Quantcast

Facing/ Chasing tools

tonygiant

Chimp
Jun 11, 2005
Where can I get a good quality facing/chasing tool for less than $200. All the facing/chasing tools that I have seen cost in excess of $350 (i.e. Park)?

Also, for intermediate mechanic like my self would it be recommended to face my own ht and bb. Or should I leave it to the shop professionals.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Good facing and chasing tools are expensive, as you have found. I wouldn't cheap out on these things - they can seriously screw up your frame if they're not perfect.

As an intermediate mechanic, why bother? For the number of times you actually need to face and chase frame threads, you can take it to the shop and have it done for little money.

Now, if your shop tends to rape you on the cost of this kind of service, then perhaps it might be worth the investment. You might be able to find a used set on eBay.

If you have some riding friends, maybe you could all throw down a bit for a set of the tools and if any one of you ever wants to buy up the set, you can discuss reimbursing the others at that point.

tonygiant

Chimp
Jun 11, 2005
binary visions said:
Good facing and chasing tools are expensive, as you have found. I wouldn't cheap out on these things - they can seriously screw up your frame if they're not perfect.

As an intermediate mechanic, why bother? For the number of times you actually need to face and chase frame threads, you can take it to the shop and have it done for little money.

Now, if your shop tends to rape you on the cost of this kind of service, then perhaps it might be worth the investment. You might be able to find a used set on eBay.

If you have some riding friends, maybe you could all throw down a bit for a set of the tools and if any one of you ever wants to buy up the set, you can discuss reimbursing the others at that point.

Thanks for the input. Looks like I will have my LBS do the work.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I agree with above........just let the LBS do it. My LBS charged me $50-60 to face both the headtube and each side of the BB, plus chase the threads. They pressed in the Headset at the same time and installed the forks. Some shops have different fee's for everything OR something like a fork install (which includes facing the headtube and installing the headset/crown race) and it becomes cheaper then adding up every single little thing you're having them do.

Yeah, I had crown race installed, headset installed, fork installed, steer tube cut, headtube faced, bottom bracket faced and chased (both sides) for $60. That's not too bad. It'd been more if they nit-picked me to death with shop rates.

The tools are way expensive, and atleast if the LBS messes up it's in their hands. But you only use them once a frame so it's no biggy. I felt better knowing I had it done even though it was a toss up to have it done. Just a good peace of mind.