Quantcast

Fatty Preston Build has Begun!!!!

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Hey guys well I am stoked got all my parts and my build has begun today.. I have a bunch of beer and 2 days for this build.. I just wanted to post my stats and just wanted to see what you guys thought of the build if there is anything I should add or upgrade... Thanks :thumbsup: Oh I am a Fatty at 240lb and I do mainly AM / light freeride and want to get into some DH since I moved right next door to Diablo Park In NJ. I am just getting back into things after about 2 years off cause I really tore up my ankle bad. Anyway just wanted your opinions

07 Preston DHX 5.0 Coil
Pike 454 Coil Uturn
Avid Code 5 203mm F&R
Azonic Outlaw Wheels 36H
Syncros Gain Bars & AM 70mm Stem
Chris King Headset
XT Componets, 11/34 cassette XT Shifters
Race Face Atlas 175mm
E-13 DRS
Stepdown Pedals
Azonic Dunce seat
Nevegals 2.35's

My frame!!

My Outlaw wheels

My parts stack felt like X-Mas all week love UPS guy

My New Code 5's thanks to Ride This..... $200 bucks shipped they owed me one :)

My Bling NYC freeride Collar

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i've been told that a preston would be a good next bike for me. does anybody know what i can expect with it? i'm pretty sure there is no way for me to test one, but i'd like to. i'm planning on racing some of the local DH races (very non technical) as well as riding technical singletracks and freeride trails in santa cruz. words of wisdom?

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
lol could be.... So what do you think about the Pike.. Transition swearsby it for the preston but I was thinking of upgrading to the Fox 36 or the Marzocchi 66 or the new 08 55 ata?? Or should I just finish the season with the pike and seehow it is. :huh:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i have a pike on my DJ bike, it has been awesome, but i think that a fox 36 would be all the better. a marzocchi 66 would be overkill on a preston, balanced travel is important. it's hard to balance travel on a 5 inch travel freeride bike though, so i'd say limit yourself to 160mm maximum, but have adjustable travel. that way you can rake out the bike for downhills and have extra gush, and then when it comes time to grind up a hill, you can lower the fork to like 100mm and have a comfortable, steep head angle. i would trust the guys at transition on their recommendations, but i'm also thinking about a preston, and i'm going to use a fox 36 talas.

3Pin Rider

Chimp
Jul 13, 2007
PNW
I run a Pke 454 dual air on my 05 Preston and it works perfect for me. Super light, stiff, climbs and descends well. I like the easy access flood gate valve so I can firm it up if I'm gonna hit a big drop or some DJs. The U Turn doesn't offer me much advantage though as my sag takes me that low anyways.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Yeah I have the Pike 454 Coil went coil cause I am 240lb.. I am gonna run it for a bit and see hwo it works out for me, I just really want to start DH especially since Diablo is right outside my door.. What about the New 08 Zook 55 ATA 125mm-165mm I think I may wait for that the price is supposed to be a bit cheaper than 07 due to the nickle sanchions and they are supposed to be lighter aswell I think 4.73lb for that fork which is pretty damn good. The other thing is a can get a killer deal on a 07 AM SL or should I just wait :bonk:

3Pin Rider

Chimp
Jul 13, 2007
PNW
Ride the Pike and don't worry about those other forks that are not on your bike. You'll love it. I find the Pike the perfect compliment for the Preston.

If I were you, I would get a DH bike too if you truly do have Diablo out your back door.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
I would like too...$$$$$ Just bought a house to get here so a little strapped right now. But I think the ptreston will suit me fine for my type of riding I want to start riding DH but not just strictly DH I am more of AM.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Why does your frame appear to be different colors in the different pictures. I love the build but I'd personally go with a 36 on it. My little bro has a preston with a 36 and I love it. And at 200+ how long do you expect the your atlas cranks to last on drops and "real" dh runs. I'd go with saints or something of the sort.

Edit: and thats a dhx air not a coil.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Why does your frame appear to be different colors in the different pictures. I love the build but I'd personally go with a 36 on it. My little bro has a preston with a 36 and I love it. And at 200+ how long do you expect the your atlas cranks to last on drops and "real" dh runs. I'd go with saints or something of the sort.

Edit: and thats a dhx air not a coil.
Yeah flash... I have the DHX coil that was a loner dhx that ride this sent me so I can get going since they sent me a wrong frame and made me wait, They also gave me some new Code 5's for 200 bucks for my troubles they are some cool dudes did me a real solid. My buddy is about 210lb and he ride hard 10-15 drops like its his job and his Atlas cranks have not blinked so I am cool with them, I am a saint fan like em but the Atlas are some tuff cranks seen them with my own two eyes.. And myself I dont do bigger than 5 drops.. The 36 may be a upgrade for my I really like the new zook 55 ata, I will see right now I have the Pike 454 that I got for $400 so I will use it for the season and see what happens. The guys at Transition swear by the pike for the preston

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
You got an estimate for the weight of the bike? Those damn prestons climb like tractors. Everyone keeps making fun of my XC bike.