Quantcast

Father's Day at Buffalo Creek

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
My wife had asked me what I wanted to do for Father's Day, and without hesitation I said, "I want to go on a big-ass ride!" After talking it over with my riding buddies, decided on going to Buffalo Creek. Our usual route is around 26 miles, which wasn't quite long enough for me. "Let's do 30!" I declared and that was that. By the time Sunday arrived, everyone had pussed out except Charlie, my main partner. I was a little apprehensive that I'd bitten off more than I could chew, as I haven't put in many miles this season. New babies will tend to do that to you. But I had confidence that Charlie could pull me through, as he's been putting in lots of miles, both on dirt and road, and I wasn't disappointed.

We met up at a restaurant called The Fort, just outside of Morrison, CO.

After about a 40 minute drive we arrived at the trail head. It was going to be a beautiful day. The entire ride was in the mid 80's an hardly a cloud in the sky.

Here's Charlie, figuring out where we're going to go

The ride starts with a nice mellow 3 mile climb up an access road, followed by a moderate climb up through an area that was burned a few years ago. Here's Charlie climbing through the rather surreal area

Here's me climbing through the same area

Here's me trying to tell Charlie to F-off, but he didn't quite get it

It may be hard to tell, but that's me continuing on up

After you get through the burn area, you get on the Colorado Trail. This section of the CO trail is nothing but beautiful singletrack. Some climbing, some descending. All fun. Here's me climbing some more

As you can see, I have some Captain in me

Here's Charlie, chillin after a bit of a climb

After that, I didn't take any more pictures. I was too busy riding and wondering if I'd bitten off more than I could chew. I brought plenty of Gu and granola bars and I'd filled my 100oz camelbak with 1/2 strength Cytomax and had an extra bottle of water, but around mile 20, both quads and hamstrings suddenly cramped up bad. I didn't stop riding though, for fear that I wouldn't be able to get back on my bike. Charlie was still going strong, so he basically pulled me the rest of the way. Luckily for me, the last 6 miles are pure downhill, back down the same burn area as the first climb. When we got back to the trail head, we were both disappointed to see that we'd only put in 29.1 miles. We contemplated heading back up the access road to make it an even 30, but we both had had enough. We headed home and I spent the rest of the afternoon with my family.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
29.1 is in your 30th mile. I fully approve of a round up.

Of the places I rode when we were out there, Buffalo Creek was my favorite. I know that we rode that burn area but I remember going down that section. The only trail name I remember was Green Mountain. The sections of the Colorado trail were rippin' fun.

Looks like there was some fantastic riding across the board for Father's Day.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Nice RR, PN! Great pics.

We headed up to Winter Park after my breakfast in bed and the whole fam damly rode the bike path from town up toward the ski area. :thumb:

Keep the Commando/Matterhorn ride in mind and let me know if you're game.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
DRB said:
29.1 is in your 30th mile. I fully approve of a round up.

Of the places I rode when we were out there, Buffalo Creek was my favorite. I know that we rode that burn area but I remember going down that section. The only trail name I remember was Green Mountain. The sections of the Colorado trail were rippin' fun.

Looks like there was some fantastic riding across the board for Father's Day.
There are a few different trails that go through the burn area. The trail that we rode up was the Shinglemill Trail, and then we rode back down through the burn on the Sandy Wash Trail. We hit Green Mountain also at around mile 11 or 12. I was going strong up to that point, but pushed it a bit too hard toward the top of GM and that's when I started to wonder if I was going to make 30.

Yeah, it looks like a number of people had good rides this weekend.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Nice RR, PN! Great pics.

We headed up to Winter Park after my breakfast in bed and the whole fam damly rode the bike path from town up toward the ski area. :thumb:

Keep the Commando/Matterhorn ride in mind and let me know if you're game.
How many miles for the Commando/Matterhorn ride? After yesterday, I realized that my short 1-hour morning rides just aren't cutting it for developing stamina.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
pixelninja said:
How many miles for the Commando/Matterhorn ride? After yesterday, I realized that my short 1-hour morning rides just aren't cutting it for developing stamina.
The one we're doing will be Commando->Matterhorn->Meadow Mountain. I'm guessing it'll probably be pushing 40 miles. Of course, there's always the bailout option in Vail which would likely put the ride at a bit under 30, IIRC.

We're adding Meadow Mountain in to make it a "mini epic" ride. :thumb:

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
The one we're doing will be Commando->Matterhorn->Meadow Mountain. I'm guessing it'll probably be pushing 40 miles. Of course, there's always the bailout option in Vail which would likely put the ride at a bit under 30, IIRC.

We're adding Meadow Mountain in to make it a "mini epic" ride. :thumb:
"mini epic"

You are one twisted f*cker :D

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Well, our Man Day ride has not been finalized yet, but one of the crazy bahstids that does it and I have discussed a masochistic triumverate in Crested Butte:

Upper & Upper Upper
Teocalli
Deer Creek

:eek: :thumb:
I'll be ready... with all 36 lbs of bike too

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
pixelninja said:
hee hee hee... if mostly DH. Don't know about meadow mtn. though. Gonna try to do this run Thursday. You're more than welcome to come.

A

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Ascentrek said:
hee hee hee... if mostly DH. Don't know about meadow mtn. though.
The Commando->Matterhorn is definitely mostly DH - the only significant uphill is the fire road out of Sundown Bowl. It's less than 2K. Meadow Mountain appears to be a bit less than 2K of climb as well.

Should be a pretty "easy" day. :D

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
SkaredShtles said:
The Commando->Matterhorn is definitely mostly DH - the only significant uphill is the fire road out of Sundown Bowl. It's less than 2K. Meadow Mountain appears to be a bit less than 2K of climb as well.

Should be a pretty "easy" day. :D
pffft.... forget that, go straight down to Minturn and head up Game Trail to the Matterhorn.... oh, right... Game trail is brutal!