Quantcast

Fancy Lighter Mac n Cheese

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
This stuff completely rocks and is fairly easy to make. It has great flavor and is somewhat good for you with the spinach in it and all.

Three-Cheese Chicken Penne Florentine

1 teaspoon olive oil
Cooking spray
3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
3 cups chopped fresh spinach
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (16-ounce) carton 2% low-fat cottage cheese
4 cups hot cooked penne (about 8 ounces uncooked tube-shaped pasta)
2 cups shredded roasted skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed reduced-fat, reduced-sodium cream of chicken soup, undiluted

Preheat oven to 425°.
Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add spinach, oregano, and black pepper; sauté 3 minutes or just until spinach wilts.

Place cottage cheese in a food processor; process until very smooth. Combine spinach mixture, cottage cheese, pasta, chicken, 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, milk, and soup in a large bowl. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 345(25% from fat); FAT 9.7g (sat 5.1g,mono 3.1g,poly 1g); PROTEIN 31.7g; CHOLESTEROL 56mg; CALCIUM 275mg; SODIUM 532mg; FIBER 2.1g; IRON 2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 32.9g

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
What do you mean "somewhat good"? That recipe sounds like it kicks a$$! Served up with the some bruschetta as a starter and a nice mixed-green salad with some tiramisu to finish you're talking a right good meal. :thumb:

Oh - and let's not forget a couple bottles of nice Italian red wine. :drool:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
SkaredShtles said:
What do you mean "somewhat good"? That recipe sounds like it kicks a$$! Served up with the some bruschetta as a starter and a nice mixed-green salad with some tiramisu to finish you're talking a right good meal. :thumb:

Oh - and let's not forget a couple bottles of nice Italian red wine. :drool:
:stupid: Sounds tasty to me :drool:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
It really is one of my favorite meals now. I made it last weekend and was impressed again. It is just so full of flavor.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
mmmmmm, that sounds good. better try it out now, because i have vowed to use my oven as little as possible this summer.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Bump for an awesome recipe. My wife made it for dinner tonight. My 3 year old ate it up...so you know it's good.