Quantcast

Evil Sovereign as a dedicated trail bike

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
I know there have been countless threads and I've read most of them, but I was hoping for some additional info from those of you that have had the bike for a while. I am looking to build a dedicated singlespeed trail bike with updated geometry. This is the DH forum, and I'm asking about trail bikes...

What worries me are the 'bike feels short' statements and the slack seat tube angle -- which I think is the reason the bike feels short. I don't plan on running more than 4" of travel the majority of the time.

I guess I'd like to improve some of the charateristics of my current singlespeed, without compromising too much 'XC-wise.' The Sovereign is a decent investment and I dont want to make a mistake.

Thanks.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
I feel confident that the Sovereign will excel how ever you build it. I have mine built as a park/DJ bike and I end up taking it on XC rides once or twoce a week and it performs very well.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I think when set up properly as a trail bike or for xc ... i.e. 4" fork and a stem of over 80mm, it's not going to feel short at all. Similarly, I wouldn't run it in the 15.5" chainstay.

What I've found is that lots of people are running the bike w/ a 50mm stem & saying that it feels short... hmm. The specs are pretty spot on for a trail bike & xc imo.

and there are 2 sizes... the long is pretty long... if i remember correctly, the tt is about 23.5" on the long.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I absolutely LOVE my sovereign as a trail bike, i use it to ride some burley east cost ramp infested stuff as well as strict xc. I have it set up damn light too, Mavic Crossmax XL's,Sram Carbon X.O stuff, Thompson, Light casing tires, xt cranks, juicy carbons and a Ti seat.

The only "heavy" part is the 36 Talas I have hanging on the front, but i usually run it slammed and it complements the biek perfectly. Like dump said i am running mine with a 60mm stem (i believe)...and the thing rails like you cant believe. The long is very long and i wouldnt recomend it unless you are 6'1 +

Here are a few pics (added the carbon x.o rear mech and shifters since):

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I'd like to add that this bike is really one of those frames you want to purchase and NEVER get rid of, you can always find a use for it...

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
My sovereign gets used mainly for trailriding these days and its absolutely perfect. The handling is on the quick side for my standards but thats also likely because I've run it at about a 15.6" chainstay since day one. Its the one bike I've owned that I've never even thought about replacing. I'm 6'2" and ride the long model with a 45mm stem and it feels about perfect for me. Depending on perference I think people up to 6'5" at least could ride it comfortably. Probably the most immpressive aspect of the frame that doesn't get mentioned very often is its shock absorption. There's some magic in that tubeset that allows you to put the power down with no wasted energy and yet still absorb the chatter like its not even there. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better frame option anywhere - the sovereign is as good as it gets for a hardtail trail/street bike.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I was very strongly considering using a sovereign for my next trail bike, but I cant see how it would ever perform like a bike designed SPECIFICALLY for trails. I mean, I understand that it can work, but the fact that it can also take on DJs, Parks, FR, etc, TO ME that says that it is overbuilt for trail purposes.
Also just look at the amount of seat tube you have to run to get a decent pedal stroke out of the thing. Maybe some more sizes would have warmed me up to it too, instead of just LONG or REGULAR.

I got a Cove Handjob instead. Still steel. Still tough, but a more traditional geom, just not quite the BLING (or the price)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
BTW, manhattan, my cove is virtually IDENTICAL to your evil except I got a van130r instead of the beast. What's yours weigh?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
BurlyShirley said:
I was very strongly considering using a sovereign for my next trail bike, but I cant see how it would ever perform like a bike designed SPECIFICALLY for trails. I mean, I understand that it can work, but the fact that it can also take on DJs, Parks, FR, etc, TO ME that says that it is overbuilt for trail purposes.
Also just look at the amount of seat tube you have to run to get a decent pedal stroke out of the thing. Maybe some more sizes would have warmed me up to it too, instead of just LONG or REGULAR.

I got a Cove Handjob instead. Still steel. Still tough, but a more traditional geom, just not quite the BLING (or the price)
You really have to ride one to understand why it took so long to develope and why it costs so much. The price is totally worth it in my eyes. Like said above the thing absorbs everything, i couldnt say enough good about the bike.

I recently got back from a moab trip where i was riding with a bunch of buds on 6/6 and 5/5 bikes in all the spots (porcy and amasaback)...My bike was totally up to the task of taking all the square edge rock hits that you encounter bombing those trails, i was really impressed with how well it held a line at DH speeds...

:love:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
BurlyShirley said:
BTW, manhattan, my cove is virtually IDENTICAL to your evil except I got a van130r instead of the beast. What's yours weigh?
My bike weighs in at about 28, might be lighter right now though with the x.0 stuff. It is basically as light as i can get it without sacrificing durrability. I am hoping these new xtr cranks are solid, ill be running a pair of them soon.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
manhattanprjkt83 said:
My bike weighs in at about 28, might be lighter right now though with the x.0 stuff. It is basically as light as i can get it without sacrificing durrability. I am hoping these new xtr cranks are solid, ill be running a pair of them soon.
You can fob off those crappy old XT cranks on me if you want. I know you'd probably just rather give them to me instead of having those ugly old things kicking around the house.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
manhattanprjkt83 said:
You really have to ride one to understand why it took so long to develope and why it costs so much. The price is totally worth it in my eyes. Like said above the thing absorbs everything, i couldnt say enough good about the bike.

