Quantcast

Exclusive Driver 8 Photos

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
dont understand the point of this bike !?
imo, it looks like an unfinished idea and replacment for the v10 and not a freeride bike.

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
the diff in travel say nothing about a bike !

when a bike is slack ,low, has 8" of travel ,no f derailer option ,and a price of a high end race frame ,than i dont think its a freeride bike.
when your'e considering that most dh frames are 8" today and that even intense are lowering the travel on the next m6 ,the number 10 will (imo) wont last for long.

i guess time will tell.

Last edited:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Looks like a DH race bike......that's raceable on anything except full-on "Macho" courses.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
dont understand the point of this bike !?
i took a few laps with the engineers, testing the prototypes in whistler, back in september and grilled them about the bike.

the intent of the bike is supposed to be the ultimate park bike, meant for thrashing whistler all day, all week, all summer long.

where the V10 is meant to be an ultra-light world cup race machine, the driver 8 is meant to take more long term bike park abuse with less maintenance (8 bearings and grease ports in lower link). the driver 8 supposedly jumps better, with less sag, it's snappier and more nimble...less of a "plow bike".

i dunno, with more and more lift access bike parks popping up, this bike makes a lot of sense to me.

it looks great. i want one.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I like the look of it (mostly). The geo looks good from what I see and I like idea behind it. Dont like the seat mast / upper link arrangement - looks cobby.

Is this the replacement for the VPF? Someone mentioned earlier about SC needing to build a short travel FR bike like the Intense Slopestyle - I completely agree.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Based on what was posted on the former Driver thread (and what is printed in the Dirt article), it appears this is to be more of a free ride bike...Or "straight hucker" bike as it were...Sounds like the frame weight will actually be a little bit heavier than the current V-10 (so around 10.5 lbs?), so it's pretty burly IMO. Interesting that in the Dirt piece they are celebrating the low leverage ratio aspect, whereas on the current (and last) generation V-10 it wasn't considered a disadvantage...Having ridden a 2nd gen V-10 for quite some time now, I don't think it's an issue at all (no blown shocks, no noticeable fade on longer runs, and PLENTY of functional adjustments on my CCDB), but maybe they're saying the higher leverage ratio at the beginning of the stroke is good for macho DH, and lower ratios are "better" for a more "playful" feel...Regardless, I would love to try one out if the angles and BB height were right (something similar to the Intense SS geo would be nice, or maybe a touch slacker)...Also glad to see they used some beefy chain stays to keep it stiff in the back...

And props to Dirt for the insight.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^
Thanks for the link...I should've checked it myself. That said, SC really needs to start publishing not only their bikes' static angles, but what the geo is at proper sag...At 67* HA and a 14.5" BB height, it *seems* like 'Double Down', retaining wall hucking numbers...The V-10 has a high static BB, but it obviously is plenty low with all that sag, so I suppose the Driver would also get down there as well. I wonder if SC has a trade in program? :monkey: