Fat or Skinny Tires for you Rigid SS?

What tire do you ride on your rigid SS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
Just wondering what you guys with the rigid singlespeeds do for tire selection. I just put some 26 x 2.5 Bontrager Big Earls on mine and I don't think I'll ever use anything smaller...it's just so much more...bearable. I get skads of traction too...it's almost ridiculous.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I run 2.3s front and rear... I'd probably run bigger if I could, but I don't have clearance in the back and I do try to keep my tires on the light side when possible.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Right now I'm running 2.1s front and rear on mine and 2.3s on my wifes. It was a little rough at the start, but now that I'm used to it, it takes all the bumps with ease.

I may swap out the tires on each bike so we both end up with 2.3s on the front and 2.1s on the rear though. We'll see. Right now she really likes having big tires front and rear.

nosamiam

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
My bike (29er) came with Kenda Nevegals with HUGE knobs and they were killing me since I pretty much only ride on the road right now. So I swapped out for some 700c x 38 (let's see... that would be 0.97") slicks. Muuuuuch nicer. I don't have to fight to keep momentum now.

So, very skinny for me.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I am running WTBs, Weirwolves I think (Havent even seen my bike in 4 months...) but when I get home I am thinking about going skinny with something like the old Dart/Smoke combo...
Although I am rolling through sand alot. Any good sand tires out there for an SS?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'm running Conti Vertical Pros front and back on my 26" bike. They're sold as 2.3 but I'd say that measurement is questionable...they appear thinner. My 29er has Maxxis Ignitors (2.1).

I don't think tire size for rigid riding is as important as staying loose and letting your body absorb the terrain. Too big of a tire is going to suck up momentum that is so important in SS.

Evil plug

Chimp
Dec 12, 2005
i usually use 2.5 Nevegal folders on my SS, only cause where i ride is wicked technical, so i like to have as much traction, and extra squish as i can fit in my frame