Quantcast

Excessive wait for lift tickets?

PCinSC

Chimp
Jun 17, 2007
Anyone heard whether the Diablo front office is going to streamline the lift ticket purchase process? On Sunday morning between 9 and 10am the wait was almost 45 minutes. That just seems excessive, especially since that wait is eating almost an hour from riding time. There was lots of grumbling about the wait in the ticket line and at the bottom of the lift that morning so I know I'm not the only one with a complaint. My next trip to Diablo will probably be the US Open, with the crowds they have that weekend I hope these issues are worked out by then.

I realize that a buying a season pass would eliminate having to wait for a day pass but for many people (including myself) that's just not feasible since I'll mostly be on the mountain 5 or 6 days this season but not the 8 or 10+ it would take to pay for itself.

At some point they opened up a "cash only" line, if that's going to continue the I'll be bringing extra cash for a lift ticket on future visits. Notice of that (or other fast-pay) option on the website or forum or via email would be great.

I'm not even sure if Diablo management frequents these forums anymore (are they on Pinkbike now? Did I miss the memo?), but I'll put out a couple of (unsolicited) suggestions anyway, maybe one is a possibility for improving efficiency.

• Let people know as they come in the door via signage or some other means that they need to fill out a liability waiver before they get in line. Obviously repeat customers know the drill, but many newbies (and forgetful oldies) on opening weekend did not. And when the line is long (stretching all the way across the storefront) customers tend to seek out the end of the line and miss the "waiver station" that is closer to the register.
  • If a customer does happen to arrive at the register unprepared then have them move to the side to fill out the waiver and then help another customer while they are doing so. While waiting on Sunday I witnessed multiple times when a cashier just waited while the customer took a minute or two to fill out the form. That minute or two could be used to help another customer or two that are prepared with a completed waiver and are just purchasing a lift ticket. When the line is 30 or 40+ people long that type of efficiency is crucial.
  • Have a couple of employees on hand to specifically to help people rent or purchase equipment. It seemed like the transactions that took the longest (and which each seemed to involve the greatest number of Diablo employees) were those that involved an equipment sale or rental in addition to a lift ticket. If they need to get fitted or have questions, that customer should absolutely get help, just not at the time expense of the long line of other customers, most of whom are likely just waiting to purchase a lift ticket. It's likely employees are still getting training and the kinks are getting worked out, but it did seem like the staff was a bit unprepared for the masses.
  • Implement an online purchasing system for day passes. That way a customer can print out a receipt (with a bar code) and walk up to a dedicated "pre-paid only register", hand in their completed waiver and receipt and get a lift ticket (which has been pre-printed out by Diablo staff)...total transaction time likely less than 30 seconds.
  • What time does the ticket office open? If it doesn't open before 9:00am...it should. Maybe it does, and I just didn't realize it, in which case I'll get to the office earlier (or at least to get towards the front of the line). Opening before 9:00pm could possibly ease some of the congestion that was seen in the morning. I'd even be willing to pay a buck or two extra to purchase an "early pass" and be on the lift when it opens at 9:00am (that goes for the online purchase also). If the ticket office does open early, put that info on the website and in the newsletters.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass customer here, and it's likely that Diablo is already doing one of more of these (or other) things to help improve the situation, but maybe things just haven't clicked yet. And everything else about the park is great: the lift is fast (with minimal wait even when it's busy), the new trails are awesome and once the early-season trail maintenance gets completed I'm sure everything will be in top shape. Just get the front end service sorted out and the place will be aces.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Anyone heard whether the Diablo front office is going to streamline the lift ticket purchase process? On Sunday morning between 9 and 10am the wait was almost 45 minutes. That just seems excessive, especially since that wait is eating almost an hour from riding time. There was lots of grumbling about the wait in the ticket line and at the bottom of the lift that morning so I know I'm not the only one with a complaint. My next trip to Diablo will probably be the US Open, with the crowds they have that weekend I hope these issues are worked out by then.

