Quantcast

F*** F***ing Nite rider!!!

splat

Nam I am
[RANT ON]

For 15 year I have use My homemade lights , they have never let me down ! always worked.

I finally decide to get modern system and bought a Nite rider HID from Price point. the 3rd Ride with it and it fails me ! Leave me in the Dark , on the trail in the middle of a ride! , yeah lots of fun!!

I try to get get in touch with NR they tell me Since it is new I have to go through the dealer I bought it from , fine call Price point , they say No problem send it back, I send it back to them , they tell me now they have to send it back to NR for warrenty ( since they no longer carry this model it was a close out when I bought it ) I just got a call from Price point , ( a week after I they got it , almost 2 weeks after I sent it. that NR will only refund to PP, because it is a discontinued Item and won't replace it , I could havethe option of having it "repaired" which will take an additional 2 -3 weeks or I can take a refund . I chose the Later, Because it was a brand new light and should not need repairing , and I would not trust it !

Thank you PP , F### nite rider!!

I'll live with My home mades that have always worked!!!

[/RANT OFF]

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Yeah I've heard nothing but horror stories out of NR lately.

Light & Motion blows them out of the water in every way, especially service & unfortunately price

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I finally decide to get modern system and bought a Nite rider HID from Price point. the 3rd Ride with it and it fails me ! Leave me in the Dark , on the trail in the middle of a ride! , yeah lots of fun!!
Splat:

When did you start having problems with the light? It seemed to be working fine at Whitehall last month. :confused:

Too bad about the problems. That HID was throwing a sh*tload of light.

splat

Nam I am
berkshire_rider said:
Splat:

When did you start having problems with the light? It seemed to be working fine at Whitehall last month. :confused:
It did it worked great that Night. 2 rides later ( a week) went out with SloMoJo, IF_Ried and CP, first hour was great , then it shut off , Turned it back , it stayed on for a couple of minutes , then off, then on , then off then on. Limped my Way home ( and at one point it would not fire back up for almost 5 minutes ) fianlly got out of woods . let it sitt for about 20 minutes , then it worked fine for about 45 minutes again , till it started freaking out again.

Confused the Hell out of me. that is why it went back.

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
I just bought my first HID. I was going to get the NR Storm or the Lume Strada, but at Performance they were having a deal on the Light & Motion ARC. It was $350, but with a 20% off coupon it was only $280. I joined team performance and after my fee I saved another $10.

Now, I really like this light. It is adjustable between 11W and 13.5W, and has a very wide, even beam. However, last night I had it next to my friends NR Storm. His light looked maybe a bit brighter (it had a much bigger and brighter "hot spot" in the middle, so maybe the outskirts were dimmer making for less total light output) and less yellow. Now, I couldn't see any yellow in my L&M when I first tried it out, but shining both lights at the ground, about a foot off the ground, the L&M looks more yellow. I can't tell if the NR is actually whiter, or just more blue, or just lays down its light in a bigger hot spot giving the impression of a whiter light. This is especially suprising since they use the same bulb- just the reflectors and electronics (maybe) are different. My L&M also takes longer to warm up than the NR. Is something wrong with my light? I was really happy with it until I saw the NR, but now I'm not so sure.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
From personal experience and that of friends it seems that NR halogen systems sucksucksuck yet there HID have always seemed great. This is the first I have heard of a bad HID system.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Echo said:
I've had really good luck with my Nite Riders, fingers crossed :eek:
never had any problems with mine in 2 1/2 years. I bought a new battery recently for whistler and didnt think i got a full burn out of it but since i wasnt timing my laps i'm not sure though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Toninator said:
never had any problems with mine in 2 1/2 years. I bought a new battery recently for whistler and didnt think i got a full burn out of it but since i wasnt timing my laps i'm not sure though.
Did you cycle the battery a few times? New batteries need to go through a handful of charge/burn cycles before they hit their stride.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Westy said:
From personal experience and that of friends it seems that NR halogen systems sucksucksuck yet there HID have always seemed great. This is the first I have heard of a bad HID system.
Westy, what was the light you loaned me at Dalton?

J

JRB

I feel like I should chime in again so everyone gets it. Lume Lighting. :thumb: :D

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
Between Tammy and I we have 3 Light and Motion ARC's that are about to start their third season and one L&M Cabezza Logic going on its fourth season of weekly night rides and a number of 24 hour races. They have all been excellent and the only thing I have had to do is replace the bulb in the cabezza last year.