I recently got back from a moab trip where i was riding with a bunch of buds on 6/6 and 5/5 bikes in all the spots (porcy and amasaback)...My bike was totally up to the task of taking all the square edge rock hits that you encounter bombing those trails, i was really impressed with how well it held a line at DH speeds...

:love:
If the cove fails, or is not what I want it to be when I can finally ride, then I will look at an evil. I like that it is made in the states, I just have my reservations about "do it all" bikes. As in, they do NOTHING right, but everything ok. If I have a dedicated trail bike, I want it to be the BEST for that application, not simply acceptable. I dont think there is a way that a bike can be perfect for both street and trail. But I have been wrong before.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
BurlyShirley said:
If the cove fails, or is not what I want it to be when I can finally ride, then I will look at an evil. I like that it is made in the states, I just have my reservations about "do it all" bikes. As in, they do NOTHING right, but everything ok. If I have a dedicated trail bike, I want it to be the BEST for that application, not simply acceptable. I dont think there is a way that a bike can be perfect for both street and trail. But I have been wrong before.

I totally agree about the "do nothing right" aspect, but this really doesnt work out this way, like i said i ride this for all kinds of crap, not dh though (obviously). It is built as an aggresive xc bike and performs great as such. I was coming off a chameleon that i loved and dont miss it at all...

We might have a deal with the cranks...

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i totally agree, build it up as whatever you want. i own a Doc. and sure its considered more the park bike, but i put up the seatpost all the way and ride it XC. beautiful geometery

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
My size long sure as heck doesn't feel too short, even with my 70mm stem.

Makes a good trailbike for me at 5'11"; full extension is easy.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
colin, where are you based? There's gotta be a sov or a doc somewhere near you :) I saw a green one while driving down the 101 a couple weeks ago.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
BurlyShirley said:
Hey Burley,
I hear what you are saying, but the Sovereign WAS designed for trails.
It says so right on Evils website. Some people use it for street because it is adjustable, but it was meant to rip trails from the get go.
And they have the D.O.C. for the park/street guys.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Jeremy R said:
Hey Burley,
I hear what you are saying, but the Sovereign WAS designed for trails.
It says so right on Evils website. Some people use it for street because it is adjustable, but it was meant to rip trails from the get go.
And they have the D.O.C. for the park/street guys.
:redX: :redX: :redX: :redX: :redX: :redX: :redX: :redX: :redX:

http://www.evilbikes.com

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
The Sovereign was designed as a dual purpose bike, one that could rip in the parks and on the trail. It doesn't have the Imperial's "swiss army knife" geometry, but it does rock for both Trail riding and street riding. I first recognized the possiblity of doing a bike like this after listening to Imperial feedback from Evil team riders back in 2001-2002. I personally think that the bike rides pretty exceptionally well in both applications, and it has gotten a few pretty stellar magazine and rider reviews in both setups. At 6lbs weight, its in the range of an XC bike, but it has the strength to let you push the envelope. As always, a test ride is what its all about. You have to get on one to see what you think and go from there.

Have fun!

Dave

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
my DOC had a really high BB height that made the bike horrible in corners. Loved the geometry other than that. If they made the a 26" specific version of the DOC with a 12" BB height, it would be money..

I've switched to a Specialized P3 with almost the same geometry (except fr the 12" bb) and I'm pretty happy with it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
What travel fork were you running? My reg DOC w/ a 3" fork felt perfect for me, steeper and lower than w/ a 4-5" fork. Money.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
pbr said:
If they made the a 26" specific version of the DOC with a 12" BB height, it would be money..
The Sovereign would fit that description perfectly. Although the 2 frames seem similar they are soooooooo different. If you haven't tried a Soveriegn, TRY ONE! I have owned a DOC and a Sovereign and the DOC doesn't come close to the Soveign!

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
BurlyShirley said:
Also just look at the amount of seat tube you have to run to get a decent pedal stroke out of the thing.

I used to think the huge seatpost thing was lame, but having low standover with a fairly steep seat tube makes for a really versatile frame. I for one am glad that manufacturers are finally realizing that a capable XC bike doesn't need to be top heavy and non-adjustable.

I'm really happy with my STP as a trailbike and it obviously rocks on urban and djs. With some semi-treaded tires like the holy rollers or the k rads, I really don't even have to switch rubber around for most of the city singletrack.

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
Bicyclist said:
What travel fork were you running? My reg DOC w/ a 3" fork felt perfect for me, steeper and lower than w/ a 4-5" fork. Money.

dirt jumper 1 with the short travel kit. The BB height was over 13". Not so great for berms and slalom racing. Great street bike(although I think it would have been better with 24" wheels), just wrong for racing.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
i'm with pbr, I'd love to see a bike from Evil w/ the same geo as the DOC except a 12.25" b.b. heigth w/ 26" wheels (100mm fork)!

I owned a sovereign and felt the headangle was too steep for my liking.

With a Trail set up (longish stem/light wheels/long c.s. setting) the sovereign would make a great choice for technical singletrack riding.