Quantcast

Fall Guy or Molly?

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Any thoughts? Have offers for both..I'm tempted to say Tonic as I've had one, but I have no experience with Mollies. Someone once told me the welding was superior among Tonics, but I don't know what to believe...

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Any thoughts? Have offers for both..I'm tempted to say Tonic as I've had one, but I have no experience with Mollies. Someone once told me the welding was superior among Tonics, but I don't know what to believe...
they both have great reputations.

maybe the choice comes down to price and v-brakes versus 990 u-brakes.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I know it's been brought up but is union street around still? I heard Haas closed their doors, that's why Solid is building one of the T-1 frames. I never see Lee on the boards anymore and he hasn't updated the facebook page since Feb.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I had a Molly and just swapped everything over to a Fall Guy. Overall the frames felt similar geometry wise but the Fall Guy just feels lighter and easier to move around. Also the brakes are 10x better on the Fall Guy. V-brakes versus 990 style made a huge difference to me.

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Cool. Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah, the fact that USB seems to be going under kinda bothers..

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
the welds on my fallguy are super nice. lots of little refinements on the Tonic that impressed me and save weight at the same time. win win.

mollys are great though. tough ass street frames imo.

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
I have the molly myself. Its a great bike. If i were to do it all over again I might go with a fall guy. Not trying to take anything away from the molly, but I something about the look of the fall guy that is just sick. The newest generation of fall guys only weigh in at 4.5lbs and have 14inch chainstays. Thats gotta be a tight ride.

On the other hand you can pick up a used molly or older gen fall guy frame cheap these days.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
I have ridden a FG... but I spent about 3 to 4 years on a Molly. I have owned every generation of the molly except the proto and 1st gen (and those I test rode Lee, Sean and Prisel's)... The molly will always be a special bike to me. It represents the very early days of RaysMTB.

Here is my take. Assuming you are 5'8" to 6'...

If you like low bars the FG will work better because it has a longer tt and shorted stays.

If you like high bars the molly will work better because it has a shorter tt and longer stays.

I really prefer jumping the molly over the fg and the all supertherm frame rides soooo nice.

I don't have any direct knowledge about the status of USB as I don't see Sean around RaysMTB anymore and Lee moved to Arizona... and Lee hasn't responded to my last couple msgs. I know they had plans for another gen of the molly... We can only hope.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Thanks for the input Axis, that's the only legit news I've heard about USB. That'd be cool to hear that they're back for another round