Many of the people we ride with use nite riders and most of them have had problems of one sort or another granted not as frequently with the HID's but nite riders' failure rate seems really high for a $300-$400 light.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The other thing that sucks about NR is their helmet mounts. It forces you to put the light near the front of your helmet, which is quite literally a pain in the neck.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
berkshire_rider said:
Good to hear Pricepoint refunded your $$$. Too bad the only other lights they have in stock currently are all NR. :mumble:
I had 1 light (not NR) mess up on me and I have known soi many people that have had problems... I just buy the lights at the LBS now, instant service.

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
Do any L&M users have any thoughts about my comments on page 1?

Also, while the Lume light is really cool and high quality, I wasn't impressed with how narrow the beam appeared on the mtbr.com light shoot out (yes, it was the "wide" angle beam too).

J

JRB

towelie said:

Also, while the Lume light is really cool and high quality, I wasn't impressed with how narrow the beam appeared on the mtbr.com light shoot out (yes, it was the "wide" angle beam too).

Mine appears as wide as a Storm HID in a direct comparison. The light is whiter than the Storm as well. The coolest thing is when I called Lume to return it, since they did have, not sure if they still do, a return policy. The dude said, send your light and I will make it a wide beam. I have one of the first few. It was gone for 4 days since I sent it 2 day fed ex. The CS alone makes this thing great. I like it a bunch. L & M lights are nice, but the first one I was around did not work and was 3 weeks old. NR just sucks for CS as far as I am concerned. I don't know if you read about my charger from a Trail Rat, but didn't seem concerned that my house could have burned down. For that I say phuck them.

J

JRB

towelie said:
My L&M also takes longer to warm up than the NR. Is something wrong with my light? I was really happy with it until I saw the NR, but now I'm not so sure.

I have seen that with some friends' lights. I have also seen them not come back on due to hot ballast after they were shut off during a ride.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Wow, a rare example of Mountain Bike Tech Talk in the lounge!
This is good to know! I was going to order NR's new HID system but was holding out because of the ridiculous price.

Let's take another look at this thread in slow motion;

NR = Highest Price in the Market.....
NR = Unreliable Product.....
NR = Poor Customer Service.....

Hmmmmm :think: I'm going with Light and Motion.

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
What are you so pissed about? The product failed, which isn't surprising as every company and product isn't perfect. NR is giving you a full refund and you tell them something to the effect of go f*** themselves? :think: Take the money, be happy they gave you anything, and invest in another system. I think NR handled this situation just fine.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Maybe he's pissed when he discovered that price does not always equal quality.

If I spent 400 bucks on a lighting system and they crapped out within 2-3 weeks, I'd be pissed too. Granted nothing lasts forever or is unbreakable, but you tend to expect a little more out your equipment after spending top dollar on it.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I've been on maybe 15 or 20 rides with my LM Cabezza Logic (the dig single head) and I have had nothing but good times with it.

A friend bought a LM handlebar HID and had a bad battery when it arrived--it crapped itself halfway through a ride. He sent it back to LM and had it promptly returned. He's perfectly happy with the light now.

A lot of what I've heard about NR seems to be hit-or-miss. I would shy away from NR like I do Ellsworth.

splat

Nam I am
Honeywell said:
What are you so pissed about? The product failed, which isn't surprising as every company and product isn't perfect. NR is giving you a full refund and you tell them something to the effect of go f*** themselves? :think: Take the money, be happy they gave you anything, and invest in another system. I think NR handled this situation just fine.
I'll tell you .
1) NR would not talk to me , just told me I had to go through my dealer .
2) Pricepoint refunded my Money , Not Night rider. and that is after they sent it back to nite rider who then said they would not replace it.
3) yes , I did get my $$$ back , but it still cost me $25 , in shipping and Handeling fee's and 2+ weeks from when it failed till I was told I will be getting a refund , and then refund takes 5 Buisness days.
4) fianlly I have been running my Home made Light for 15 years, and when I fianlly decide to buy one it craps out on me ? my Home mades have never left me in the dark , the nite rider did. I expected a little reliability than the reliability I get out of Zip ties and duct tape.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
splat said:
I expected a little reliability than the reliability I get out of Zip ties and duct tape.
Good luck doing that--the combo of duct tape and zip ties is a pretty tough one to beat, even by Ditka.

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
towelie said:
I have not really noticed the L&M being more yellow than the Nite Rider but the L&M does seem to have a more even beam and not as much of a "hotspot" as compared to the Nite Rider.

The Halogen lamps from L&M have an adjustable bezel so you can fine tune the focus of the lamp. :cool:

You can always call them as they are pretty easy to get in touch with. :thumb:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Ok, so no NR for me. I just looked at L & M HID prices... still too much.

Anybody try Cygolites?

I need 'em for 24hoa and I'd rather spend more money on some comfy riding shorts than overpriced lights. I tempted to walk into REI and buy whatever they have on the shelf.