I realize that a buying a season pass would eliminate having to wait for a day pass but for many people (including myself) that's just not feasible since I'll mostly be on the mountain 5 or 6 days this season but not the 8 or 10+ it would take to pay for itself.

At some point they opened up a "cash only" line, if that's going to continue the I'll be bringing extra cash for a lift ticket on future visits. Notice of that (or other fast-pay) option on the website or forum or via email would be great.

I'm not even sure if Diablo management frequents these forums anymore (are they on Pinkbike now? Did I miss the memo?), but I'll put out a couple of (unsolicited) suggestions anyway, maybe one is a possibility for improving efficiency.

• Let people know as they come in the door via signage or some other means that they need to fill out a liability waiver before they get in line. Obviously repeat customers know the drill, but many newbies (and forgetful oldies) on opening weekend did not. And when the line is long (stretching all the way across the storefront) customers tend to seek out the end of the line and miss the "waiver station" that is closer to the register.
  • If a customer does happen to arrive at the register unprepared then have them move to the side to fill out the waiver and then help another customer while they are doing so. While waiting on Sunday I witnessed multiple times when a cashier just waited while the customer took a minute or two to fill out the form. That minute or two could be used to help another customer or two that are prepared with a completed waiver and are just purchasing a lift ticket. When the line is 30 or 40+ people long that type of efficiency is crucial.
  • Have a couple of employees on hand to specifically to help people rent or purchase equipment. It seemed like the transactions that took the longest (and which each seemed to involve the greatest number of Diablo employees) were those that involved an equipment sale or rental in addition to a lift ticket. If they need to get fitted or have questions, that customer should absolutely get help, just not at the time expense of the long line of other customers, most of whom are likely just waiting to purchase a lift ticket. It's likely employees are still getting training and the kinks are getting worked out, but it did seem like the staff was a bit unprepared for the masses.
  • Implement an online purchasing system for day passes. That way a customer can print out a receipt (with a bar code) and walk up to a dedicated "pre-paid only register", hand in their completed waiver and receipt and get a lift ticket (which has been pre-printed out by Diablo staff)...total transaction time likely less than 30 seconds.
  • What time does the ticket office open? If it doesn't open before 9:00am...it should. Maybe it does, and I just didn't realize it, in which case I'll get to the office earlier (or at least to get towards the front of the line). Opening before 9:00pm could possibly ease some of the congestion that was seen in the morning. I'd even be willing to pay a buck or two extra to purchase an "early pass" and be on the lift when it opens at 9:00am (that goes for the online purchase also). If the ticket office does open early, put that info on the website and in the newsletters.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass customer here, and it's likely that Diablo is already doing one of more of these (or other) things to help improve the situation, but maybe things just haven't clicked yet. And everything else about the park is great: the lift is fast (with minimal wait even when it's busy), the new trails are awesome and once the early-season trail maintenance gets completed I'm sure everything will be in top shape. Just get the front end service sorted out and the place will be aces.
You're a customer, they should do what it takes to make your experiance better and comfortable but diablow blows at this and that's just the way it is, I doubt it will change.

ride4fun

Monkey
May 23, 2008
Long Island
Everything you said makes tons of sense. I was waiting a long time too. I don't think it will get better - they have so much great things this year, and are promoting the park more, so of course, many people want to come out and ride the hype!!

I just hope once the water park opens, things don't get worse, with parking and longer lines - clashing with water park guests.

What Diablo should do, is sell tickets a half hour before the lift starts. OR sell $2 beer all day just to make up for the long wait :happydance:

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
You're a customer, they should do what it takes to make your experiance better and comfortable but diablow blows at this and that's just the way it is, I doubt it will change.
Platekill wasn't too quick getting my lift ticket opening weekend either...:brow:

Last edited:

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
Great post PC, well said. I think most of us know Diablo isn't known for their customer service, not their forte. All your points are spot on, you shouldn't feel like a "pain in the ass customer". Pay for a service, you have a right to voice your constructive criticism.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
i have never had problem with customer service? what are you talking about? what problems have you had? yes the first few weeks are always like this because of the season pass shananigins. once everyone has there info it will go faster.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
This may sound rude, but, oh well. I was there on sat. and the people running the register are no different than the people at mcdonalds that cant get your order right . They dont care about being efficient, or even care if we ever get a lift ticket. They get paid $50 or $60 a day before taxes at the most, and all their tiny little brain see's is diablo net $15,000.00 in the first three hours, while they get table scraps.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
This may sound rude, but, oh well. I was there on sat. and the people running the register are no different than the people at mcdonalds that cant get your order right . They dont care about being efficient, or even care if we ever get a lift ticket. They get paid $50 or $60 a day before taxes at the most, and all their tiny little brain see's is diablo net $15,000.00 in the first three hours, while they get table scraps.
sounds like my job :banghead:

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
To remedy some of your wait time, why not print out the waivers from www.ridediablo.com (print out a bunch of them) and sign then at home before you get diablo, have them in your car....

i have a season pass... the season just started, there are some changes....

Change is... In..... evit...able.......

:picsstfu:

Terrier

Chimp
Sep 11, 2007
To remedy some of your wait time, why not print out the waivers from www.ridediablo.com (print out a bunch of them) and sign then at home before you get diablo, have them in your car....

i have a season pass... the season just started, there are some changes....

Change is... In..... evit...able.......

:picsstfu:

just curious...what kind of changes are associated with season pass holders?
Will I still have to show an id and obtain a lift pass?
or are they issuing true "passes" that will eliminate this process?
Any info is appreciated since I will most likely be there this weekend...

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
The lift doesn't open before 9:00 am. And diablo can't really control that. That would be up to mountain creek. And diablo isn't as big of a corporation as whistler aka disney land. Give them a brake, don't bitch on the internet. IF you feel there should be a change go apply for a job there and make a difference. If you don't like lift access and great trails, go to plattekill.

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
agreed, but platty did give me a fast card thing, so that may help in the future
Yeah but that was at the end of the day when people were already gone way before us. Plattekill had a lot less riders than Diablo too. I am not complaining, but the beginning of the season is always like this. People need to get season passes, sign waivers etc....

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
just curious...what kind of changes are associated with season pass holders?
Will I still have to show an id and obtain a lift pass?
or are they issuing true "passes" that will eliminate this process?
Any info is appreciated since I will most likely be there this weekend...

i dont think there is going to be a pass, but they have pictures so i dont think you will need to show id any more, just last name.. but again im not 100% sure

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Basically if you're a season pass holder, on your first visit of the season they'll take your picture. Every subsequent visit you don't need to show ID, just tell them your last name, they'll pull up your account, if the picture matches your face, they'll give you your lift ticket.

Like last year there's no physical "pass". Also, last year, I'm pretty sure I stopped showing ID about halfway through the season, they'd just ask me for my last name and since they'd seen me a bunch of times before they'd print out my lift ticket without seeing ID. So to me, the new system isn't all that much more efficient since if you're a season pass holder you'll probably be there enough that they'll recognize you anyway.

jbro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
In the past a diablo rep would have jumped in and calmed everyone down by now, Whats up? It was reassuring hearing someone who was affiliated in some way with the park was listening to the multitude of complaining going on.

Do you still get lift tickets in the same building?​

demo9pro

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
NNJ
i have never had problem with customer service? what are you talking about? what problems have you had? yes the first few weeks are always like this because of the season pass shananigins. once everyone has there info it will go faster.
I've never had a problem either, everyone up there is always cool to me and have been for the last four years. I'll bring some tissues for the whiners this weekend.:biggrin:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
In the past a diablo rep would have jumped in and calmed everyone down by now, Whats up? It was reassuring hearing someone who was affiliated in some way with the park was listening to the multitude of complaining going on.
then theyd also talk about how great their park is and how its the Premier Bike park in the country and blah blah blah

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
1. Ride until you get caught for not having pass
2. Get pass when there is no line
3. ???????
4. Profit

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
they didn;t take a picture of me last week, i'm a season Pass holder.... i feeel rejected... down, sad. I shall commit suicide... but first i'll get a few runs in tomorrow... :imstupid: