Quantcast

Evil, Snipes, .243 HARDTAILS!

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Well if my Ac sells looks like i can chose between these three bikes. A snipes elemental (DJ2 fork i'd build the rest from there), a evil imperial (most expensive) and a .243. All would cost under a grand when done (imperial very hard to find if not impossible for that price). Can i get some opinions on these bikes, i'd like an evil but they're hard to find, and i can also get a sick deal on a Snipes. Also if anyone in NJ has one of these bikes please let me know so maybe i could ask you a few ?s and maybe arrange a test ride? If anyone has any other reccomendations feel free to throw them in there

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
acair422 said:
its hard to find one complete for under a grand, actually damn impossible

Well, frames are $750 so I think complete for less than $1000 is an unrealistic thought yes. I doubt you can build up any of the others rasonably well for that price as well. Maybe save up a little longer?

statorjso

Chimp
Jul 7, 2004
I've got a .243 frame that I've been collecting parts to build up for a while now.... it's burly for sure, the geometry and design is real good and it's been refined over the past couple years. I'll definitely have mine builr up for under a grand but that's using some cheap parts (Deore derailleurs, ALIVIO shifters and levers, crappy Shimano mechanical discs) but also a lot of good parts (Pig Pro, 03 DJII, DK Chopstix cranks). I bet you could build up a quality .243 if you get good deals, I know that's how I got mine.

BTW, my (new) frame might be for sale for the right price....

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Well i was thinking of doing something very similar to wat statorjso is doin, did you get that frame new or used? what frame is it......------I'm looking used not new so i think i could do it for under a grand if it's used

statorjso

Chimp
Jul 7, 2004
.243, I got mine new for used price (and it included a Pig Pro HS). I got LUCKY with an ad on pinkbike for the frame.... actually I got really lucky with quite a few classifieds, I got a new set of DK Chopstix cranks for 50 damn dollars shipped, got the DJII on closeout for $175. It's all about hunting around and knowing the places with the lowest prices. I know there is a user on this board, I think his name is [un], with a brand new Planet X Pitbull frame for sale for cheap, it's geometry is pretty much identical to the .243 frame I've got.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
i say go for the .243. i've got one built up with a dj2 and it just feels perfect. there was no getting used to it period, i sat on the bike and felt right at home on it. the rear wheel is kind of a pain to take off, but whatever. it's burly and the geometry is dialed. i use mine for dj's, drops, and dh'ing and run it in the middle dropout position.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i'd be using the bike for DJing, urban, and trail riding, i'll let my m1 take care of the DH :)

statorjso

Chimp
Jul 7, 2004
Square, are you running yours SS?

acair, how much budget do you have left, and what parts do you still need to acquire?

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Looking for HT only, i'm still waiting to sell my Giant Ac Air (which will be my capital for this HT) but after that's all said and done i plan to have around $900 or so for the whole bike, i need everything as of right now.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
o sorry i thought that was the short travel frame, It's a little too heavy for me though.....

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Checkout a cannondale chase they come with a decent build and at about 1100. Just save a few more bucks. I'd say out of the ones you listed id get the evil first then 243 then snipes way last.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
can't save up anymore, all future money i make has to go to DH----what about a brooklyn park bike? one thing i dont like that i saw on the website is you have to run a 24in rear wheeel

statorjso

Chimp
Jul 7, 2004
And BMWs are expensive, probably in the same range of the Imperials, due to their small volume and high desirability. The Imperials are expensive because they are aluminum and have quite a few intricate design elements. I would say go for a more basic steel frame for affordability.

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
I have a .243 built up right now and it ROCKS. I'm gettin into DH now though so i'm looking to get rid of it. Gonna be selling/trading the 03 243 frame (american BB horizontal drop outs) and an 03 set of hope M4's 7" front and 6" rear. Possibly even the profile BB, crank arms and crupi pedals.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
let meknow if you do and how much you want for that------did the bike feel really heavy when it was built up?

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
Well it weighed in at 39lbs..... But that was with an 04 Z.1 FR ETA Prime bite tires (8lbs with DH tubes) profile crank Arrow DHX rims front and rear chain chain tugs and all. It was basically the heaviest of parts you could buy. weighed in at 35lbs with k-rads for street and dirt jumping

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
get the .243, they have great geometry, or check out the identiti 666, they are super cheap, Like $280 for the frame, and are super solid!

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I've tested the 666, and its a great ride, but I don't know where you can find one to test yourself

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
acair422 said:
me either.....this is a problem
I'll be selling my Imperial very soon, probably parting it out for the most part. If you can wait a little longer I can probably put it in your price range.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I have an Evil so I am biased. I love mine. I have just started riding DH, urban, park, "hucking", DJs, earlier this year & once I got my evil I had a bike that could do it all. I have ridden it at bottleg canyon, keystone, raced DH on it in Arkansas, ridden in Moab, I am still learning how to DJ on it, love riding herbun & park on it (even though i cant do $hit yet). And since I crash alot it is perfect since it is indestructable. You can scoop one up used too for a pretty good deal if you keep an eye out.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
thats a sweet set up my biggest concern with the evil is that for some reason it looks hard to jump and do some urban stuff with, how much does your bike weigh and how do you like the breakout fork?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
acair422 said:
thats a sweet set up my biggest concern with the evil is that for some reason it looks hard to jump and do some urban stuff with,
Do you have any basis for that opinion/concern or is it just pulled out of thin air? The fact is the Imp is extremely easy to jump with and it's a great street bike unless you like chainstay grinding (never good with an Al bike). It's light (6lbs) and can be set up with super-short stays that make it easy to bunnyhop, manual, and wheelie-drop.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
acair422 said:
thats a sweet set up my biggest concern with the evil is that for some reason it looks hard to jump and do some urban stuff with, how much does your bike weigh and how do you like the breakout fork?
Thanx.
If I didnt ride DH on it, it would be overkill.

Once you ride one you will see it has weird mystikal confidence inspiring powers. I have tried new stuff this year I have never done (drops over my head, doubles...i said i was new to DJing ;) ) but this is also my first time ever owning a "freeride" frame, so....

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
well the bike looked heavy but I finally got to test ride an evil this weekend (2 actually, one with a DC fork, one with a SC) both had dual 24s which i didn't like, but the bikes still rode nicely and were ligther then i thought. What about a 24 Bicycles Le Toy III, and i just found out i can get a good deal on a Identiti Dr. Jekyll.......Does anyone have either of those bikes ?? if so if you're from the NJ area think i could get a test ride of some sort?

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i like evils but what about bikes like the Giant STP, or Cannondale Chase? There are so many options idk what to get!!!!!!!!!