Quantcast

Fat Tire Week @ Crested Butte?

CU-Murph

Chimp
Apr 9, 2004
Huntsville, Ala.
Hi,

Is it worth coming out to Crested Butte for Fat Tire Week?

Lodging? Where do most people stay? Camp, hotels? My sis lives in Gunnison, stay there?

Thanks!

-Robert

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by CU-Murph
Hi,

Is it worth coming out to Crested Butte for Fat Tire Week?

Lodging? Where do most people stay? Camp, hotels? My sis lives in Gunnison, stay there?

Thanks!

-Robert
I'm kinda anti-festival... when I go, I prefer less traffic and people.

However, I've heard the festival is a lot of fun, so if you like festivals, then yeah.

As for CB itself, it's friggin' awesome there! The trails and town are great. With or without the fest, you should make a trip to CB. With the fest, I recommend finding a way to spend a few days there without the crowds.

Depending upon how long you're staying, mix it up between your sister's and staying as close to CB as possible. Perhaps get a hotel for the last two nights of the fest in CB... this way you can stumble back to your room afterwards :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i went... in 1996. it was much fun. racing every which way: i did observed trials, xc, and the xc crit (i think). if you can, go. :thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
IIRC, the fest fell apart in the late 90's due to neglect. I've heard that it's pretty low-key now. I was there a couple years ago on the Sunday that it ended and I was surprised at how few bikers I saw on the trails.

-S.S.-

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
I really enjoyed the festival last year and my hubby and I are headed there this year (as sponsors, too, for our new little mountainbike art studio :)). He actually proposed to me there last year.

The guided rides were awesome, and more often then not, there were more local guides on the rides then festival participants (at least for the advanced rides). It was really laid back and intimate. Lots of cool people.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
it's way fun and ends with a cool race...I booked a room a week ago and I had a pretty difficult time finding one at the base of the mountain so late, so decide fast and wisely. Enjoy.