E.13 DRS chainguide.

Ok, for the Supercharger bashguard. I needed to grind away a part in the crankarm recess for the arm to clear and I had to grind notches where each of the 4 bolts go to clear the spider. That was easy enough....

Next, the chainguide itself. There are a few ways to do this. You can either mount it to the BB or use the supplied ISCG mounting tabs. Either way, there is something that needs to be done.

A) Mounting it to the BB : You'll need to add a very thin spacer between the backplate of the guide and the BB Cup. This should bring the width of the Backplate + Spacer to 3.5mm. Normal spacers supplied with the diabolus cranks are 2.5mm so you'll need to remove a 1mm chainline spacer.

B) Mounting it using the ISCG tabs supplied with cranks : First, you'll need make the whole big enough to clear the BB cup. I removed approx 3 to 4mm of material all around and it fits perfectly. To get it right, just but the cup through the whole and draw the circle around and you'll know how far you need to cut. Next, attach the chainguide to the ISCG tabs. Before installing it, you'll want to grind away some of the top of the 3 screws used to install the guide. If you don't, the bolts that hold the granny ring in place will clip the chainguide screws. You'll want to take off about 1mm of material on these....

After all this is done, you're ready to install everything and enjoy riding. For reference, I used the ISCG tabs to install my guide and I have 1 1mm black spacer/seal on the non driveside and 5 spacers on the driveside to achieve correct positionning of the chainguide. For those of you who installed the guide using a spacer between the guide and BB cup, you'll want to use only 1 spacers on the drive side and 4 on the non-drive side (always excluding the red spacer/seal located in the drive-side crank arm.

For chainguide setup, follow the instructions for a 113mm spindle.

All right, I hope this is clear enough for you guys who might be considering this combo, or have it and have yet to set it up.

Also, it may seem like a fair amount of hassle, but I feel that it was worth every penny and drop of sweat... the cranks and guide are awesome.

Alright, sooo.... carry on ! :P

Aug 24, 2004
I have a srs on my diabolus cranks, I got my bashguard to fit just by squeezing it onto the crank arm, it was just a tight fit. I did have to make the hole on the boomerang bigger, no big deal though.

Mar 1, 2004
Montreal Area
Hmmm... odd... cuz mine really wouldn't go on.... I tried bashing on the bashring to get it in, but it wouldn't work... but when I cut the notches where the 4 arms are, it fit like a glove...

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
Great info. My LBS and I struggled with this for 2 hours on Friday trying to line up my DRS & Diablous on my 02 Stinky Deelux.

Here's my set up from non-drive to drive. Left to Right if the bike was upsided down and you were looking at it from the rear wheel.

Non-Drive Side
Crank------3.5mm preload elastomer-----2 1mm spacers----- Bearing---BB

Drive Side

BB------1 1mm spacer-----E13 BB mounted guide (non ICGS)----Bearing---1mm spacer---Crank Arm

I think I'm missing something cause the non drive side is way to far from my BB and it's throwing my whole set up off.

Help!!!!!!!

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
sirsleepsalot said:
How did you set up your DRS ? Did you use only one roller plate ? (the plate on which the roller slides for the adjustements)
I was able to use both. It worked out great only there's more of my bb sticking out of the non drive side. I'll keep messing with it until it's perfect. It's no fun but man what a stiff set of cranks!!

Jonas

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
East Coast Represent!
Sup Fellas?

SirSleepalot, thanks for the run down - it always helps out when customers are willing to give a little back in time and energy. Everybody wins.....
Anyhow, for the future the injection mold for the bashgaurds has been modified to accept even the Saint cranks. They are already being distributed for the year - so sorry about the hassle of the dremel and such - you guys just missed the boat. We try to keep abreast of all compatability issues and make changes asap but the process can be drawn out sometimes - so thanks for putting up with the delay. The Diabolus can be a little tricky depending on the frame b/c of all those spacers, but the crankset rocks and the potential set up hassle is well worth the time. If any of you ever run into any other issues please feel free to get in touch directly at 207.772.3132 or support@e13components.com

Regards,

Jonas