Quantcast

F* bad torque specs

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just need to throw that out there. I had a bolt on a very expensive part shear while I was tightening it with a torque wrench. Instructions from the manufacturer said 50ft/lb and it failed well before that.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Actually on the bike - an internal fork part. There are a couple of other nuts requiring 90ft/lb.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Could've been just a bad fastener and completely unrelated to the torque spec.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
By bike, are we talkin MTB or Moto?

50 lbft is pretty high for fine threaded aluminum components.

if it was supposed to be 50 lbin, thats equal to 4.167 lbft.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm also feeling this is way wrong, I'm guessing lb/in not lb/ft. Double check.
Yep. I'm an idiot. I really need to read better... Guess I need to get a new in/lb torque wrench to go with my ft/lb. I also need to replace the part, yeah! off to Sears now.

Hopefully it isn't too expensive, especially given that I buying a leg internal leg assembly and all the bits I need to rebuild the compression leg. Oh well, at least I'll have a practically new fork when I'm done. Might as well do my shock too, since the bike is completely disabled.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Certainly could have been a typo. Torquing a bolt has three stages. Pulling the parts together, preloading and breaking. Preload amount depends on the rigidity of the items being bolted and the length of the bolt.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I was really surprised that it said 50, but I just went along with it. I'll double check the doc I was working off, but the other docs I have for just travel adjust (vs. full rebuild) are in in/lb.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Off the top of my head the only that would be anywhere close to that is crank bolts or BB cups (varies by system though).

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Cassette lockrings and crankbolts should be tightened as hard as you possibly can. Use extra leverage and ask your musclehead friends to help you if needed. If either of these parts fail, you will have to strip your bike down and paint it matte black or have to purchase a new bike....

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Hey Stoney, I can get your torque wrenches calibrated for free through work if you want. Aviojet is right though, if you drop them its best to assume they are no longer correct.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Cassette lockrings and crankbolts should be tightened as hard as you possibly can.
i dont know about "as hard as you possibly can"....especially with any crank thats not a Shimano. youll just wind up destroying your BB faster with it being over tightened.

edit: or damaged your hub's cassette threads

Last edited:

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
i dont know about "as hard as you possibly can"....especially with any crank thats not a Shimano. youll just wind up destroying your BB faster with it being over tightened.

I go 3-4 clicks on a cassette lockring. Never had one on my personal bike (or known of a customers) come loose. Crank bolts, sure, crank the hell out of them. But remember, any bolt has it's breaking point. Standing over the bike with it in the stand, using a Park 8mil, grab the other crank, and pull hard. That always does the trick.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

I think that was sarcasm dude.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
On the plus side, you will probably only make that mistake once.
The sad thing is that in 10 years wrenching, this is the first time I tried to follow torque specs on a bike. I'm going to go back to tichtening by feel.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The sad thing is that in 10 years wrenching, this is the first time I tried to follow torque specs on a bike. I'm going to go back to tichtening by feel.
Not needed to go that way, what you really need to do is go off specs and feel.... As in if you end up reading a 50lb spec, remember what it felt like coming off....... if it comes of easily, you know you read something wrong.

There is nothing on a bike you cannot torque to spec with an Inch pound torque wrench

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I recently bought a Pedro's torque wrench for my bike. I was surprised at what proper torque felt like after all these years of building and wrenching without one.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Question for all you "torque" guys out there. I use a Park "beam" style torque wrench. When tightening items there is the initial torque to get it moving (overcome initial resistance) and then once it is moving the torque spec goes down. And I'm using a ton of grease FWIW.

So should I be looking at that initial static spec, or the "dynamic" one?

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles

I have built up a dozen bikes, rebuilt forks, and do ALL of my own wrenching. I don't even own a torque wrench. I usually don't even read the torque specs. When I do read something like "25 in/lbs", I try to imagine 25 pounds of weight applied 1 inch up on the wrench. Or whatever.

Never had a part come loose on the trail. Never sheared off a bolt. So therefore, torque specs = BS. ;)