Quantcast

Extended stay in the 'injured clique'

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Well, yeehaa!!!

I have level II impingement(sp) of the left shoulder and level I in the right.
Turns out I have a hooked acromion on both sides that would probably benefit from surgery...

Basically its my call so I have to decide if I want to be cut, and if so should I do just one shoulder or both. The surgery is called subacromial decompression... involves basic inspection of the shoulder with an arthiscope(sp) and modification (shaving) of the acromion bone to relieve the main rotator cuff tendon. With the surgery Ill be in rehab for 3-6 months and have very good chances of 100% strength and flexibility recovery.

Without the surgery I still have to do rehab but the way the doc was talking it sounds like my tendon has very little clearance between my arm bone and my acromion bone so it is likely that impengement may return down the road :(

Pretty bummed here. Either way my summer if fahked and my checkbook... well its fahked too, my insurance doesnt cover 100% of the surgery which is VERY expensive for both shoulders :( :angry:

All in all I give my body :stosh: for being a lemon.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
A combination of that and the hooked acromion.

The acromion is the bone that forms the roof of the shoulder... mine curves downward at the end creating a slight clearance problem for the main tendon and the bursa sack.

Take that and add 15 years of competitive swimming and you get 2 jacked up shoulders. Like I've said before... swimming may have given me a college edumacation for free, but I get to pay for it now.

:nuts:

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Bummer bro. Now swimming/water polo is college doesn't look quite so tempting- I've already been swimming for close to ten years and already have shoulder problems. Best of luck.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
riderx said:
Second opinion? With so much on the line I'd think it would be worthwhile.
I dunno man, I saw the images of my shoulder compared to a normal shoulder and the doc is right I have no clearance for the tendon. He says with age that bone probably will calcify some and if-so it'll cut into the tendon for sure... in other words, I'll be having surgery, its just a question of when. I'm leaning toward just having him cut both shoulders...

Last time I was injured and had to go through rehab I was back in the pool after 3 weeks making my natl' cuts when the doc said it would probably have to take the season off. As I see it the longer I wait/the older I get, the harder this will be to achieve and the longer it will take to recover.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
golgiaparatus said:
A combination of that and the hooked acromion.

The acromion is the bone that forms the roof of the shoulder... mine curves downward at the end creating a slight clearance problem for the main tendon and the bursa sack.

Take that and add 15 years of competitive swimming and you get 2 jacked up shoulders. Like I've said before... swimming may have given me a college edumacation for free, but I get to pay for it now.

:nuts:
swimming paid for my edumacation as well as an entrace to a University of california (not too shabby!)

22 years and counting of competitive swimming. currently hurting from a 2400 meter distance set. ugh.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
slowSSer said:
swimming paid for my edumacation as well as an entrace to a University of california (not too shabby!)

22 years and counting of competitive swimming. currently hurting from a 2400 meter distance set. ugh.
Man we use to have a couple sets that use to screw me up for a good 2-3 days... one of them was the '5000 for time' the other was the 10x100 brst on the 1:10 from a push followed by a 200 brst for time (starting on the same interval), oh that was a burning mo-fo.

Actually we had quite a few bad sets, but this is the one I recall at the moment

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
The Kadvang said:
Thats fhucking fast! 10 x 100 brst on the 1:10! I made CCS and my 100 brst time is like a 1:06. Jesus.
Yards mang.

0:57 here

I use to do that set with the first few being around 1:02, the middle few would be 1:04-1:06 the last couple were around 1:08-1:10 getting little to no rest... then came the piece of crap 200 for time for which I was usually pretty worthless.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
slowSSer said:
damn. glad I was a distance flyer.
I was a flyer too. best time was 0:51 yards
brst was my best stroke by far though

What always sucked is that the 100fly was always right after the godanm 100 brst so I never could fully recover from 1 event to the other I never reached my full fly potential.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
golgiaparatus said:
I was a flyer too. best time was 0:51 yards
brst was my best stroke by far though

What always sucked is that the 100fly was always right after the godanm 100 brst so I never could fully recover from 1 event to the other I never reached my full fly potential.
my best ever was a 54....in the opening 100 of a 200 fly- ended up going 1:52 on that bad boy. could i go that fast in a flat-out hundred? no. best 100 (only) was a 55. i was much the same with distance free as well.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
slowSSer said:
in the opening 100 of a 200 fly- ended up going 1:52 on that bad boy
I was always a sprinter and my splits would always reflect this fact. Still, my coach use to insist that I swim the 400 IM, he was a real jokester... I puked on his deck sandals one day after the 400 IM, it was my way of saying thanks coach I love this event. Even after that he still use to put me in that godanm event. My face went numb at the Elite meet in OKC one year, WTF is up with that?!

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
golgiaparatus said:
I was always a sprinter and my splits would always reflect this fact. Still, my coach use to insist that I swim the 400 IM, he was a real jokester... I puked on his deck sandals one day after the 400 IM, it was my way of saying thanks coach I love this event. Even after that he still use to put me in that godanm event. My face went numb at the Elite meet in OKC one year, WTF is up with that?!

ah, the 400IM. still one of my favorite events- I swim it at every masters meet. my breaststroke sucks, but I still love the event.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
slowSSer said:
ah, the 400IM. still one of my favorite events- I swim it at every masters meet. my breaststroke sucks, but I still love the event.
I was mostly lacking in the backstroke... I had one of the worst backstrokes in the history of swimming.

Check it:
Best times ever:
Free 0:48
Fly 0:51
Brst 0:57
Back 0:56 (see what I mean!)

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Man, sorry to hear that! I grew up swimming, and have had lots of friends with problems. Not necessarily caused by swimming, but brought out by it.

In an interesting coincedence, I went swimming today for the first time in a while, did some free, breast (that was my best stroke when swimming competitavly), and then I decided to do back. I used to be pretty good at it, and when I went to do it today, my left shoulder, which is the side that I broke not so long ago, gave me immediate pain. I swam through it a while, and then my fvcked up right shoulder popped out. :angry: I decided to finish out the day with breast stroke

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
The Kadvang said:
You are too fast for me. Thanks for making me feel insignifigant and small.
My job here is done :monkey:

Seriously though... dude your only 16. When I was 16 my best time was 1:02. If'n you want to get fast you gotta work real hard. From the time I was 16 to about 23 I was pushing around 12-13,000 yards 6 days a week (and I was a sprinter). I was also lifting 3 times a week and riding my road bike about 60 miles a day in the off season. Not to mention I was on a very high carb/calorie diet to match.

NOTE: I was lazy compared to some... my USS team had 2 distance swimmers that were ranked very high at nationals several years in a row, they were animals (1 had full ride to UT and the other to Stanford) they worked way harder than I did.